Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Heli stuff and fellowship

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Heli stuff and fellowship

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 08:32 PM
maddog57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heli stuff and fellowship

hey,

have yet another question. my Spektrum AR6200 RX doesn't have a AUX 2 port like the original Walkera RX has. so... what do i do w/ the gyro input sensitivity connector that has one orange wire that was in the AUX 2 port? do i just leave it unhooked? the only open RX port on the AR6200 is labeled gear. do i put it in that one? also what's the purpose of the sensitity connector?

thanx, chris
Old 07-03-2008, 08:54 PM
drobin

maddog57

You plug that one into gear.Someone else will have to tell both of us what it's for
Old 07-03-2008, 09:09 PM
dooleyje

ORIGINAL: drobin

maddog57

You plug that one into gear.Someone else will have to tell both of us what it's for
You use it through you gear channel to adjust the sensitivity of you gyro instead of using a dial on the gyro. You adjust the travel of the gear channel to acheive heading hold by advancing the % to about 65-70 %. To put in rate mode you will ser the travel to about 30% or below 50%. Then you would use the gear switch to swap back and forth between the two.

Jim
Old 07-03-2008, 09:24 PM
maddog57

maddog57

thanks Dave. i'm sure someone will enlighten us both. i managed to fix the rotor belt drive pulley. turned the pulley over and w/ a Dremel tool, made a groove for the shaft pin to engage into. then i CA'd the heck out of it during assembly. after a few hour of set time, it seems real strong. i had tried to order a new gear set,[that's the tech name for the gear/pulley], but every site was sold out. i mean, what are the odds of the one part i need being out of stock everywhere? so hopefully my fix works, cuz i'm tired of waiting. still have to mount the motor, and do set-up adj.'s. had to enlarge the openings for the two cyclic servos and for the pitch servo, to fit the HS65's, like everyone said. it went real well. the horns are a bit larger, so i matched up the old w/ the new so i'd know which hole to use for the link balls. can't wait to try it w/ my DX6i.

how's your G2? did you get rid of the spins? catch ya later. tell Trudy hi.

Jim thanx for the info. i learn something new here everyday. i'm amazed at all i've learned from everybody on this forum in just a few months time. learning is one of the best parts of doing anything, for me. the electronics and setting steps still get to me though, but i'll get my head right w/ it sooner or later.

chris
Old 07-04-2008, 01:39 AM
flyerbug686

Ok its not a heli, but it should still be fun. Here is my newest flyer, the Katana 47" from 3d Hobby shop. My first plane. Hope its not too much for me to handle. I have almost have everything. I need a few odds and ends like servo cable extensions and a prop. Thought it came with a prop. My helis came with blades...well, here I go again. Oh yeah, I have two more LIPOS coming thought Id try le LONGMAX on the plane. No way I want to sacrafice my Evos or TREX airtime. . Like a kid Xmass day. Also have a new AR 6100. Shoulda gone for the 7000 for this puppy, but the 6100 was on sale. oh well. Keep yaposted.

JIM. I wanna make sure I got this right. For an AUTO, hit throttle hold, my pitch is set for idle mode. Then depending on your altitude throw negative pitch to keep blade inertia going, and in the last ten feet throw positive pitch? If I got that right , then does that mean that to complete an auto from an inverted position, you would need lots of altitude? Because after flipping right side up you would need to re-build the inertia of the blades in negative pitch in order to regain the inertia to introduce positive pitch to lift to land softly?

I hope I worded that so you can understand what I trying to ask. Dont have too much time to re-phrase right now.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26739.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	983642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21186.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	983643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71877.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	983644  
Old 07-04-2008, 01:41 AM
David867

Maddog, I don't know how you've got your gear channel set up, but if it's similar to the GY401, then 0 is in between head hold and rate hold, +100 is full head hold, -100 is full rate hold, and in between is where you want to be for both. For head hold, mine's around 65, for rate hold, it's around -65. Jim knows the DX6i better than I do, so the scale might be 0 to 100. You can easily tell by adjusting between the -100 and +100 or 0 to 100, and see if the red light holds solid, on the G007 when the light is SOLID RED it's in head hold, when it's OFF completely it's in rate hold mode, when it blinks, you're giving it some rudder input, it works similar to the GY401. You will want to start off fairly high, maybe 90, and get light on the skids while on pavement, don't take off though, make sure the tail's holding while you're light on your skids and your headspeeds up there. At that high of a gyro gain, it should wag, reduce it until you can get light on your skids without wagging, just reduce 5 at a time, 85, 80, 75, 70, 65, 60...58, 56, so on, until you find your mark. Don't worry, you'll get this heli stuff.

The tail gear is sold out everywhere? I guess they break often, I broke both my gear in the front and back, I just turned it around and dremel'd a slot like you did, and CA'd the heck out of it, it works well like that. I also put in a plastic washer made of an old CD, to keep it tight, you'll lose some space by turning it around and creating another slot, so you want it tight. Double check that the gear in the back tail case is tight on the shaft, mine came loose also, you should take it apart and CA it just for safe measure, wouldn't want to lose the tail in the air!

Also, if you haven't done so, set up your throttle hold switch so that you can turn off power completely, and autorotate if need be. It's not the push button, that's just a momentary switch for turning off engines. It should say how to do it in the manual, right Jim? How'd you set up your throttle hold?
Old 07-04-2008, 07:05 AM
maddog57

David867,

i need to start writting down all the settings everyone gives me cuz i can never remember where in these posts they are. i don't know how my gear channel is set up either, haha! the gyro is the Walkera WK-G011. i'm still finding out the in's and out's of my DX6i, so it'll take awhile to know what i'm doing. gotta tell ya that i'm kinda struggling w/ all the electronics settings and how they apply to the heli. the mechanical part is pretty easy, think i've got that part of the heli hobby. thank God for you guys. thanx for the gyro info, i'll have more questions and hope you guys will be patient w/ this new kid [kid?] on the heli block.

guess i exagerated some when i said everybody was sold out of the gear-set part. nobody i deal w/ had it in stock. could've gotten it elsewhere, but it would cost more in shipping than the cost of the part itself, and didn't want to order stuff just to justify the purchace. i've been dealing w/ Helidirect, i like them alot. RCandME are my #2 spot. who do you use, or do you have a LHS?

happy 4th to all!

chris
Old 07-04-2008, 07:25 AM
dooleyje

ORIGINAL: maddog57

David867,

i need to start writting down all the settings everyone gives me cuz i can never remember where in these posts they are. i don't know how my gear channel is set up either, haha! the gyro is the Walkera WK-G011. i'm still finding out the in's and out's of my DX6i, so it'll take awhile to know what i'm doing. gotta tell ya that i'm kinda struggling w/ all the electronics settings and how they apply to the heli. the mechanical part is pretty easy, think i've got that part of the heli hobby. thank God for you guys. thanx for the gyro info, i'll have more questions and hope you guys will be patient w/ this new kid [kid?] on the heli block.

guess i exagerated some when i said everybody was sold out of the gear-set part. nobody i deal w/ had it in stock. could've gotten it elsewhere, but it would cost more in shipping than the cost of the part itself, and didn't want to order stuff just to justify the purchace. i've been dealing w/ Helidirect, i like them alot. RCandME are my #2 spot. who do you use, or do you have a LHS?

happy 4th to all!

chris
Bug: You are correct on the auto. If you start an auto from inverted position you would use pos pitch till you flip the heli and then use neg pitch to get the blades up to speed when up right. As you get close to the groung you ease the pitch in to feather it down so you can conserve the head speed. To much and you will stall the blades before you are on the ground. Every heli will be different on the feathering part so practice from about 10ft and just see how much and how little you will need in pitch. At 10 feet you will not have to use neg just hold what you have and give a little pos as it desends. Yes an inverted auto takes some altitude. I really wouldn't try it with a 450 size heli.

My throttle hold is set at 0 throttle and a typical pitch curve would be -7 +5 +12 . I and a lot of people will use the same pitch curve as the Idle-up so if you losse power in idle-up the pitch curve will be the same and the heli won't drop or jump when you hit THold and actually you would not have to hit Thold as the power will be off anyway. Do what makes you happy.

Jim
Old 07-04-2008, 09:43 AM
drobin

maddog57
Morning.I seem to have the spinning problem taken care of.But I haven't taken it out for a test flight yet.Just on my table.I got another receiver.I think I may build another helicopter.Than I'll have one to experiment with and it won't bother me when I crash.The fix you did on the gear is what is recommended.Even on a new part. Trudy says hi back to you.

dooleyje question for you.You mentioned to be careful on older airplanes.About 4 years ago,I bought,at a garage sale, a small high wing plane,like a trainer.It has the os 20 motor and 3 fatuba FP S 148 servos.No receiver.A friend of mine rebuilt the motor and said is has very little time on it.I paid $20 for it.I flew it a couple of times.My question,since I have no idea how old it is, what should I look out for as far it being safe to fly.I just don't want it to go wild and hit anyone.I am using a fatuba 4 channel radio with it.

Thanks

Dave
Old 07-04-2008, 04:42 PM
dooleyje

maddog57
Morning.I seem to have the spinning problem taken care of.But I haven't taken it out for a test flight yet.Just on my table.I got another receiver.I think I may build another helicopter.Than I'll have one to experiment with and it won't bother me when I crash.The fix you did on the gear is what is recommended.Even on a new part. Trudy says hi back to you.

dooleyje question for you.You mentioned to be careful on older airplanes.About 4 years ago,I bought,at a garage sale, a small high wing plane,like a trainer.It has the os 20 motor and 3 fatuba FP S 148 servos.No receiver.A friend of mine rebuilt the motor and said is has very little time on it.I paid $20 for it.I flew it a couple of times.My question,since I have no idea how old it is, what should I look out for as far it being safe to fly.I just don't want it to go wild and hit anyone.I am using a fatuba 4 channel radio with it.

Thanks

Dave
Depending were they are stored before you bought it make a world of diffrence. If kept in the old barn I would be certain there are no old mice nest in side the wings/tail where the last occupants may have used the spar for lunch. Also the balsa gets really brittle as time passes. Just check it out real good and I am sure you will not have any trouble, just do not take it for granted since you know nothing of its history. Great price though!! Also look at the wings and tail and make sure thay are not warped and the control hinges are secure as you pull on them. Look at the firewall and make sure it is firm a sound amd I would pull the fuel tank and replace all the tubing and clean the tank out. Replace the old prop. Make sure the wheel mounts are firm and not broken. And make sure the tail surfaces won't fall off. Hey!!! all that sounds like a usual preflight on any bird. Do a range check of your radio before flying. And the most important thing is to have loads of fun with it!!!

Jim
Old 07-04-2008, 06:21 PM
ginnz
My Feedback: (2)

whats a "Plane" ;-)

[8D]
Old 07-04-2008, 07:32 PM
starcop

Hi Guys, My neighbor was throwing away a Sky-Fly R/C plane. So I grabed it out of his trash can; he said I could. So I grab my old TX from a Freedom Flyer and luck would have it, it's CH 6 27.55 Freq. It works! LOL, I'll be flying it out-side when the wind dyes down. starcop
Old 07-04-2008, 10:38 PM
drobin

Thanks Jim, I already did all that before I flew it.I just wanted to make sure I covered all bases.I'll give it another going over before I fly it again.It is a nice flying little bird,even for me.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:14 AM
flyerbug686

ORIGINAL: ginnz

whats a "Plane" ;-)

[8D]
One of those things that dusts the crops. Hahaha!

Bug
Old 07-05-2008, 08:13 AM
dooleyje

whats a "Plane" ;-)

[8D]
Thats where the buffalo roam.

Jim
Old 07-05-2008, 12:28 PM
maddog57

whats a "Plane" ;-)

[8D]
it's a tool to shave wood.

chris
Old 07-05-2008, 12:58 PM
ginnz

ah yes, i have one in my shop. by my heli's ;-)
Old 07-05-2008, 06:07 PM
starcop

Hi All, My "word" this darn wind is really starting to "P" me off! I work all week; dead calm, zero wind hot days. Then the weekend comes along and "Blammo" we get Gail force winds "All Day"!! What is going on. I can't win, I just want to fly my plane, is that too much to ask? Even this morning, I was up at 6:30 AM checked out-side and the tree's are bending over like an arobics instructor! AARGG! So now I've waited all day for the wind to "STOP" and it's 35 mph! I'm going to buy a kite! Yeah, then it will stop. starcop

My daughter and I built this kite, so I try to go fly it and what do you know? Yeah, the wind stops! Maybe I'll take this out and try it.

Name:	He97074.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	984569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25693.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	984570  
Old 07-05-2008, 06:10 PM
starcop

[&:]Wow, guys; I'm not kidding you. I took this kite out and the wind just stopped. This is no bull; I must be seeing things, but this is no kidding it has stopped! Weird stuff. Hey I can go fly my R/C, I'll just keep my kite with me. starcop

I found some old pictures of my moto-cross days, I use to race in Idaho; years back, now I'm just an old R/C guy...[8D] I had to scan them, see us old guys used to do fun stuff!

Name:	Pn36334.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	984572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76333.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	984573  
Old 07-05-2008, 07:31 PM
ginnz

cool old mx pics!

i used to race the 80cc class in 1983..... i actually placed second in the province in that class! :-) lucky country boy.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:36 PM
starcop

Thanks ginnz, I was 25 back then; older now, but not that old I guess. I raced moto-cross for years. Always love sports, I'd love to have a dirt-bike but I'd kill myself, I tend to push the laws a bit. Well, I found a great place to fly about 1 mile from my house. I had no idea this giant part with freshly mowed grass is just around the corner from my house. My wife and daughter rode bikes through there today. It's better than the R/C club I fly at now! I can't wait till tomorrow, I can even park right next to the grass. I can't believe I didn't wander over that way months ago. I'll post pictures of my flights. This place is about 10 football fields of golf style grass. There are no soccer or baseball diamonds, nothing but open grass. starcop
Old 07-06-2008, 07:37 PM
starcop

Hi All, I went out to the club and watch a guy fly his Bobcat pusher plane; it's like a jet style aircraft. So he was flying along when "all of a sudden" Zip! The motor froze up. He still had control but was going about 40 mph and had to ditch the plane over an embankment. So we ran over to see! He lucked out, it landed in a large bush where they dump the grass clippings. Minor landing gear bend, couple bruises. So he brought out a Fun Jet. Those things rock-n-roll, they are fast, smooth flying foam contraptions. I'm surprised they fly as well as they do. I might have to buy one just for the sheer speed and fun they look like when you fly them. They have an increadable hole-shot. starcop

So I finally got out and flew today! It's always a good day when the planes make it back to the hangar.

I'm getting my heli's back; soon! I'm still a heli pilot, just had to sell them due to medical bills for the wife.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:04 PM
[]TEX[]

Isn't this a heli forum?
Old 07-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Magic Hook

Yup its a heli forum alright. What foamy jet was it? LOL When I finnish this 600e I am looking at a F-22 and a couple of others when my bank acount heals up from battery hits.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:34 PM
starcop

Yeah, I sold my T-Rex 600, 450, Raptor G2; it's hard to part with toys like that. My wife got injured at work and had to have several surguries. So now I'm re-plenishing my fleet, she gets a settlement in a couple months so it's back to heli-ville for me. The deal was I get to replace them all. I'm going gas on one though. At least the technology gets better. Batteries are the hard parts to bite off. starcop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.