Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Older 9z and a 401 gyro woes pleeeeez help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Older 9z and a 401 gyro woes pleeeeez help

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Broncoflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Older 9z and a 401 gyro woes pleeeeez help

HI all,
got a programming problem here. I cant get the led on my 401 to stop blinking to show that its in hh mode. Tried every set up under the sun that i can find online. Gyro is chan 4, sensing line into chan 5. gyro sensing activated in all flight conditions with type one set in norml,idleup1 and idleup2 and type 2 for condition hold. when on the bench the gyro blinks and seems to move the rudder when i turn the heli by hand. Rudder also seems to work with stick input. but no matter how or in what condition the tx is in when i switch on the rx the gyro blinks. This is on a 9ZHP radio and a brand new r319 receiver. Ive read that cuz this radio is older than this type of gyro you have to inhibit the gyro sensing and all gyro programming but then how do you set a switch to control the gyro mode? ive tried that too. Linking chan5 to a switch then setting dual rates on the gyro channel. didnt change anything either. Someone out there has to be running this set up somehow. Im pretty sure people didnt throw away their 9z radios when this type of gyro came out. Manuals for the radio and the gyro dont cover this at all. Hopefully this thing doesnt end up crashing off the workbench before I ever start the motor

thanks for any help you may offer
Old 03-15-2008, 05:47 PM
jtuba05

Default RE: Older 9z and a 401 gyro woes pleeeeez help

If you give right rudder command on your TX and then return to center stick, does the gyro move the servo and leave it moved? or return it back to center also?

If it is returning it back to center also, the gyro is not in HH mode and thats the reason it is blinking. Depending how your radio is setup you may have that set to a switch(like my radio), and will need to have that flipped the other way.

When it HH mode if you give right rudder input, the servo will move accordingly and hold that position until you give left rudder.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:56 PM
dooleyje

ORIGINAL: Broncoflyer

HI all,
got a programming problem here. I cant get the led on my 401 to stop blinking to show that its in hh mode. Tried every set up under the sun that i can find online. Gyro is chan 4, sensing line into chan 5. gyro sensing activated in all flight conditions with type one set in norml,idleup1 and idleup2 and type 2 for condition hold. when on the bench the gyro blinks and seems to move the rudder when i turn the heli by hand. Rudder also seems to work with stick input. but no matter how or in what condition the tx is in when i switch on the rx the gyro blinks. This is on a 9ZHP radio and a brand new r319 receiver. Ive read that cuz this radio is older than this type of gyro you have to inhibit the gyro sensing and all gyro programming but then how do you set a switch to control the gyro mode? ive tried that too. Linking chan5 to a switch then setting dual rates on the gyro channel. didnt change anything either. Someone out there has to be running this set up somehow. Im pretty sure people didnt throw away their 9z radios when this type of gyro came out. Manuals for the radio and the gyro dont cover this at all. Hopefully this thing doesnt end up crashing off the workbench before I ever start the motor

thanks for any help you may offer
In your gain for the vchannel that you are using you must be above 50 % or higher to be in hh. You can assign the switch that you use for switching between HH and Rate mode. You may try to reverse the channel for the gyro sense.

Jim
Old 03-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Broncoflyer

Yes, the rudder goes back to center when the stick goes back to center. What are you calling GAIN ? I cannot find any reference to GAIN on the radio. I think its the settngs for rate a and rate b in the atv of the gyro channel. They are set at 100% in all flight modes. the AFR on the gyro channel is set to 100% in all flight modes. I would love to assign a switch to use to switch between avcs and hh mode but I cant find anywhere in any manual that tells me what hh mode is in orderc to set a switch to it. I have been working in the gyro menu with norml flight condition set to gyro sensing type one and idleup 1 flight mode set to gyro sensing type two. Watching the servo screen when switching between these two flight modes shows the bar on the gyro channel jumping from the bottom to the top as the switch is flicked, but powering up the gyro with the radio tranmitting in either condition still gets just a blinking light. Just cant seem to find hh mode
Old 03-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Broncoflyer

Saints preserve us I figured it out. Based on all of your helpfull input I decided that you guys knew what u were doing and that something else had to be wrong. Its a used gyro for which I have no history. (I'll never shop ebay again). I thought that if you guys were right and If i did everything you said, the gyro would work, but it still didnt. So, I said to myself, And I knew who it was cuz I recognized my voice, I tought that the gyro wasnt receiving a sensing signal. Since I was mad and had a beer or two or three by now I yanked the sensing wire out of the receiver ans went at it with an exacto knife. Low and behold I found half a centimetr of no wire inside the insulation just before the metal contact. I cut a wire and contact off of an old servo i had and twisted it onto the gyro sense lead and plugged the bare contactor into the receiver. Still got a blinking light. After a couple of bad words I have to apologize to my children for, I reversed channel 5 in the radio. Turned on the receiver and holy crap, I gots me a steady light now. Now Ive just got a little soldering to do and get the contact back into the plastic plug and Im off to the the next hassle, whatever that may be.

Thanks again for all of your help. Ive got no one around here who knows this stuff. Without your input this heli hobby of mine would have been thrown out before I ever got any airtime. thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![sm=lol.gif]
Old 03-15-2008, 09:09 PM
badazzbusa
My Feedback: (1)

Good job on the trouble shooting, glad you got it fixed. Now go have a beer or 4.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:18 AM
jtuba05

can you assign channel 5 to a switch? I believe thats how I have mine setup to switch between HH and rate mode. Can't remember to be honest i'd have to have my radio in front of me or the manual.

I have an x-378 7 channel JR. Which is by no means the newest/greatest radio but it was able to assign a switch to it. I the "invert" switch assigned to it.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:44 AM
dooleyje

ORIGINAL: jtuba05

can you assign channel 5 to a switch? I believe thats how I have mine setup to switch between HH and rate mode. Can't remember to be honest i'd have to have my radio in front of me or the manual.

I have an x-378 7 channel JR. Which is by no means the newest/greatest radio but it was able to assign a switch to it. I the "invert" switch assigned to it.
Yes switches are assignable. He is using channel 5 and it should work on his Retract channel switch.

Jim