Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Heli stuff and fellowship

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Heli stuff and fellowship

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 11:10 AM
matty_p80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heli stuff and fellowship

hey Jim!

yup! rainy and stinky here too! don't mention sims to me! after a little discussion with the support at Clearview, it appears i have the only graphics card make that won't support the necessary functions, so i can't get the sim unless i buy a new computer!!! that's not going to happen so i'm screwed!! i was looking to get it beacause i really didn't like the 'Reality Craft' "RC Heli Master" that i got last Dec. and went back to FMS! got a bit greedy for models and downloaded a couple from what appeared quite a comprehensive collection, then decided to get a few more, which is when it all went pear shaped! had a rythmn going for getting the files copied over but when i tried them on the sim, they would just sit there not doing anything! so i tried to delete those particular files from the program model folder but every time i deleted one it would copy itself exponentially!!! so un-installed the whole FMS but when i tried to download it again it was not liking it and refused!!!

looks like i'm just going to have to bite the bullet and pay for a decent one!![&o] i know, they say the Irish are tight, right? well, meet the unemployed Englishman!!! ha ha ha

no sign of the gyro yet but they did say it would take anything up to 48 days[]

well gonna go and hole up in the man cave that is the garage!!

Matty )
Old 02-03-2010, 10:51 AM
dooleyje

Hey Matty, The Phoenix folks are in UK, Runtime Games LTD, Poole, UK. I got a great deal on it from the store or I would not have been able to afford it. I am reraly enjoying it.

We had a gret fly-in last night. We had a bunch of folks show up including some factory pilots showing off the tiny 4-Site 3D biplane. I took an Ember airplane and let a bunch of kids/dads/moms fly it. Yep it is in need of a bit of repair this moring. LOL I only had the chance to hover my Gaui for few minutes and the 520 gyro was lock in solid needing no further trim or adjustment. The Gaui has a bit of tail wag once in a while. I have noticed that also with the trex250. If you turn the gain down you lose your lock when you pound the throttle so I can live with it. I may shorten the servo arm about a hole length so I can turn the gain up further. It is set on 65 but the more gain you can get the better the hold for 3D. I always try for 65-80% gain. On a 450-500 size heli I found that a length of 7- 7.5mm works the best. On a nnitro bird I start with 13.5mm and found it works very well. On the 200-250 sizes may be a 5-6mm range would be best. The tails are super sensitive and you have to tame them down. We had a guy showing how fast his trex250 will piro and he slung his gyro and gyro mount off the heli with the wires hang on to it. He had it fixed in no time and was back at it 30 minutes later. Most of the heli guys here are a rolling parts store when they go flying (me too) LOL

I have the day off and I want to go flying if it will dry up a bit. Still have a lot of snow on the ground. We will see.

Late,r

Jim
Old 02-03-2010, 03:11 PM
TakeshiSkunk

Got in another flight today, I was thinking of going for a few but I dunno after the first one lol

She always wants to pitch back violently lifting off, I'm still not sure why. I can correct for it but I always have a false start the first time before I actually take off. Is it possibly because of the training gear?

The flight went well enough, things were a little all over the place initially but I set it down, moved it back to where I started, and was able to more or less hold it in one spot for the rest of the pack. It was gusting a little, which I noticed was mostly causing it to rise rather than moving it around. Towards the end of my pack I got hit by a pretty nasty gust that threw the poor thing all over the place. Managed to keep it under control and land maybe half in the little circle I'd cleared in the snow to take off from :P There was an inch or two max in places, mostly it was an inch or less as it had all been melting. I made sure to dry off what tiny amount of snow got on the ESC and Rx, but I dunno if I really want to fly it in the snow anymore.

So yeah no damage, crash, or hard landing, brought everything back inside just fine. I messed with the trim a bit, actually ended up giving it a little left cyclic because for some reason it kept taking off to the right. Might have just been the wind and might get reversed next time I'm out. I ended up removing about 5% of expo after that first landing, and it felt better afterward. I'm considering taking the expo out altogether, I feel like not having the 1:1 control is making it feel a bit weird.

ITS COLD OUT THERE, my hands were freezing by the time I was done. It might be about time to just give up on flying for now and send this transmitter in to be replaced.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:25 PM
matty_p80

Takeshi

when you place the battery on the heli, put the blades at 90 degrees to the heli and lift up with the forefinger of each hand under each blade grip to give you some idea of balance and move the battery (within reason) to compensate for fore/aft imbalance!

yes, it might be the training gear but also have you checked the swash to be level in idle up, mid stick?! just for peace of mind it might be a good idea to re-check everything, 'cos it pulling back on lift off isn't right, if anything mine will go slightly forward!!!

Jimbo

i didn't know that Phoenix was a good ol' Brit product! i know Poole very well, as i lived just outside Bournemouth (there is literally a hair between them) before i went to the Cayman's! i gave in and flashed the Heli Master up again but also seriously considering getting a basic lappy just to run sims on and maybe the odd heli electronics that i might just acquire in the foreseeable future??? [:-][8D]

Jay Bird

hope you and Ames have got your breath back and you're fit and healthy for your lil' beauty visiting! your making me very jealous when you go a-pootling on yer hawg! miss my bike something big time now! especially as on the peice o'junk i got before chrimbo, the 'check engine' light has come on and the exhaust sounds like a tank[][&o][:@]

Donica

don't go and wear out the old man! enjoy your time up there and hope you get some flying in!

some possible general good news on my part is i got tired of sitting around so got pro-active and e-mailed the Fleet Air Arm museum at Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton, where i used to work when i was in the service! enquired if there were any mechanic style jobs going and they got back to me saying there was a job going as a part time simulator operator! they haven't got back to me with specifics on hours and wages yet but i figured it would be a foot in the door for me! don't know if they still have the historic flight there too but that was contracted to a civilian firm made up of ex- matelots!

well that's me for now, might go and get another verbal spanking from Rafael### for daring to try to help someone on another thread![8D]

gators laterz

Matty )
Old 02-03-2010, 07:29 PM
cajungirl

Helloooo theah fine people,
Work, work, work. Wowsers, I haven't had much time to myself lately. Put in 38 hours in the last three days. There's been a lot of business at the hospital lately. Had to go in at 4:30 AM today to assist in one of the ORs. A lady had been hit by a car at a crosswalk and we had to repair her liver, lower intestine and most of her ribs. Also had to set both legs and relocate her left shoulder. She took quite a whack from a big ol' 4WD pickup truck. There was a perfect imprint of one of the headlights on her left side. We got her all fixed up though and she should recover real good. After all that I had to do my regular duties with my trainees. Seems like the last 9 days have all been like this. I have one more day here (should be a normal one) and then I head for Nebraska.

No flyin' for me either. It's been to wintry outside and I've been hustlin' back to the hotel after work to get rest. Jay promises that we'll fly when I get to his place. If the weather isn't good we'll use the hangar out at the airport. Looks like I'm going to be travellin' through winter weather all the way from Okie City to North Platte this time. Mostly light snow. I hope there aren't any pockets of heavy stuff. I'll take it slow and careful. I'm not missin' this time together just 'cause of some snow.

Matty,
I promise not to wear the ol' guy out too much. I'll keep my portable defib kit handy. Hard to wear that guy out though. He purty energetic. I surely hope you get the job. Wow, runnin' a full scale sim. Now that's gotta be some fun. On one trip to Nebraska Jay took me out to the fairgrounds for a night at the rodeo and the US Airforce had a semi trailer set up out there with one of their simulators in it. We got to sit in there and fly some military type helis. Jay did the piloting. Then, they asked if we wanted to try some fighter jets. Well, of course we did. Jay talked me into takin' the controls on the first one and I promptly ran it off the end of the runway. Jay flew real planes years ago before movin' into helicopters but never any jets. He took the controls in the simulator and got a fighter off the ground. Things got excitin' then. Tore off the top of a tree, hopped just barely over a tall building, turned upside down and took out a section of an interstate highway. I guess the controls in a fighter are a lot different than other planes. We had a ton of fun though and laughed a lot.

Mr. JD,
You're havin' too much fun there mistah. I'm jealous of all the flyin' you're gettin' to do. So, your teensy little Gaui is workin' good? I still bug Jay now and again 'bout gettin' one of those little ones to play with. Bein' that he seems to be collectin' T Rex helis lately I'm gonna bug him 'bout getting a 250. He's in love with the bigger 500 now and is lookin' at going even bigger with a 600. He really likes the feel of the bigger birds, but his collection won't be complete without a 250. What'ya think? Should I keep after him to get one?

Well y'all, time to stop jibberin' for now. I'm havin' a nice little Petite Fillet Mingon dinner brought up (med. rare) and I'm going to watch Bear Grylls survive somethin' while I eat (love that show). Hope he doesn't eat somethin' gross 'til after I'm done with dinner though or I'll have to put my hands over my eyes. Will I be chastised if I have an MGD with my steak instead of red wine? Aw heck, go ahead. I'm havin' the beer anyway.

Give your special ladies and 'sproglets' some hugs for me and please stay safe, healthy and happy.

Donica

Old 02-03-2010, 08:06 PM
dooleyje

Hey there, finally got to fly the Gaui outdoors and man.... this thing is a little beast when you have a little room to wring it out. It has some hard pop pop when tick toc..ing. Sound really cool when you change from pos to neg pitch. The only problem is that the 5800KV motor ( yep5800KV) with 3 cells and a 10t pinion will yeld only about 4 minuts of flying. Hey I got the wag out of the tail. The 520 has a tail response program and you have to match it to you tail speed. I have the gain up to 75% If you have a sensitive tail you set the gyro to fast response. The Log2100 has a simular program. I need to get the usb adapter so I can fine tune the 520's via the computer.

Skunk,, Matty said it for you. I would add that you always remember where your trim tabs are so you can include that in your preflight. I mark my battery trays with a perm marker to show where the battery needs to go.

Hey there Donica... I think he needs to go bigger than smaller. The small helis are great to use in doors and tomlearn 3D because the cost is so much less. They are a hand full though. If you decide on the 200-250 range the Gaui 200SE is super or get the new Trex250SE because it has all the fixes in it. I personally want a trex500 or maybe a hot 550 like the Outrage. Of course I have been buying one for over a year..LOL I guess I need to break down and just order one. I seem to get side tracked to new gyros and a new EVO and so forth.

The gyro has been spoken for. Jets decided to get it for his heli.

Matty that's great news and I hope you get the position.

Jim
Old 02-03-2010, 08:16 PM
matty_p80

sorry if i mis-lead anyone but it's one of those touristy simulators like you get at fairgrounds and outdoor shows, etc.! me, in charge of a multi-million pound real simulator!!!???? i know i can bull***t with the best of them but don't think i could pull that one off!! ha ha ha!!! still if it gets me in and i can then work my Matty charm and matbe get on the restoration crew!???

sleep tight

Matty )
Old 02-04-2010, 02:26 AM
mydartswinger

Hey Matty,
Even if it was a full scale sim, you wouldn't actually have to know how to fly it, just the basic controls and where everything's at in the cockpit. When I was stationed in Alaska, I actually got the chance to fly a "real" full motion sim of a UH-60 Blackhawk heli before I started flying anything RC. The operator was knowledgable on the layout of the cockpit and what each control does, but I don't quite know if he could fly it or not. It was a very cool experience. I did OK with it doing a rolling takeoff and flying it around, but crashed when it came time to land. The operator had me do an airplane type landing with it since it was easier to do that than bring it to a hover. However, I pitched it back a bit too far on the flair and crashed it. Oh, well, good times anyway. Good luck at getting on the restoration crew. That would be awesome getting to work on the old birds every day.

Donica,
Sounds like they've got you on the run there in the OKC. Just make sure you can find some time to rest up. No, we won't chstise you for drinkin' an MGD with a Fillet Mingon.

Well, ya'll have a good one.

Shannon
Old 02-04-2010, 10:50 AM
TakeshiSkunk

Well I looked at my heli again this morning since the battery was still in it (disconnected of course) and my CG was definitely forward albeit very slightly. I looked over the swashplate very carefully in my initial setup to check that it was level and always look at it and check all my controls before lifting off. So yeah not sure what's making it do that, I guess I'll just hope it's the training gear somehow :X
Old 02-04-2010, 02:18 PM
flyachopper1

Top of the mornin',
And the rest of the day too. It is snowing here again. Just a light dusting though so far. The weather brains are predicting several days of this but not a lot of accumulation. I will be spending the afternoon out at the airport helping Ames' mechanic give the black beauty the TLC she has earned. We put her through her paces on the mapping job and she needs some tidying up. I surely miss being the owner but it is good that I get to stay involved. Need to get the maintenance done so it can be moved out of the hangar while Donica is here so we can fly in there. Ames bought a real nice tarp cover for it so if it is snowing we can cover it to move it outside.

Spent some time on sketching out a paint scheme for Donicas T Rex last night. I think it is time to give her the paint job I have been promising. She has been good to her word about training on the sim and learning to fly. Even though she wants it pink she has earned it. We have talked and decided to stick with the Jessica Rabbit scheme instead of the Energizer Bunny. I have a plan I think she will like that includes a solid pink canopy with a vee shaped red graphic on the nose that will run down under the bottom for orientation visibility. There will be two different protraits of Jessica Rabbit. One on each side of the canopy. Right now the plan for the windscreen is solid black with a red pinstripe around the edge. I may try to work that pinstripe up to flow into the graphic on the nose. I think the tailfin will be done in the pink too unless Donica wants something different. For chuckles I will put the red pinstripe around the edge of that too. We may have to change things later if visibility becomes a problem but in my rendering it all looks real good. All this will go on a spare canopy I have and we will leave the original one as it is. That way if the painted one gets dinged up she will have a canopy to use while the other one is being repaired or replaced. It has been quite a while since I have done any airbrushing and I am looking forward to doing her heli and the A Star. I rigged the airbrush up in the garage yesterday and did some practicing on a big cardboard box. The aribrush is working fine but the operator needs more practice and the moisture filter needs replaced. No worries, I picked up a new filter element today and will practice more tonight.

Dear Donica starts this way in the morning. Looks like she will be travelling the whole way in wintery conditions, but not too bad. She promises to be real careful. I will worry, but she is a seasoned road warrior and doesn't take unnecessary chances. My bet is she makes it fine.

JD,
Yes, I agree. I am drawn toward the bigger helis. My intention is to have a 600 soon. Once I have that I may again look into a 250 just to fill that niche in the collection. I would be willing to consider a good used 250 sooner if there is one at a good price. I am just now getting kind of caught up on projects now and don't want to get them piling up again. If I keep it up I will need a warehouse just for parts.

Matty,
Luck with the job prospect there me friend. Sounds like a good step in a good direction. If they have any brains at all they will admit you into the restoration crew. And, that's no b*ll s**t.

Takeshi,
Are you checking your CG with the training gear on the heli? If so and it is proper then I can't think of why that would be causing it to pitch back. Sounds more like something is causing the main rotor to move. This is another one of those things that comes up early in flying. Maybe you are moving the stick slightly without realizing it. I used to see mine go forward on lift off when I was learning and finally figured out that I was causing that. I was unknowingly putting pressure on the stick. Once I realized that I practiced not doing that until it became natural. I discovered I was doing this during a bench test. With the motor disconnected I went throught the steps of lifting off exactly as I was doing it at the field and kept a close watch on the swash. I saw a slight forward movement in it as I ran the TX. It was me and my 'nerves' putting downward pressure on the stick causing it to move a tiny bit forward. I practiced taking off using the pinch method instead of thumbs and made myself not put any grip on the stick. I would position my fingers next to the stick without touching it but could in a split second when needed. I switched back to thumbs after getting off the ground. If this isn't your case then something is not right in the set up. Moving to the right a little on lift off is a normal thing with helis. A natural result of the rotation of the mechanics. Setting them slightly to the left is the proper cure. Some of these little helis even hover slightly tilted to the left. Just a natural part of the physics and must be done. Your swash will be slightly to the left at zero stick. Fore and aft must be level though.

Time to head for the airport and do my duties.

Later me friends.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:32 PM
matty_p80

hey guys!

finally got the pitch settings figured out on the Mozzie! next dumb ass electric head question!!

what is the suggested % nitro to put in this birdie? planning on making it go pop-pop at the w/e!

the other, probably quite important question, if there is no engine cut-off switch on the Tx, how do you cut the engine, short of pulling the fuel hose off?? i have noticed that throttle hold actually closes the throttle linkage more than the low stick point, would this be enough to cut it??

just wanted to get some idea of what i'm up against before blowing mesel' to kingdom come!

wop, wop , wop, wop, wop, wop, wop! (Bell Huey )

Matty )
Old 02-04-2010, 07:26 PM
dooleyje

Matty I would use 15% heli fuel or any fuel with 18 % oil content. Cool Power 15% airplane and heli are the same. Some folks will add an once of Klontz oil to the fuel. The throttle barrel all the way closed will kill the motor, You can slide the throttle trim down to do this. Just insure that the barrel as all the way closed and remember the trim setting that the motor will idle at the best so you can put it back before you fly. Also use an OS #8 glow plug.

Jim

Jim
Old 02-04-2010, 07:29 PM
dooleyje

ORIGINAL: dooleyje

Matty I would use 15% heli fuel or any fuel with 18 % oil content. Cool Power 15% airplane and heli are the same. Some folks will add an once of Klontz oil to the fuel. The throttle barrel all the way closed will kill the motor, If the TH closes it all the way then good. If you have no throttle hold you can slide the throttle trim down to do this. Your DX6I has a kill button on the front you have to program it where it will close the carb barrel. Remember the trim setting that the motor will idle at the best so you can put it back before you fly. Also use an OS #8 glow plug.

Jim

Jim
Old 02-05-2010, 08:26 AM
matty_p80

thanks Jim! it actually has a #3 glow plug in there at the moment, should that make a great deal of difference? i understand the different #'s relate to the temperatures they work at but which way does it go 1 > ? hotter or 1 < ? cooler??

Matty )
Old 02-05-2010, 12:08 PM
matty_p80

hey guys, again

was doing some fiddling and came across this [link=http://www.hpieurope.com/walk.php?lang=en&id=21]"How a Brushless Motor Works"[/link] and thought it might be of interest to some of our new flyers!

M.)
Old 02-05-2010, 04:34 PM
dooleyje

Matty the OS #8 is what I have used for many years and it is a med/hot plug that works well with 15-30% fuels. They have never failed me yet The old #8 has been a staple for heli flyers for years. I believe the #3/A3 is also a med/hot plug. You will probably not see or feel a difference run it.

Jim
Old 02-06-2010, 12:43 AM
flyachopper1

Hello flyers,
It's a good day. Although it was cold we got no more snow (yet) and my Cajun beauty just called to tell me she is only about 8 miles out and heading in. It was a long trip for her this time. Oklahoma and Southern Kansas were covered in ice and snow was falling. She had to jump around a lot to find clear roads and that made the trip a lot farther. She finally had to stay over in Dodge City, Kansas last night to wait for roads to be cleared. She didn't get out of there until almost noon today. But, she is near now and all is good.

Matty,
I ran a #3 glow plug in my old Cricket and my 'mutant' for years. They always worked fine with the 15% and 20% fuels. I changed to #8s on the advice of some of the nitro car racers here and those seemed to last quite a bit longer. Performance wise they were the same as the #3s but more durable. I ran some 25% fuel through the 'mutant' with a #3 and it burned up real quick. The #8 handled that fuel real good. You could just run the #3 until it is used up and replace it with a #8. If I remember right I got 3 to 4 gallons through a motor before wearing out the #3s. It will vary depending on how long your flights are and how hot the motor gets. You might even go through one quick getting your fuel richness dialed in. I always carry several spares to the field with me.

Well, I just saw Donicas headlights sweep across the courtyard so I am outta here to help her hustle her luggage in. After the usual 'flying hug' she brings me.

Later me friends.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:43 AM
dooleyje

Man....rainy cold dreary sucky day and to top the insult I am off work today.. I need to fly!!!!!!!! I just got back from the post office where I sent the gyro to Jimmie up in Ohio. I guess I wiill seem today and surf the Internet.

I can't believe it is super bowl time..time flies.

Donica I know you had a bad long trip and your wanting to sleep in today we are all glad you are safe. Curl up with a blanket and a mug of chocolate UMMMMMMMM and maybe a snuggle or two with that Irishman. We Irish are great snugglers LOL

Jim
Old 02-06-2010, 09:55 AM
jets0456

ohioans like to snuggle too dooley !! and we re very good at it !!!
Old 02-06-2010, 01:47 PM
cajungirl

Hidee doodles everybody,
Whewie, made it. Nothin' like snow'n ice to make a trip long. Had mostly good roads but had to change around a lot. There was a lot of ice in Okiehoma and southern Kansas. For a lot of goin' through that area I couldn't safely get above 40 mph. I stopped a lot to relax and let the thousand yard stare go outta my eyes[sm=what_smile.gif]. It was interestin' though. There's a lot of real nice small towns in Kansas. I picked homey little local cafes to stop at and met some real good folks. Always got good honest directions to good roads and wishes of "God be with you". The dependable Pontiac Bonneville did a real good job in all that messy weather but I'm glad it's done now. I'm settled in at Jays feelin' safe and at home. Nothin' like a fuzzy blanket, a big ol' soft couch and some of that snugglin'[sm=kiss.gif] to refresh your energy ('course the hot toddie and foot rub were reeeaaall good too[sm=tongue_smile.gif]). I slept like a log and woke up feelin' brand new today. It's all worth it now.

Today we have no plans at all. Just gonna do what we want at each moment. Right now I'm watchin' Scrubs on the comedy channel and Jay's on his 'puter goggle eyein' T Rex 600s. I've heard a coupla "hmmmms" from him so I know he's findin' some deals that are interestin' to him. I'd lay bets there's gonna be another big bird joinin' the herd here soon. I'm still buggin' him 'bout gettin' a little 250 too. I've switcherooed that around a bit though. Now I'm just sayin' he might get one as maybe a birthday, anniversary or Christmas gift. Hmmmmm, birthday in ten days. Maybe I better git ta gittin' on that.

Somethin' that's been happenin' on the thread page lately has me befuddled. Several times now I'd be right in the middle of typin' a post and the page will reload itself and dump my post. Used to lose it once in a while after hittin' the OK button 'cause of timeout but now it's just reloadin' in the middle of typin' a post and losin' it. I tried going back a page after but that doesn't work either. Any of you had this happen? I'm writin' all my posts in notepad now and usin' good ol' copy and paste. But, once when I pasted and took some time to insert smileys the dang thang reloaded again and dumped my post. Can't predict when that reload thang will happen. Jay plans to write the administrator about this if some of you have had the same thing happen. If not it may be a problem with our provider and he'll write to them instead.

Time to get outta here for awhile and take my Irishman out for lunch.

Y'all stay just like you are and be safe happy and healthy.

Donica
Old 02-06-2010, 03:38 PM
dooleyje

I had that happen to me several time a couple of weeks ago.. I can tell when not to post. The web page gets real slow all of a sudden.. I think it is weather related BOOP the page was gone and so was my post.

I have not seen any really good deals on the Trex600 unless he is wanting a E600. The E600 is a bit (not as) poping as the nitro version. May need to put a good scorpion motor and 8 cells. I would look at something like the Outrage 550. I know Henry Caldwell and he was behind this heli. It is a super hot 3D monster.

Jim
Old 02-07-2010, 09:04 AM
jets0456

glad you made it donica ! sounds like it was a rough trip,i like reading your posts because i can imagine the accent you must have,flyachopper is a very lucky guy !! you two have fun !!
Old 02-07-2010, 08:02 PM
matty_p80

woo hoo! oh, yea-ah, oh, yea-ah, oh, yea-ah!

was mucking around with my sim (Reality Craft "Heli Master") and have broken my 'Auto' cherry at last! alright, so it was only from about 6 or 7ft but it was with a .90 size Jet Ranger and i plonked it down right in front of me without a scratch! niiice[8D] i was deliberately hovering it at about 70-80ft to use the fuel up and thought i saw the 'out of fuel warning' flash up (it was actually 'low fuel'!!) so brought it in and found there was still fuel in it! was turning it around for another go when it did run out and i got her down nice and easy right in front of me! sweeeeeeet!!![8D][8D]

am getting to like this sim and it's quite a bit better than the FMS (had to can that totally as it was going doo-lally on my 'fuser)! it's reasonably realistic and there are about seven models to choose from, ranging from a .90ish Apache to a little HeliMax style tiddly S300! all of the physics are adjustable, as is the weather and you can integrate various failures to happen at random! there are three flying 'arenas'; flying field, gym and office, which are reasonable but there is a little uncertainty as to the range parameters, as in depth of field. the other niggly thing is there is a switch (5CH/Gyro) and a dial (Gear/Pit) on the controller, which is advertised as a 6ch, they react on the controller set-up page but don't appear to do anything on the models themselves!!?? Tel A'viv!!

Jimbo, the LHS only has Optifuel 12 but i checked and it has 18% oil in so will be getting some of that tomorrow! (shows how much i know about the stuff, probably all has 18% oil!!). any helpful hints to get an engine that's been dormant for a couple of years up and running again? will try and get some 8's aswell!

hope everyone has had a sweet w/e with as much flying as possible and the lovebirds still have enough energy to get out there still!? fnaar, fnaar, fnaar, yak, yak!

Peace

Matty )
Old 02-08-2010, 01:23 AM
flyachopper1

G'day me flyin' friends,
Still cold, dreary, cold and spitting flakes here. Donica and I went out to the airport, moved the black beauty outside and flew both my 500 and her 450 in the hangar for a while today. I tell ya mates, that girl is fearless these days. She is flying that T Rex like it is part of her. She amazed me with some real low passes around that big hangar at about twelve inches off the floor. She did them at full forward speed and at the end of the building she would pick up the nose, lay over to one side and whip the heli slightly up and around just in time to not hit the wall. She does all this with a kind of far away look on her face that tells me she has a level of concentration I am a little jealous of. She pulled that move once when I was being a bit onery and chasing her 450 with the 500. I had to quickly flare and land to keep from eating the wall. She just flew away and laughed. She has also discovered that if she can get her heli above mine she can cause mine to get a little squirrely using her rotor wash. I don't know here. She is getting a little onery herself and I may have a monster on my hands. We did have a lot of fun out there today though and used up three LiPos each. After moving the full scale back into the hangar we joined Ames and Debi for lunch at Ruby Tuesdays.

I have been scouring websites for T Rex 600s. Those birds are getting pricey and I think I should get one bought before the prices go much higher. Yes, JD the 600E will be my first one that size. For now I am collecting the electric T Rex series and perhaps later I will add a nitro or two. The snapping 3D isn't a big deal for me as I rarely fly that anymore. I have reverted back to the sport flying and seem to enjoy that more. I did look at some 700 kits today and wow, the prices on those sure have gone over the fence.

I geuss you all knew before I did that my Cajun beauty has gotten me a T Rex 250SE kit for my B day. What a girl, eh? Jets, you are very correct. I am one lucky chap to have such a kind, beautiful, smart southern girl that, for some reason, likes to be around a crusty old Irishman. The little heli will fill out that end of the collection and you can bet it will get flown by both of us.

Matty mate,
If that old motor doesn't feel like it is sticky when you turn it by hand a good thing for it would be to remove the glowplug and drip a little of the fuel into the top of the cylinder. Just a few drops. Then spin it by hand so the oil in the fuel lubes the cylinder wall. If you can or want to you could remove the cylinder head to see if there is any varnish build up and if there is you will need to take the motor apart and clean all the parts. I use the fuel as a cleaning solvent. The little carb should be checked and cleaned too. When you first get it started run it rich enough to slightly diesel and watch for some drops of fuel to come out the exhaust. That will get plenty of the oil in the fuel down into the crankshaft area and lube it. Don't rev it up too high at the beginning. If the glow plug that came in it is already well used this process may foul it a bit. Have a spare handy and you can set the first one aside to air out for awhile. Some gentle compressed air will help a fouled glow plug to. Don't make a mistake I made years ago. I had a wet fouled glow plug, took it out of the motor and thought hooking it to the battrery to heat it up and dry it might work. Not a good thing. It heated up for sure. Then it promptly fried like a light bulb filament. I have learned since that when the plug is in the motor the cylinder head acts as a kind of heatsink and helps keep the plug from getting too hot too quickly. Out of the motor it heats up rapidly past its tolerance. When the motor is running the fuel actually acts as a kind of coolant too keeping temps down in the top end.

Good night me friends. May the morning bring you all the best of days.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:44 AM
dooleyje

Matty the 12% will work fine and so will 0% FAI fuel. You just have to set the card for it. I forgot that across the pond high nitro fuel is hard to find. Yep Jay said it,,, wet the motor down inside so the bearings and so forth can get some oil. .

Jay I knew you where getting a grand 250SE. I don't think anyone else knew yet. If anyone see a good deal on a Trex500 let me know. I have seen no sales yet. You can find good sales on the E600 if you shop around and it is right up you ally Jay.... Super flying helicopter. I saw one recently with an ApachyLongbow Fuselage. Fast. He was using 8 cells and 4 blade head. The electric screamed like a turbin. NIIIIIICE.

Donica you are starting to remind me me of Henry Caldwell. [X(]He would take a Gaui and stick it too the wall and also the ceiling. You go girl!!

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.