Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Making your Own Linkages

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Making your Own Linkages

Old 10-10-2007, 06:36 PM
jbloom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making your Own Linkages

I'm a relative newbie to helicopters. I have an older model 1000, 1001 X-Cell from Miniature Aircraft. I've picked up the newest version of the main rotor shaft that is 10mm longer than the old one. I'm having difficulty getting the throws I want and the 0 midstick setting. I have lengthened the 4 linkages on the swash plate, but in doing so, the I have less than 1/3 of the threads in the ball link connector.

So, it's been suggested that I make my own linkages. I talked to the folks at Miniature Aircraft and he suggested getting 2.5mm rods and a 2.5mm die and drilling out the ball link connector with a #43 drill bit. But suggested that I post a message such as this one to see if those are the correct instructions or if someone has a better idea.

Have any of you made your own linkages? If so, how?

Thanks!
John
Old 10-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Druss

Default RE: Making your Own Linkages

Have you tried looking at linkages from other heli's? Maybe you can find one from a thunder tiger, align, hirobo... etc. that would fit?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:57 AM
redvtr1000

I have used some align ball links on my mini titan. Why couldnt he just buy matching balls and links, then get threaded pushrod in lengths and cut it down accordingly to deal with the increased length?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:24 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi John,
Having a relatively new heli pilot working on an older model heli is rarely a win-win situation.

Often, beginners try to save money by getting an inexpensive, used, older heli. This is rarely a money saving move.
Parts are difficult to impossible to find. And you will need replacement parts (as you already know). Parts will be worn out. Older plastic will be more brittle and parts will break. Oh, and there is the distinct probability that you will crash.
Any of these events will result in a long term parts search that will seriously delay your learning opportunities.

Much better would be to spend a bit more, get a new heli with decent parts availability and with many other pilots flying the same model to use for advice.
Raptor 50 or Hirobo Sceadu 50 come to mind.

Vince
Old 10-11-2007, 01:02 PM
badazzbusa
My Feedback: (1)

Vince is 100% right. Pick up a Raptor to get your feet wet and set your project to the side for awhile. Once you get the basic understanding down, you might want to try somethings out. You will probably fiqure out that it's more trouble than it's worth. Finding spare parts for some of the older helis is a pain and if your new you might need quite a few.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:32 PM
jbloom

You're probably right, but I am having a ball flying this one, and I'm just not able to spend $400.00 - $600.00 on a new heli. Though that day is coming, and in a .90 size! Anyway, I started out with 10 degrees positive collective and 4 degrees negative, to help prevent me from slamming it into the ground witih my airplane instincts of killing the throttle when something unexpected happens. At any rate, I got comfortable with that and wanted a bit more negative. Myself and a heli buddy from the field tinkered with it for a while and got about 8 degrees on each side, with the 0 point being slightly above midstick.

We opted not to use a fully threaded rod because it seems it would be weaker.

John
Old 10-11-2007, 09:51 PM
badazzbusa
My Feedback: (1)

Cool, glad you got it going. They are a blast. I didn't know you already had it going, you just were trying to make new links. I thought it was a total fixer uper, in which it would have been easier (and cheaper) to get something current. As long as it's flying, then fly the snot out the thing.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:02 AM
jbloom

I should have been more clear. It is flying and I'm having a ball. Seems odd that they'd increase the length of the main shaft by 10mm, but not increase the length of any of the linkages. That's why I thought to make my own. I have found a 2.5mm die and handle, and will see if I can find some rod stock to use. I'd assume music wire is best.

John