Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Brushless Motor and ESC installation help please

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Brushless Motor and ESC installation help please

Old 05-18-2007, 05:02 PM
Claude626

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless Motor and ESC installation help please

Hello again!

Oh man, I'm a bit excited lol. My parts just came in the mail. I just got the Pulso KA450H brushless motor and the Dynam 30A ESC.(thanks to HeliSmith suggestion)

I got it out of the box and is about to instal... but then I realize they don't come with any instructions! I'm totally new at this, so can you guys help me hook it up correctly?

The motor comes with:
4x large screws
4x small screws
3x set of golden pin thing (has one end insert into another)
3x black shrink tube
1x metal rod (i'm guessing it's the spare motor shaft)
1x motor with 3 wires: Red, Yellow, and Black

The ESC comes with:
1x ESC with 3 wires going out on one side (label to motor and they are all colored red), 2 wires on the other side labeled battery (red and black), and the dongle to go to transmitter.
3x set of golden pin thing (has one end insert into another)
3x red shrink tube

The pinion sets comes with 3 sizes, 11, 13, and 15. What are the differences when I use a larger pinion than a smaller one?

Now... being a total noob that I am... I have NO IDEA the right configuration to set it up. Here are a few confusions i can think of.

- The motor has 3 wires, the ESC has 3 wires; the motor's wires are color coded, but the ESC's wires all look the same! How do I know what to hook up to where?
- How do I use the set of golden pin thing? I realize they are for connecting these pre-stripped ends of the wires.

If you can highlight the details I should worry about when hooking them up, I would VERY MUCH appreciate a small/brief guide.

Thanks! I can't wait to start learning.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:55 PM
veralee

Default RE: Brushless Motor and ESC installation help please

Till someone who knows electrics comes along you might look at this.
http://www.allerc.com/motorwiring.htm
Old 05-18-2007, 06:20 PM
ptb

[8D]The gold pin thing's are connectors. Three MALES solder onto the three motor leads, but first you must put a small section of heat shrink tubing over each wire.( about 3/4 inch). Then install the FEMALE connectors on the ESC, with small pieces of heatshrink. Then heat the tubing with a match or hot air gun, and the tubing will shrink tight around the connectors !
On the battery end I use DEANS connectors, one pin is + the other is - , they should match your charger plugs !!!!
There is NO polarity on the brushless motor, If it run's the wrong way you mearily SWITCH any TWO wires and if will reverse it.
You sellect the pinion to give you the correct headspeed, smaller pinion, lower headspeed and lower current, bigger pinion
higher headspeed, also use's more amps !! you want around 2000 to 2400 for general flying.
I have NO idea what a DONGLE is !
Old 05-19-2007, 01:18 AM
mrasmm

the "dongle" to the Tx as you said, is actually probably to the Rx and should probably go to the throttle channel. Also make sure you only have 1 BEC hooked up =)
Old 05-19-2007, 01:29 AM
Claude626

ORIGINAL: mrasmm

the "dongle" to the Tx as you said, is actually probably to the Rx and should probably go to the throttle channel. Also make sure you only have 1 BEC hooked up =)
What do you mean by 1 BEC hooked up? xD lol
Old 05-19-2007, 01:32 AM
mrasmm

the "dongle" wire should have 3 connectors. the center plug that comes off of the "dongle" wire as you are calling it is usually the BEC if your esc has one, and most do. If you have more than 1 ESC then you need to make sure only one is hooked up.... lol I just had a drrrrr moment.. your heli is belt drive =P You probably only have 1, but just double check to make sure.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:38 AM
mrasmm

thsi might also help
http://www.helihobby.com/html/separate_electronics.html
Old 05-19-2007, 04:22 AM
Claude626

Ahh, thanks guys!

I finally got it all worked out. It's now in one piece!

However, I'm having problem "setting up" to fly. I posted some questions on the thread about setting up a walkera 36 fresh out of the box.(dun wanna post a question twice :P )