Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Fresh to RC helis, is t-Rex too much??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Fresh to RC helis, is t-Rex too much??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 11:32 PM
TCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fresh to RC helis, is t-Rex too much??

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in a bit of a bind. A good friend of mine got an RC heli and I watched him fly a few months ago. As you may have guessed, I've been wanting to get one since, however, I like to do my research, and I believe I need some help.

From what I've read, a decent electric heli can be had for 150, but all in all, most people say it's just a gateway to the rex, and that they should have, in retrospect, gotten it to begin with. Therefore, I was wondering, should I do it right the first time and save the headache later? or is the rex just too much to start with?? I'm personally very fond with mechanical tidbit of things and have had my share of RC equipment. I also don't mind the electronics and all the tinkering after all I'm working my way to an EE degree right now..

And, (since I didn't write enough already [sm=75_75.gif] ) , do you think a good starter setup can be had for ~400? not necessarily 3D capable, just enough to get it going around the block.. I would also rather take the time to put it together myself, and from what I've seen, most kits come around %80 assembled. Is there a bare bones set available??

Thanks in advance,

looking forward to reading some responses!

*also forgot to mention, I've never flown anything myself, but I hear the sim is a pilots best friend.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:15 AM
flyinsolo11

Default RE: Fresh to RC helis, is t-Rex too much??

If you are mechanically inclined, this is the hobby for you!!

If you can afford a Trex for the first heli, by all means do it and give it to me. Haha, seriously though you should definitely do it because they are great birds from what I have heard and seen.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:33 AM
nuttcaze

If you got the money to buy a T-Rex and fix it after crashing I guess go for it, myself I know I won't be doing any kind of hard flying for a long time so I choose to go with ESky, more economical choice for me, not nearly as good quality as a T-rex but damn close when upgraded (alot of T-Rex parts fit on ESky helis, actually alot of all parts fit on ESky's), and they're cheaper to fix, One of the biggest desicions for me to start out on the cheaper side is that I KNOW I will have this hobby forever and I have ALOT of time in the future for better/nicer helis, I suggest getting a cheaper heli to learn on AND a nice ARTF kit, something for you to build over time as your skills progress as well as your knowledge of this hobby, I've been in this hobby since mid Jan, I just started building a E-Smart 600 (for $868 including EVERYTHING charger, Tx, batteries, etc) and man this is hard, but I'm working on it, patience is Key, for building and learning to fly.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Skarn

I think the TREX is a great way to start! With the Finless Bob video's the build, setup and even flying is made very simple!

I got the TREX 450 SE v2 and recommend that since it has the metal and CF upgrades already. When you do crash, it won't be too expensive. My average crash is about $25 (using woodie blades). Plus, it's just fun to build your own from scratch and then when you do have to rebuild do to a crash, you won't be intimidated since you already have the knowledge.

Good luck!
Skarn
Old 04-27-2008, 10:11 PM
planepounder

After trying several "in one box helis" I can tell you the T-rex was like a blind person getting sight. Cut to the chase, get a quality heli, T-rex (I think the best) or other wise. The Rex, ( and I guess its clones) is the best flying 450 heli out there!
Old 04-28-2008, 02:26 PM
pappy35

Get the biggest, baddest T-Rex you can afford. I bought one that was completely build and flown for a couple of years from a guy at our club. I've been flying a sim for almost two years (not out of necessity, but for lack of money 8-) and could all the basic manuevers reliably.

The helo offer was was too good to pass up - $250 with everything minus a receiver. That's with a full metal hear, STK frame and tail rotor assembly, CC35 ESC and a Medusa motor. The sim training worked flawlessly and I was looping, flipping, and rolling within 8 flights.

If you get anything less, you'll regret it 'cause after about only 20 or so flights, I'm pining for something else (R90, T-Rex 600, Titan, etc.). I'm glad I'm only out the $400 or I spent for the bird, some spares, and a couple of used batteries.

As for crashes, I've had 4, 1 serious and I've only just broken $100 in spare parts and options. So far:

[ul][*] 4 main shafts (2 pkgs with 3 in each for $15)[*] 4 feathering shafts (2 pks with 3 in each for about $10)[*] 4 325mm woodies (one spare all about $$52)[*] 2 tailbooms (1 pkg about $10)[*] 2 tail rotors ($15)
[/ul]
Old 04-28-2008, 02:40 PM
techrtr

If you can afford it, go for the Rex. Buying a cheaper, less capable heli is false economy because you'll outgrow it quickly and end up having a cheap radio and a used heli that isn't worth very much hanging around. Also, buy a good radio right off the bat. Something like a DX-7.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:48 PM
BoysToys

I agree with you about skipping the cheapo electric. I wish I had bought my 450 from the get go! I started out with a HeliMax Axe cp and wish that I could get that 3 months of my life back. [:@] I learned how to hover with that bird but it was not easy. My skills improved much faster when I switched to the 450.

ORIGINAL: TCU

do you think agood starter setup can be had for ~400? not necessarily 3D capable, just enough to get it going around the block.. I would also rather take the time to put it together myself, and from what I've seen, most kits come around %80 assembled. Is there a bare bones set available?

*also forgot to mention, I've never flown anything myself, but I hear the sim is a pilots best friend.
The only way you are going to get into a T-Rex 450 for $400 is to get a used setup. Even a 450 SA nicely setup is going to run close to $800 or more depending on what equipment you have. Realize you are going to have to get a Heli kit, servos, gyro, radio, batteries and a charger. You are looking at $400 just for a nice radio DX6i, charger Cellpro 4s, and a couple of decent 3s Lipos.

My 450 setup has been very reliable and is used by many 450 fliers. T-Rex 450 SE V2, Spektrum DX7/AR6100, 3 Hitec HS65mg servos, 1 Futaba GY401 gyro, 1 Futaba S9650 or S9257 tail servo, a couple Flight Power Evo 25 3s 2170 lipos, and your choice of charger. As you can see something like this can cost around $1,500 with all the necessary tools and support equipment.

If you want to keep a reasonable budget I would definitely look for something that is used. Many guys, like myself, recently upgraded to a T-Rex 500 and find their 450 collecting dust. There are some good deals out there.

Another alternative is the new Blade 400. I personally have not flow or seen one fly. I have looked at it down at my LHS and it looks to be a decent flying helicopter. They have a couple at my LHS right now for $375 + tax. You get everything you need in one box and it even comes with a Spektrum DX6i radio that you can continue to use as your rc flying addiction grows!
Good luck.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Druss

There are now a ton of great 450 helis out there. Kyosho, Thunder Tiger, Beam, Align... etc. Trex's will be the easiest to find parts for but you have to realize that just a radio alone will cost $200, doesn't leave much of a budget for the heli itself.

The blade 400 is an option but you'll find your self upgrading the electronics. Don't get anything with a tail motor like the eflite blade cp/cp+/cp pro or helimax cp... VERY hard to fly and the small tail motors burn out easily. Remember too that you'll need a budget for replacement parts as you will crash.

I agree with everyone that you'll eventually end up getting a higher end trex (or other) but there is nothing wrong with a sub $300 trainer as long as you do realize it's a trainer and don't spend $$$ on upgrading it. Use it for what it's meant for (to learn) then move on. I've seen ppl that have spent $700 on a blade cx2... for what? you'll increase the performance to the point where it can handle 5mph winds???

IF budget is a constraint you can look at the esky belt cp ($200), it's RTF and not the best electronics but it is a 450 size and therefore fairly stable. You won't do any hard 3D with it, but again, it's a trainer - use it that way... don't upgrade it, just replace with plastic and when you think you're ready, move up to that $800 trex.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Empty Wallet

Buy cheap.
Buy twice.[)]
Old 04-30-2008, 05:01 PM
Heli Head

This question is asked so many times - "what it best to start with?"
There are two schools of thought:

- Buy a cheap heli and replace it in a month or two when you outgrow it, or spend a small fortune fixing and upgrading it.
- Spend more money and buy a good quality heli that you can grow with.

I am a firm believer in the later.

The Align T-Rex 450 is a good helicopter for the price, just remember you are not going to get into a Trex with radio, gyro, decent battery, and charger for $400.00. By the time all is said and done you will be close to $1000.00 if you have to get everything.

Before you are even asking the question of is a T-rex 450 a good RC heli to start with. You should know all the different options available to you when you are first starting out. This hobby takes time and commitment.

I hear the same comments time and time again about getting cheap stuff to start with then when you crash, it won't cost as much to fix.
The fact is, if you take your time and don't rush the process, there is no reason you should crash. Beginner crashes result from three things: Not building the bird correctly, not understanding the therory of how a heli flies, and rushing into flight before even really knowing how to hover properly.

I know this is old school thinking, but every person I have taught to fly RC helis over the years learned on a high quality heli and most never crashed once until they started aerobatics. When you are learning, your number one prority is to bring the heli back in one piece, learn in small steps.

My own recommendation is to purchase the largest heli you can afford. The bigger the heli, the easier it is to learn and fly on. Learning on a small electric is ok, but there are better options if you do a bit more research - something you said you always do. This shows me that you are the kind of person that wants to grow with this hobby and get a life time of enjoyment from it.

I know this is just one view point, but I have seen more success stories by learning slowly on good quality equipment than by rushing into a purchase based on price and hype.

Best of luck - this is a wonderful hobby that I am sure you will enjoy for years to come.

John,
www.rchelicopterfun.com

Old 05-01-2008, 12:08 PM
techrtr

Like your website John. I was in Valemount last summer. Nice town.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:38 PM
mirmanchuck
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with buy the biggest heli you can afford. I started with a 50 size nitro (Caliber5) and a Trex. The nitro heli was the one I learned the most on. If you can't afford a big one the new Blade 400 by Align is the way to go. $469.00 is the total cost. They are just as good as a Trex and a whole lot cheaper.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:01 PM
badazzbusa

ORIGINAL: mirmanchuck

I agree with buy the biggest heli you can afford. I started with a 50 size nitro (Caliber5) and a Trex. The nitro heli was the one I learned the most on. If you can't afford a big one the new Blade 400 by Align is the way to go. $469.00 is the total cost. They are just as good as a Trex and a whole lot cheaper.
The Blade 400 is by E-flight, not Align. Align is the maker of the Trex.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:33 PM
mirmanchuck

Sorry! I made a mistake. Blade 400 is by Eflite. Still cheaper than Trex and just as good.