Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

DX7

Old 09-10-2007, 05:24 AM
lozman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX7

Hi everyone I have been using an 7chp futaba for while, Iam about to go to a DX7 do you think this is a good move..?
Old 09-10-2007, 05:56 AM
Doofers

Default RE: DX7

Man DX7 you never go wrong, haven't you heard all the big guys JR, Futaba are getting the DSM2 idea from Speck. I have got a DX7, at first I thought I was going to run out of channels on the receiver since its just 7channel, but no man, they now the AR9000, which is 9channel DSM2 receiver. JR was beating us then on 9 channels but now we have got 3 more, thought we can not get their 12channel well yet, but its not 2.4ghz. If you are a futaba guy, you can hang around time, coz Futaba are bring out their 2.4ghz. But its all Speck idea.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:40 AM
soop7667

The DX7 is a great radio. I use it exclusively. It's full range, so if you want to get a 90 size Nitro It will handle it just fine.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:43 AM
fiveoboy01
My Feedback: (3)

Yes, I think it's a good move. After figuring out the little nuances with it, specifically the binding process, I love my DX7.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:17 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

If you arent having interference issues you have to legitimate reason to change. The software is as good or better on the 7C and unless you are looking to shed the frequency pin there is no good reason to change.

coz Futaba are bring out their 2.4ghz. But its all Speck idea.
Thats pretty funny. Futaba has been in the spread spectrum business for years, they just didn't rush it to the hobby market.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:03 PM
soop7667

If you arent having interference issues you have to legitimate reason to change. The software is as good or better on the 7C and unless you are looking to shed the frequency pin there is no good reason to change.
If we all waited until we got a radio hit, to "legitimate" a reason to change, then we might all of already lost a model due to someone elses ignorance. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Spektrum, it's a great system, I've had no glitches whatsoever. This is a sore subject with all you Die Hard Futaba guys - It's like you want to beleive that your Futaba is better, so you have to put Spektrum in this category of 'Having to legitimate the change to it'

I can think of quite a few good reasons to change, even if you don't want to shed your frequency pin.

How about Model Match? How about dual receivers? How about higher frame rate and resolution? Here's the big one for you......

Joe Noobie pulls into the club you've been flying at for years, and he's brand new to everything, but he's got this great TX, and you and a couple other guys are the only ones flying that day. No One notices Joe Noobie over there getting his stuff set up and he turns his TX on before you know he's there. Ut Ohhhh...Joe Noobie happens to be on the same freq. and he knows not a damned thing about a frequency board. Your $2500.00 Heli takes a nose dive directly at you and your friends, almost decapitating you. Damn....Just think - If you had a spektrum, or if even Joe Noob had one, that would of never happened.

The future is spread spectrum. Whether Spektrum came out with it, or Futaba, or JR, or Airtronics - No matter who manufactures the equipment - the fact is - Spread Spectrum is better because the risk factor is greatly reduced.

That's my opinion, and you're entitled to yours, but man you gotta admit - there's plenty more reasons to "legitmate the change" than shedding a frequency pin.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:28 PM
flyerbug686

A hippie said that 2.4ghz is killing our honey bees.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:07 AM
thermal7

The thing about Spread Spectrum and 2.4 GHZ band is that you get no interference at all from Motor noise, servos and other electrical interference in that part of the radio spectrum. You can fly glitch free. All those electrical kinds of interference degrade receiver performance at 72 MHZ. You are flying in the quiet zone at the much higher 2.5 GHZ band...thats 2400 MHZ way up higher than 72 MHZ. That makes for super interference free flying and that coupled with never going to be hit by another person turning on makes it the safest way to fly your expensive models. It would be stupid not to move up to this technology immediately. Its a small investment for the INSURANCE factor of knowing you are the only one flying on a specific spread spectrum channel and be immune from all the normal kinds of interference on the 72 MHZ band.
I have Futaba, Polks and JR radios but I sure do love my DX7. The technology of Full Range Spread Spectrum no matter what brand you decide on buying is here to stay.
Ralph
Old 09-13-2007, 12:44 AM
DarkSide41

The DX7 was an easy choice for me as it was my 1st radio purchase . I have had zero problems with it and it makes my Falcon 3D fly great !!
Old 09-13-2007, 03:05 PM
BarracudaHockey

I guess I'm stupid, I have been flying 72mhz pcm for years and can't justify replacing 1000 dollars worth of recievers that I haven't had a problem with plus the cost of a radio.

If I were buying new it would be a no brainer.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:30 PM
badazzbusa
My Feedback: (1)

Think again BH, at 100 bucks or more a pop, I bet you have alot more that 10 receivers and crystals. I'm with you, I wouldn't mind the radio cost, but to buy 15 new recievers and spend the next 3 months programming, no thanks. If I go that route, I'll go spectrum as I crash or get new aircraft and just keep my 9c until everything in my current fleet is gone.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:32 PM
soop7667

I guess I'm stupid
You said it.

OK OK OK JUST KIDDING!! No Baracuda - We all know you're not stupid. I think most guys don't have that much invested in their receivers though, and for them the change would be really good - No Glitching whatsoever man!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:42 AM
BarracudaHockey

I was thinking about getting a Spectrum module and a reciever or two for my 8 channel and below stuff.

Then replacing the receivers as I go, when I phase out all the 72mhz stuff get a 9303 2.4

Either way thats going to be next year before I can, and there's only one guy on my channel where I fly and half the time he doesn't have that radio/plane with him so to me its no big issue.

Also most problems people have from "interference" and "glitches" can be avoided by proper maintenance and radio installation. I've found that true shoot downs are rare.