Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Your Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 06:15 PM
bandit409

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your Opinion

I've been reading quite a lot and have decided on some heli equiptment( I think). I need the opinion of people who know helis as I know absolutely nothing. Here is what I plan to buy as of now.

Caliber 30 arf+os32
GY401 & 9253

I think carbon blades.
I have a Futaba 6XAs/6XHs computer radio I plan to use. Will this work well with this heli?What is CCPM? My radio is FM/PCM.

What else am I going to need? I have all the field equipment for airplanes. Does anyone know if this kit will come with batteries?
Old 02-20-2003, 08:44 PM
extremeflying
My Feedback: (7)

Default Your Opinion

good choice except carbon blades u dont need em right now use woodies only about $15 ? carbon is $70 im not sure if the radio u chose will work with ccpm but im sure it does
Old 02-20-2003, 11:31 PM
ThBrtmn

Default Your Opinion

Make sure your kit does not come with a set of blades (woodies) before you buy some. I think it does though. The woodies are all you need to start. You sound new, and you when you burn you dont want to kill those nice CF blades that you spent around 50+ on. Just my 2 cents. I'm new too so take it for what its worth.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:32 AM
bobfox
My Feedback: (1)

Default Your Opinion

Sounds like you are confusing some acronyms because they sound alike.

FM is Frequency modulation- the transmitter sends the receiver a signal that varies (Modulates) the frequency to encode the desired signal.

PCM is Pulse Code Modulation uses a series of codes to carry the signals to the receiver. If the codes are disrupted or not timed correctly, the receiver "Fail safes" into a preset condition.

CCPM has absolutely nothing to do with any of the above. CCPM is a set of mixes in the transmitter that allow three servos spaced (Usually) 120 degrees apart to work together to control the three functions of the swashplate (Collective Pitch, Aileron and Elevator. CCPM is programmed into the transmitter at the factory and either a certain transmitter has it or doesn't. Theoretically, CCPM can work with any modulation (AM, FM or PCM) but almost all newer transmitters (IE Those with CCPM) are either FM or PCM or both.

The alternative to CCPM is the traditional swashplate control where each of the three servos is responsible independently for its own function. THere is a servo for elevator, another for aileron and a third for pitch. In place of the electronic mixing, there are a number of linkages that make it all work.

Essentially, it comes down to this. CCPM is electronically complex. Traditional swashplates are mechanically complex.

Now the fun part. The Caliber has the option of being set up for either CCPM or traditional. I think the latter is less accurate, but you will be able to fly it with your radio.

I agree with earlier posts on the woodies. Carbon blades are overkill and costly for the learning process.

Best of luck

Bob
Old 02-21-2003, 02:41 AM
helinewbe
My Feedback: (1)

Default Your Opinion

The 6XH works with CCPM. Check out www.futaba.com and poke around. There are good radio feature comparisons and some handy FAQs that might be beyond the manual.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:18 AM
bandit409

Default Your Opinion

Thanks a million to all who have posted a reply. It has been very helpful.
Thanks again,
Old 02-23-2003, 01:49 AM
bandit409

Default Your Opinion

Below is a list I have made out from Tower Hobbies. Have I forgotten anything?

Bandit

Kyosho Caliber 30 ARF w/O.S. .32 SX-H
Futaba GY401 Gyro w/S9253 Servo & SMM Technology
O.S. #8 Glow Plug Standard Long
Futaba S148 Servo Standard Precision
Futaba R138DP 8-Channel PCM Rx 72MHz DC High w/o Crystl
FRC859 RX XTL FM D HI 59 72970