Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 7 of 216 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Heli stuff and fellowship

hey guys,

thanx for all the input about th ball link sizing tool. i'll take the advise. watching Rays DVDs, i wonder how much of it i should be doing to my G2. i have alot to learn!

that three blade rotor head is cool. no fly bar w/ that sys.? i know nothing! Jay, or anyone, could you tell me a little about it?

chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

David,
    Thanks for the link. That's the one I saw before. Yah, it's hard to tell which one is a good one. I've been reading the scale thread and some other sources for info on the tri heads. Like everything else, some are happy with them and some are not. I even found one guy on the RCU scale thread that says he ended up designing his own tri head. Whoa now, there's some big brains on that thread. It's gonna be fun reading that. I've read some info on how they can cause your main blade to flap some due to the absense of the flybar. Others have suggested using wider blades (where to get those I don't know yet) and lower headspeeds to solve this. I guess the flapping is because there is no flybar to provide gyroscopic force when changing rotor angle. They are saying the blades are stressing more. I'm not too expert on the physics of all that. Ames will be my mentor on all that. It does seem odd that if the no flybar set up isn't as good my black beauty would have one. I do know that the military uses some helis with flybars for training pilots because they are more sluggish than the ones without them. Military pilots move on to the three and five blade birds after they have trained in the others and they say that the birds with out are so much more responsive they have to concentrate on minimizing their control inputs. Like I said, Ames is up on all this stuff and when he's back I'll pick his brain and get him to post some info. I watched some videos of scales with the three and five blade heads and they seem to fly real well. Even saw one guy doing 3D with a five bladed air wolf. I'm betting too from knowing how my full sale feels and responds that there are likely some differneces with the little helis just from the difference in the size from real helis. How the rotors deal with air density has to be different and the r/c helis run much higher headspeeds than real ones do. Top headspeed on my black beauty is 1250 rpm and that is only at full throttle and mid pitch. Yah, a lot of balancing and tracking with those set ups I'm sure but really no more than having several sets of blades for the two blade set up.

This scale thing is going to be a lot of fun. A new challenge.

Hey, hey, got the new computer today. Four days early. Now I get to set it up and learn to use Vista. I'll be installing the G4 sim on it asap tomorrow. Gonna be some real fun goin' on here.

Gotta go and sleep. Have to go out and give the big bird some tlc tomorrow to prep it for the trip to Okie City. I'm on my own with all that as Ames is still in Oregon.

To steal a phrase from someone we all miss "keep 'em whirrin'.
    A helicopter is 40,000 loose parts flying in formation, beating the air into submission and scaring the ground away.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey rotorcraft rowdies,
    I'm pouting a bit. Took the T Rex out this morning for a romp. Had good times until the third pack. Had it hovering real nice at ten feet getting ready to do a climb out and one of the mainblades came apart. Another one of those stock pro 325 woodies. It was a brand new set and came apart about two inches from the blade holder. The crash took out the feathering shaft, the other blade, the maingear, the tail boom and bent the mainshaft. The piece that came off flew the twenty feet in my direction and smacked my left forearm. I have a nice purple spot on my arm as a trophy. Back to the bench I guess. I think I'm going to give up on those woodies. I have two sets of CF blades and tomorrow I'm shopping for more.

Got the G4 sim in the new computer today and have been playing with that. Much nicer than the antique version I've been using. I'm flying and crashing all kinds of aircraft now. I even spent some time with the airplanes just for nostalgia. By golly, I can still fly them.

Gonna get in some sim time before bed.

Later
    A helicopter is 40,000 loose parts flying in formation, beating the air into submission and scaring the ground away.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

flyachopper1,

Sorry to hear about your crash. Hopefully you won't be down that long. It is a good thing that the broken blade hit you in the forearm instead of somewhere more sensitive....LOL!!!

Is the new G4 that much better than the G3? I am planning on ordering the G4 this upcoming week. It would give me something to do when the weather is nasty like it is now. We are having some serious sand storms right about now, and flying is not all that desireable.

Get your bird fixed, and back in the air as soon as possible. I agree, CF's are probably the better way to go. I have had some bad troubles with woodies. I already ordered a couple of sets of CF's for the 400.

I thought about trying out the Plastiblades. I had a set for my Blade CP, and they worked very well. Maybe they would work on the 400. Does anyone out there know how they are working on the T-Rex or B400?
    AMA:898238 Newton\'\'\'\'s Law will always come at inopertune times. \"What goes up, will most definately come down\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Too bad to hear about the failure, but glad to hear you got out of it with just a bruise, coulda been a lot worse. Wood blades always scared me, they’re made of wood, and trees don’t grow to ISO standards, so defects will be there.

If you’re not crashing, you ain’t flyin!

What was your headspeed when your woodies broke? Was that at 100% with the 430XL? With the 430XL at 100% throttle and the 13T pinion I had about 3200RPM. CF are good, they’ll make a difference. I was comparing the cheap China blades to the hyperion carbons today, they look the same, they bend about the same when you bend them like a cantilever test, but the hyperions seem stiffer, well worth the $40 I’d say, the blades made in China even explode at 2800RPM!

Ya the G4 must look great, I’ve seen some screen shots. Super realistic sim, you’ll almost forget you’re even simming, you’ll get the nervous fingers!

Got to test the Scorpion 2221-6V2 today, VERY powerful motor, it does everything it states, draws about 52A, outputs a lot of power 525W it says and I’d believe so, and operates very cool. My 35X esc handled it very well too, I think it was the heatsink/airflow I had for it. My EVO25 ran out about 2 mins 31 sec of flight, mid LVC kicked in, and my TP-601C charger put back in 2017mAh, which calculates to an average draw of 2.017/(2.51/60)= 48.1A. So it’s very close to the 52A they stated. I had 100% throttle across the board. The headspeed sounded VERY high, and the motor didn’t bog even with +13 deg of pitch.
    The 3 min flights seem a little silly, but it’s a fun 3 minutes. Hopefully I can reduce the throttle curve and get longer flights out of it, because I won’t always want powerful 3 min flights.

That’s all for now, fix em up and get em up there!

I just got the video of the scorpion 2221-6V2 in action if you wanta check out it's performance. I don't much 3D, but the power is there for anything.

..landing is optional.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi all;

thought you might like to see my little hobby area. initially was for my trains and now does double duty as the heli station. notice the center divider. had to put that in to keep my wife [also a model railroader] from sneaking her stuff onto my real estate. gotta draw the line somewhere. HA!

enjoy, chris

[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nk27806.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	966577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca81025.jpg 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	966578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Da83156.jpg 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	966579  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

maddog57,It's good your wife shares your hobby with you.At least she understands when you HAVE to have that item,not that you just WANT that item.One thing I would recommend on your transmitter.Since you are an elect tech,pull the back and resolder the circuit board.The electronics are the worse parts of this helicopter but I have heard of people using them by reworking it.Would not hurt doing the same thing to the receiver.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Only micro electrics in here? Any nitro fliers?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey boys thought Id let you know that since you were all having so much fun crashing lately that I dcided to join in the fun and crash too. Hahaha! David, then jim, Jay and me all in 8 days. Thats funny. We got it on cmera. Crazy little damage for the speed. Scrape really. New boom 1/4 skids and blades. They were intact and the flybar is straihgt as an arrow. Belt is missing no teeth and is intact. My Evo appeared un touched. No puff, nodamage, holding a good charge. Its under solitary confinement from the rest of the packs. Haha! Its being disciplined.

Well, after thet I turned to the raptor. It Flew pretty well. It was dead sill out. The G2 likes calm conditions I see. It made for a great backup heli.

TEX. Im sure Jim can help you, he knows NITROS aswell.

Maddog. Nice work area to spread out in. My build room is up and running, but its seasonal for me. Its in the sun room and Vancouver dosent see much of that in the winter. haha!

Hope you were all looking up this weekend.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

drobin,

yeah she's pretty cool and she has the same problem w/ the "gotta have it" thing. i've read somewhere in this forum that the WK0701 PCM [ i understand it's the latest one for the Raptor] tx is pretty good.

chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice workbench maddog57! A clean dedicated work place is very important to heli's, wish I had one.

Hey Tex, not only electrics, anything goes. Nice heli ;o) Nitro's must be fun. I imagine they're like flying with the scorpion 2221-6 motor, but you get longer than 2.5min flights.

Yup, flyerbug's crash was pretty crazy, he was going fast forward flight, and I think he lost orientation like I did on my maiden copterX flight, backdrop of dark green trees makes you lose orientation, and next thing you know you pull right to correct, but that's the wrong way, 5ms later you're cutting the lawn. Flyerbug was flying with the stock V2 canopy, without any neon trims. I think it's in need of Jim's neon monokote handywork.

Ya it's been quite the week for flying. But if you ain't crashin, you ain't flyin!
    ..landing is optional.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: maddog57

drobin,

yeah she's pretty cool and she has the same problem w/ the "gotta have it" thing. i've read somewhere in this forum that the WK0701 PCM [ i understand it's the latest one for the Raptor] tx is pretty good.

chris
    Hay Hay Hay yep we fly nitros too. Trex 600n, and 50 or so others over the years. Welcome to the family Tex.

Maddog your shop is way too clean.

Crashes: I have dinged up my PBY yesterday. Water was very rough with the boat traffic and the small electric float planes will dig in pretty fast. I broke a $6 battery hatch, one of the motors pro nick it. Part ordered. Also knock my Extra 260 off the table and broke a rib and cracked cowling. It was 100 degrees here yesterday so 2 hour of flying is all I could stand. Good part was there was no wind what so ever but was still not a good weekend to fly. I am going to stay at home for a couple of days so the crash grimlens will go away. This is the first time i have dinged an airplane up in many years and now I did two in one weekend and one of my Helis eariler in the week. At least it was me that bopped them and not a parts faulure.

David, Man that 3 min fly time is kinda what I figured with a 13T pinion. You may want to go to a 10T or 11T to harness that power. Just like drag racing, you have to get the torgue on the ground. It sonds like you are burning a ton of current but not really going anywear other than making a cool sound. Be careful of your blades my friend!

Bug: Why should you not be in the dumb thumb club like the rest of us???? HA HA LOL. I always use dayglow on my canopies. An ols man like me can't see otherwise. The trim sheets are very cheap and you can get lots of colors. All you have to do is cut out your design and stick them on. Save the backing paper to use as templates for later on. Sorry for your crash, no really, we are.

Jay: were those Align325 Pros? Did you take the plastic blade holder off and reattach with epoxy or thick CA? That's a must for woodies. I suggest to change your throttle curve down to
    95-85-80-45-95 to take the edge off the blades or just change your pinion down to a 12T. Remember that 2700- 2800 is max at 0 pitch when using woodies. Or better yet put good carbon on.

Later whirly birds,

Jim
    HobbyTown USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: David867

Too bad to hear about the failure, but glad to hear you got out of it with just a bruise, coulda been a lot worse. Wood blades always scared me, they’re made of wood, and trees don’t grow to ISO standards, so defects will be there.

If you’re not crashing, you ain’t flyin!

What was your headspeed when your woodies broke? Was that at 100% with the 430XL? With the 430XL at 100% throttle and the 13T pinion I had about 3200RPM. CF are good, they’ll make a difference. I was comparing the cheap China blades to the hyperion carbons today, they look the same, they bend about the same when you bend them like a cantilever test, but the hyperions seem stiffer, well worth the $40 I’d say, the blades made in China even explode at 2800RPM!

Ya the G4 must look great, I’ve seen some screen shots. Super realistic sim, you’ll almost forget you’re even simming, you’ll get the nervous fingers!

Got to test the Scorpion 2221-6V2 today, VERY powerful motor, it does everything it states, draws about 52A, outputs a lot of power 525W it says and I’d believe so, and operates very cool. My 35X esc handled it very well too, I think it was the heatsink/airflow I had for it. My EVO25 ran out about 2 mins 31 sec of flight, mid LVC kicked in, and my TP-601C charger put back in 2017mAh, which calculates to an average draw of 2.017/(2.51/60)= 48.1A. So it’s very close to the 52A they stated. I had 100% throttle across the board. The headspeed sounded VERY high, and the motor didn’t bog even with +13 deg of pitch.
    The 3 min flights seem a little silly, but it’s a fun 3 minutes. Hopefully I can reduce the throttle curve and get longer flights out of it, because I won’t always want powerful 3 min flights.

That’s all for now, fix em up and get em up there!

I just got the video of the scorpion 2221-6V2 in action if you wanta check out it's performance. I don't much 3D, but the power is there for anything.

Good flying and good power and as I said earlier today may want to take your piniondown to conserve battery power but still have the torque you like. You can now take your pitch range to 12-12 and this will really give you so bail out power. With all that power get all the pitch you can and take a little off of center stick in your powr curve. Try different things to get your self a happy medium of power and endurance. You tail looks to be holding a little better.

Have fun,

Jim
    HobbyTown USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Jim, blades exploding are always in the back of my mind, I shouldn't have landed so close to myself even, but notice that I don't stay in front of myself for every long, I just wanted to see what it'd be like with a 13T pinion, you're right, I was thinking about the same, an 11T should bring it down enough, I still want a high headspeed, I find it gives the tail enough RPM to hold really solid.

I think I'll reduce the timing to low also, to make it more efficient, hopefully it'll still be powerful but make better use of my milliamps.

Ya, it's been a bad week for everyone, but it'll only get better!

Safe and happy flying everyone, don't let the crash gremlins bite!
    ..landing is optional.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

'afternoon guys,

glade ya's like my bench area. try to keep it clean, can't find stuff if i don't. looked at the other threads[?] in the beginners forum and came across a pretty good , FREE sim domnload. it's posted by BLVDBUZZARD under "the real thing vs flight sims". i like it lots more than the E-sky sim i paid $20 for. just some info for someone looking for one

chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: helorookie

flyachopper1,

Sorry to hear about your crash. Hopefully you won't be down that long. It is a good thing that the broken blade hit you in the forearm instead of somewhere more sensitive....LOL!!!

Is the new G4 that much better than the G3? I am planning on ordering the G4 this upcoming week. It would give me something to do when the weather is nasty like it is now. We are having some serious sand storms right about now, and flying is not all that desireable.

Get your bird fixed, and back in the air as soon as possible. I agree, CF's are probably the better way to go. I have had some bad troubles with woodies. I already ordered a couple of sets of CF's for the 400.

I thought about trying out the Plastiblades. I had a set for my Blade CP, and they worked very well. Maybe they would work on the 400. Does anyone out there know how they are working on the T-Rex or B400?
    Don't use plastic bvlades on 400 or 450 helis. They are about the most un safe for that much power. I would rather bust a blade than a whole lot of parts. I think of baldes as expendable. A good set is always better for safe and fun "heliatoring"

Jim
    HobbyTown USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: David867

Thanks Jim, blades exploding are always in the back of my mind, I shouldn't have landed so close to myself even, but notice that I don't stay in front of myself for every long, I just wanted to see what it'd be like with a 13T pinion, you're right, I was thinking about the same, an 11T should bring it down enough, I still want a high headspeed, I find it gives the tail enough RPM to hold really solid.

I think I'll reduce the timing to low also, to make it more efficient, hopefully it'll still be powerful but make better use of my milliamps.

Ya, it's been a bad week for everyone, but it'll only get better!

Safe and happy flying everyone, don't let the crash gremlins bite!
    Leave your timing on high and reduce your gear and increase pitch. You will have a lot of torque for 3D and note bog the tail down. I set my ESC in airplane mode and do not use soft start or braking. I use high throttle response and low battery timing. I use a timer on my transmitter so the battery cut off is set low on mine. No govenor on mine. It doesn't work very well anyway.

Jim
    HobbyTown USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys I was just checking if you all were just discussing electrics. I have been flying helis for just over a year. Started with a 1st gen BCP and now I only have nitro.

David, Nitro helis are tons of fun, 10 min flights all day long.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: []TEX[]

Hey guys I was just checking if you all were just discussing electrics. I have been flying helis for just over a year. Started with a 1st gen BCP and now I only have nitro.

David, Nitro helis are tons of fun, 10 min flights all day long.
    Oh yes the nitros are super. I fly them but I use a Trex450 and a CopterX to go on the road with me while playing music. The noise of the nitros are usually not welcome at parks and only at Flying club fields. What heli do you have? I use the Trex600n with OS50Hyper when home.
    My all round favorite is the EVO .50, a little heavy but smooth like a pattern airplane.

Welcome and keep posting.

Jim
    HobbyTown USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a highly upgraded Titan, I fly it at any park there aren't people or at our AMA field.

Used to have a few T-Rex helis but they were more annoying than fun for me.

I usually fly with a friend who has a 600N, it's pretty nice, but mine autos better.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: []TEX[]

I have a highly upgraded Titan, I fly it at any park there aren't people or at our AMA field.

Used to have a few T-Rex helis but they were more annoying than fun for me.

I usually fly with a friend who has a 600N, it's pretty nice, but mine autos better.
    Yeah the Titan is sweet. The Align is not as smooth and sweet as the Titan but fun to bang around. I never owned a TT heli but have flown many of them. The 600 autos very nice if you have the correct blades on it. V-Blades or Radex have better feel than the Align offering.

Later.

Jim
    HobbyTown USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

maddog57,
    chris,did you get my answer? I got you first pm this afternoon.And that was in my junk mail box for some reason.This week is bad.How about a week from Friday?That would be the 20th.I don't believe I have something every day.Retirement is great.
    I still have the problem of the nose spinning to the left that I can't figure out.I had the gears out and reglued them and changed the belt.It's not twisted or
    slipping.It was ok until I had a tail boom strike.I replaced the blades,put the plastic head back on and changed the blades.It's not in the gyro.I'll just have to keep looking.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Agreed, we both fly V-Blades and Radix. He uses a YS and I use the Hyper. He just recently got a carb smart for his 600N, that's a nice addiction to anyones heli.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have quite a bit of experience with the micros, what's the problem with your tail drobin?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The nose spins to the left.Starts as soon as I add power.The belt isn't slipping and everything else seems ok.I'm using a gy401 gyro with a fatuba 9650 servo.The only other thing I'm thinking,I'm using a trex tail system with the g2 blades.I think I may have to get the trex blades.

Page 7 of 216 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast