Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

How do I use the starter shaft?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

How do I use the starter shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 04:21 AM
burnsie90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I use the starter shaft?

I have the Venture 30 and it is getting close to put fuel to it. I have the 6mm hex starter shaft, but how do I use it?

I have my airplane starter, but the starter shaft doesn't fit the rubber on my starter. Do I need to get a different rubber thing for my starter?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 03-11-2003, 01:03 PM
MachinShin

You may have a "bolt on" starter shaft. If this is the case, what you will need to do is remove the rubber and rubber holder cup from the starter and then attach your starter shaft directly to the output shaft of the starter.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:26 PM
burnsie90

There are no bolt holes in the cylinder shape on the starter shaft.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 03-11-2003, 02:11 PM
Ad-Venture

Is the Starter shaft split...in other words does it look like it will kinda clamp onto the shaft comming out of your starter? There should be some allen bolts that will clamp it on.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:35 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like your first heli? Maybe get some help before you get hurt? Had this same discussion a few weeks ago with a kid and he ended up flying into his truck in about no time flat. Better than flying into someone else I guess. Get help if it is available or tie the thing down so you don't get hurt.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:26 PM
burnsie90

This is my first heli. I realize how dangerious these are. I have been flying planes for a couple of years and the blades on a heli are alot bigger.

I would love to get some help, but the closest person that flies heli's is about an hour away and he just bought his first one also. I have been using realfight quite a bit and plane to use it alot more before I even start the engine.

So in short, any help (even if it is online) is greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 03-11-2003, 09:34 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would tie it down to something heavy, like a table or something. This will allow you to start it, and check things like blade tracking and check for vibration. You can also get the engine set this way so you don't have to mess with it later.

Once you have it set up, take it to a big empty parking lot. Make training gear out of 2 bicycle flags cut in half. Put them on in a tick tack toe board (two forward and back and two cross ways) with zip ties. Put wiffle balls on the ends. you can hold the balls on with a short piece of fuel line.

When you start the heli, take it to the middle of the lot away from your car and anyone else. Get just enough power on it to get it light on the skids. Don't lift it off. Learn to move it around a bit like that to get the feel of it. Once you have figured out what things do, then get it light enough to just lift. If you are in trouble, cut the throttle fast. Do this hovering low, like an inch or two till you can move it around where you want it. This is all with the tail to you. Once you can move it around that way, bring it up a foot or two and learn it there. Keep doing it till you can pick it up to about 4 or 5 feet, hover, move it sideways, or forward and backwards a few feet and have it under control. Once you can do that you are ready for step two. Be very careful, and have fun. They are a blast. I tend to have someone behind me or beside me watching for unexpected things like cars, kids, dogs and such. It helps a ton because you won't have time. Don't try to lift it right away or you will break it. Don't hit your self. Good luck. Hope that all makes sense.