Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Are there anycheap RTF gas helis?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Are there anycheap RTF gas helis?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 06:55 PM
metabolicmaggot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there anycheap RTF gas helis?

I have a electric Aerohawk and it works for crap (has no lift) so I was looking to go to gas. Are there any RTF gas helis? or what is the cheapest complete gas heli, I am on a very low budget.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:13 PM
gsk11740

Default RE: Are there anycheap RTF gas helis?

Oxymoron
äk-sE-'mor-"än
noun
a combination of contradictory or incongruous words (as cruel kindness); broadly : something (as a concept) that is made up of contradictory or incongruous elements

The words "Cheap", "Gas" (or Nitro) and "Heli" simply don't go together in the same sentence.
Actually, in my experience, "Cheap" and anything related to R/C Helicopters don't go together.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:30 PM
metabolicmaggot

Well whats the cheapest one?
~500 i hope? i think i heard 800
Old 12-03-2006, 09:09 PM
gsk11740

I've never owned a nitro heli myself but I did some quick hunting around before I wrote this and did find one kit for $219 (Gohbee Stinger 30) but that was for the basic barebones kit, not including motor or anything to fly it. When you start adding on the essentials needed to actually get it in the air, I imagine the total would probably easily exceed $800. They had the same one but added on a OS 37 Engine and Futaba GY401 Gyro w/ S9254 Servo for $539 so you get an idea of how fast the cost goes up. That still doesn't include the radio and who knows what else it takes to fly it. I'm not sure but I don't think Gohbee is one of the more expensive brands either.

I found the electrics were expensive enough and went back to flying planes for a while to allow my smoldering credits cards time to cool off! For what it's worth though, I have an electric heli (Walkera 36 with an Align 430 brushless) that has no shortage of power. It can lift off like a rocket. I know there are a lot of other electrics that are a lot better than mine. I'm not familiar with the Aerohawk but it looks like a fixed pitch from the pictures I could find. I don't think fixed pitch helis are known for a whole lot of performance. I've heard the Falcon 3D is a pretty good deal for $299 and from the videos I've seen, it seems to perform well.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:14 PM
rsiaviation

ORIGINAL: metabolicmaggot

I have a electric Aerohawk and it works for crap (has no lift) so I was looking to go to gas. Are there any RTF gas helis? or what is the cheapest complete gas heli, I am on a very low budget.
I also had an aerohawk and thought it was crap. I never had it in control for more than 20 seconds. But you should give electrics another chance and for the most part electrics are cheaper than gas until you get into the larger models. Just my .02.

Rsiaviation
Old 12-03-2006, 10:35 PM
Kevinator9

No RTF helis. Closetst thing is ARF. My Caliber 3 was ARF. All I had to do was screw on the boom, skids and boom supports. (Plus radio gear.)
Old 12-04-2006, 01:02 PM
HeliTB

I thought I could get into nitro cheap and I'm $900 dollars and climbing, The bad part is this is .30 size not .50 Heli
Old 12-04-2006, 02:03 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't want an RTF heli.
SO much of this hobby is being able to set up, tweak, repair and troubleshoot.
Would you like an example of why these skills are so important? Let's look at your aerohawk. Not the best heli in the world quality wise, but flyable. If it were properly set up, you would be flying it now.
So, two lessons here.
Lesson #1 - Don't buy low quality products. Do the research, and buy good products.
Lesson #2 - You need to be a heli mechanic to fly model helis. Buy a kit and build it yourself. This will enhance your setup skills.
Vince
Old 12-04-2006, 02:22 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

What Vince said. Word for word.

Cheap = junk = the aggrivation will quickly exceed the value of any money you saved.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:48 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

What Vince said. Word for word.

Cheap = junk = the aggrivation will quickly exceed the value of any money you saved.

I have to third that. If you try to go cheap, you might as well just take a few twenties out and light them on fire. Thats what you will be doing. If you don't want to do it right, then go to radio shack and get a little micro infrared heli and enjoy it. If you go glow, you will spend some serious coin and when you fly it, you will have to fix it and that will be expensive also. RC helis are not cheap. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, don't get one.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:35 PM
metabolicmaggot

Is a $350-400 used one worth getting?
Old 12-04-2006, 10:12 PM
akdude47

From what I have learned, this guy here http://raidentech.com/hearfnigasra.html is about the cheapest you will find. YOu still need to get electronics to complete the setup, but it does come with a .15 engine. I have read some good reviews on this site from users on it, in both the electric and gas version.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:02 AM
tippy

Cheap = Low Quality/not precise/hard to keep trimmed ... hard to fly/easily breaks/can't find replacement parts/toyish
Inexpensive = Low Cost

Cheap is usually inexpensive and an inexpensive heli is usually a cheap heli.

If you truly desire a "cheap" heli ... there's plenty out there. But as others have said ... you get what you pay for.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:52 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is a $350-400 used one worth getting?
That really depends on the heli. I have seen several people buy used helis. One went well. Two others looked like good deals to begin with, and were very cheap, but ended up costing as much as a new one, and then were out of date.
Not to say that there are not good deals out there. If you know the seller and know that they are not trying to dump off their problems, then you have a better chance. But I would worry about getting something with hidden problems, or that will be difficult to get parts for.

My preference would be to do research. Make a shopping list. Go to several online vendors and compare. Go to any local hobby shops and see how big the premium will be to buy though them. (I prefer to buy locally, especially if it comes with free help!)

Something along the lines of:

Heli Kit (Raptor or Hirobo 30)
Motor
5 servos (analog for budget)
Heli transmitter
Receiver
Receiver battery
Futaba GY401 gyro (or better)

Tools
Fuel Pump
Glow Drivers
Starter
Ball link reamer tool
Ball Link Pliers
Pitch gauge

Probably some things in there that I am missing, but hey, this is your research project.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:15 AM
savage 40

look here .... http://www.heli-world.com/searchresu...x?categoryid=7 I spent the $757 and am tickled at what I got..
Old 12-06-2006, 10:38 PM
metabolicmaggot

Thanks savage, I've been looking for a kit that atleast had everything.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:44 AM
degsc

try a Tower ultimate combo I think it will have everything you need for lift off for about $700-$800
George
Old 12-07-2006, 11:32 PM
savage 40

heli world beat towers ultimate combo.I got more for my money..