Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

walkera 22e or esky honey bee cp2

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

walkera 22e or esky honey bee cp2

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 07:36 PM
!v@n

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default walkera 22e or esky honey bee cp2

I am new to the helicopter world and am looking at purchasing a heli within a week or so. the two i have narrowed down to my price range are the walkera 22e and the esky honeybee cp2. which one should i get? I would like one that i can fix relatively easily and not too expensive. I would also like on that is upgradeable.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:25 AM
mrasmm

Default RE: walkera 22e or esky honey bee cp2

welcome to RCU

I would not get a walkera unless you want to replace all of the electronics in it. Either one of these heli's is a hard one to start on, and will require alot of patience, slowmoving, ect. Overall though i would go with the cp2 over the walkera.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:21 PM
!v@n

cool thanks, thats what I had read that the walkera electronics are bad. I just bought a cp2 and a simulator to practice on. hope to be having fun flying my bird soon.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:28 PM
!v@n

cool thanks, thats what I had read that the walkera electronics are bad. I just bought a cp2 and a simulator to practice on. hope to be having fun flying my bird soon.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:07 AM
mrasmm

you're welcome. Good luck

Also check out radds and bladecprepair.com The second one applies more to eflite's heli, but the esky is pretty close to the same thing and will give you some good info
Old 08-16-2007, 10:41 AM
thermal7

Good luck and welcome to the addiction of flying heli's.

Ralph
Falcon 3D and CPD4 CoPilot
Old 08-16-2007, 12:23 PM
!v@n

thanks for the info guys. I also managed to draw in one of my good friends. He ordered a cp2 also. I think it will be pretty cool to have someone to learn with.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:07 PM
scalegps

Speaking of Walkera electronics, I just tried to return my Dragonfly 4 to the store in San Diego where I bought it and was basically given the bum's rush. If someone could tell me that I am off-base, please do it, but as I tried to explain to the store owner, the heli worked great for three days and then started to malfunction. The result was a broken rotor and skid. Not a big deal I understand (I'll break plenty of them on my own). I've been flying gas, electrics, and sailplanes for over 40 years, so I am not new to this stuff.

1. First sign of trouble - I first noticed that about 1 out of about every three power-ups I had to advance the throttle to about 1/2 before the motors turned on. As I said, this did not happen all the time.

2. Trouble - While flying I noticed that I had lost control of the main rotor speed. The tail rotor and rotor controls continued to work fine from what I could see. The heli stayed in a slow descent and flipped when it got stuck in some grass. As it was going over I instinctively slammed the throttle shut and turned off power to the transmitter. Imagine my surprise when the main rotor kept right on running and tried to beat itself into the ground. Just as I got to the heli one blade went flying so it REALLY started to thrash. I was able to grab onto the canopy and pull the battery connector at which time peace reigned supreme.

I took the heli back to get it repaired (a new receiver, blades, and skid) was all I think I needed to get back in the air. I demonstrated at the hobby shop how I could lose control of the main rotor speed while the rotor tilt controls continued to work fine. The hobby shop owner's response was that I was an idiot for turning off the TX power.

Now, I may be wrong, but every electric aircraft I have ever flown has always shut down the motor when signal was lost. I'm also pretty sure that this is the way the heli worked for until the "incident". Am I crazy? I'm getting ready to order some spare parts (rotor, skid, and new RX), but the new RX is kind of a moot point if it is going to (mal)function in the same manner.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:39 PM
!v@n

hey scalegps where in san diego are you? and what store are you talking about? I want to find someone in san diego to help me out in the hobby and possibly help me setting up the new bird.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:44 PM
mrasmm

one in every 2 or 3 times you shut down the Tx in these cheap heli's it will go to full throttle for a few seconds. I guess it's just cheap electronics.

sounds like there were definately problems with the electronics before that though