Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

need advice on flying "e-flight blade 400"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

need advice on flying "e-flight blade 400"

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 08:20 AM
simmo8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on flying "e-flight blade 400"

G-day all

i just got my first collectve pich helli the E-flight blade 400 i have been working on flying the venom night ranger 2 which is a fixed pich helli i can get it to hover and fly around a little bit in our carport. I made some training landing skids for my blade400 out of carbon rods and ping pong balls. Does anyone have any advice on flying this helli.

thanks in advance

simmo
Old 05-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Pilotwoody

Default RE: need advice on flying "e-flight blade 400"

I did not go the FP route, I went from the CX2 straight to the Blade 400. I might just as well have been going from flying a kite to the Blade 400!
With my very limited experience, the best advice I can give is get a simulator and get real good at it before you try the 400.
Other than that, pick a nice big field and no wind..... and no people within 200 feet (I think the Blade 400 has a human target sensor, at least mine does!)
Good luck....go slow.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Skarn

Yep get a simulator and also do Radd's!

Here's a link to Radd's school: http://www.dream-models.com/eco/index.html

Good luck!
Skarn
Old 05-14-2008, 12:55 PM
redvtr1000

the sim and radds are both good suggestions.

I started out with no heli experience whatsoever and bought an axe cp. Didn't buy a sim until I started well into forward flight and basic aerobatics. It is possible but surely costs more.

The field away from anyone or anything is a good idea, I think most beginners and their helis have the device mentioned above. They don't only seek out pilots and other people, but basically any object that has the ability to increase the damage in a crash.

What helped me the most in my early days was a large empty parking lot. I mounted the training gear with some balls that would easily slide on the pavement and would throttle the heli up and work on figuring out the controls and how to keep the thing where I wanted it. I know everyone will say its much more stable up and out of ground effect (and it is) but you should be able to control it whether it is close or not. I kept my crashes to a minimum this way and never had the heli higher than a foot or so that way I could cut power if I started getting off at a lean and it would plop back onto the pavement. If you do tipover, chances are it will be harder on your heli but this might help you to get some basic control skills before moving to the grass where it will want to tip easier if you hit the training gear on the ground.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:15 AM
simmo8

thanks guys i will try and get my hands on a sim which sim would you guys sugest and can i use the spectrum dx6i as the sim controler. my venom night ranger 2 has a thing for me foot lol.
happy flying

simmo
Old 05-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Pilotwoody

Hi again.
My hobby shop had the USB cable to connect the DX6i to the computer ($39), and I bought the ClearView simulator on-line (also about $39).
I tried the free sims, like FMS and HeliSim, they will help you learn but they are a little too easy. ClearView is definately a good step above them, I am very satisfied with the results using ClearView. My intention was to work my way up to buying one of the big guys Phoenix or Real Flight (I think its called?), they are very pretty and have more accurate physics (I assume!). But Im doing so well with ClearView, I haven't had the urge to change yet!
Good luck.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:53 AM
simmo8

thanks Pilotwoody
i think i willtry and get realflight G4 tomorow and have a look for a USB cable and buy some spare parts for my heli just incase i need them right away.
simmo
Old 05-17-2008, 10:57 PM
gpclassic

The Blade 400 is not a Beginner Heli at all
I think you Should Get a CP+ OR CP PRO to learn to fly on only Because their alot more Forgiving to New Pilots
and There Easier to fix,and you can crash it and not have too much Damage unless you Snap the Frame in Half
The 400 (which I Have) is not a Forgiving Helicopter Once it goes ugly you will damage alot more Parts
1.because of the Head Speed,and the Weight
2. it'll Drop like A Stone if you Chop the Throttle when you get Scared and about to mess up
3.it's a Performance Helicopter and It'll not Be Kind to Beginners,you've got to have your Nuts Screwed on tight to Be flying it,and Maintain control through the 3 Axis of flight
Lastly the Blade 400 only Has 4.30 Minutes of flight time where as a CP Pro will give about 12-15 Minutes with a Lipo
the 4.30 min. is not Enough time to get good at it Before it needs a Recharge
I have Been Flying for three Years and have 16 Helicopters in My Fleet
and I learned to fly with a CP then a Pro and I have three of them all Built Differently 1 Has all aluminum parts all have G-90's
and moved to 450's then to .30 Nitro's and then .90's then up to the Big Dawg a 230 AP Air Ship with a 26 cc Engine (a Monster)
Please take your time at the Sim and one thing I'll tell you is the Sim is a Good way to start Learning
But you've got to get Flight time in Because the Sim is only somewhat accurate
There are many Variables to flying a Real Heli'like Wind / Sight Distance / Elevation / oreintation / Etc.
Remember when your out Flying that Altitude is your Friend Because it'll Give you time to fix your Mistake Before it Goes UGLY
Remember That Crashing is Part of Learning,Don't Get frustrated Take your time and Get a 300 Size to Learn on Before you Wreck your Blade 400 needlessly
There are some for sale Right here on R/C Universe I got one here for $100.00 RTF The Guy who sold it did not set it up at all
The Swash was tilted bad and he Sold it Not Knowing that all it needed was a Simple Adjustment to the Servo, He stated every time I try to Lift off it Rolls on it's side,all I did was Power it up and I knew why he Was having so much Trouble
It was well worth the $100.00 Extra Lipo,Carbon Blades,aluminum Tail Boom,Super Skids
Good Luck Big Daddy
Rich D
Old 05-18-2008, 08:22 AM
simmo8

thanks gpclassic

one of my mates recomended the blade 400 for me and he is a very experianced heli pilot as well. my first heli was a fixed pich helli caled the venom night ranger 2 it is known to be one of the moast dificult fixed pich helis out there to fly "says everyone in the hobbyshops and the heli pilots i have talked to about it " they have all said if you can fly the nightranger you can fly the blade400 also the guys in the hobby shop have said that i would never be able to teach my self how to fly the night ranger and i did teach myself to fly without ever buying any spare parts. I do understand where you are coming from though and i respect what you are trying to say to me i tell beginer airplane pilots the same thing. thanks again
happyflying

simmo