Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

wanting first heli

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 01:46 PM
jturk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wanting first heli

I am looking to buy first heli for me and son to play with.I bought a air hog havoc to try out. My son wanted to but the package deal where the two fight with the infrared. So i bought a havoc to try before we spent 80.00 on kit. All it seems to do is fly in circles. I did the trim and can hoover but can't go forward just in semi-big circles. I was wondering which electric helis would be a good purchase. Is the helix a better choice or is there something else out there better for around the same money. Thanks
Old 11-18-2007, 03:32 PM
Bugzilla

Default RE: wanting first heli

If your just looking for something to play with, I suggest a Blade CX-2 coaxial heli. Comes fully assembled, ready to fly, and is easy enough that just about anyone can fly it. Go to horizonhobby.com to check it out.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:00 PM
blade_killer

you wont get a blade cx for the same price as the toy helis. But you could get one of these and it would be more fun

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...94&pid=NDYN200
Old 11-18-2007, 10:53 PM
Druss

the reason you can't have more control is that those havocs and similar tiny heli's are only 2 channel, you need at least a 4 ch to have the type of control you're looking for. look at the esky lama v3 or v4, it's under $100 and it's parts compatible with the much more expensive blade cx.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:21 AM
edith228

esky helicopter,good for beginer,also there is plenty of spare parts gurantee:
http://www.rc-spareparts.com
http://www.esky-heli.com;)
Old 11-19-2007, 07:57 AM
jturk

I figured you guys would help. thanks alot. I don't really want to go over the 100 dollar mark. I wanted to try out flying first. Hate to spend alot of money and then don't even like it. Thanks again.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:39 AM
jturk

After looking around this forum more I think I might up my price some. Like no more than say 250. I would like to get a heli i can have fun with and do a lot with. I don't really just want to hover up and down. Plus would like to customize it a little some day.So what are some good choices. I noticed a lot of sites to buy from also and how about used. thanks
Old 11-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Druss

you can always look for used on here, ebay... etc. What you get depends on what you want, you can afford any 4ch and some 6ch heli's for $250 but you have to realize that the 6ch ccpm heli's are a LOT harder to learn. How old is your son? If he's under 10 you may want to stick to the 4ch, you can fly up/down, forward/back, left/right and rotate in both directions. You can not do 3D or inverted flight with a 4ch co-axial but it may be the best learning heli. A fixed pitch 4ch single rotor may also work but still a very steep learning curve. I laways say that if you're getting a single rotor heli set aside another $50 for parts in your initial purchase for blades, shafts... etc.

my suggestions are:
4ch co-axial - esky lama v3 or v4
4ch fixed pitch - esky honey bee fp
6ch ccpm - esky belt cp

you'll notice they are all esky products, it's because they are great value for the money, all rtf and parts are cheap.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Morchaint

the first helicopter is a hard one to choose but i ended up getting the blade CX-2. the coaxial settup allows for more balance and controle unlike the fixed pitch helis. i would strongly recomend it, it maked for a whole lot of fun and plenty of spare parts around. Another good coaxial helli is the venom ocean reascue. I hope you have alot of good safe flight. good luck. Austin