Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 9 of 216 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Heli stuff and fellowship

So be sure you get a generic helicopter tat because you don't want the other helicopters to get jealous. You could just get a dagger through the heart and under it write "M O T H E R",
    RAPTERG2 or TREX or Copter X "Happens"

Where are your tricks of the trade!!!? I know Jay has a bunch of them and so does Bug.

Jim
    HobbyTown USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I dont have too many bright tips. I do have a thin gauge wire in my box to pull the belt, but never thought to use sauder. Thats brilliant. Im SMRT smart unlike some of you. One thing I know is if your elv controll rod is not dead center you can grind down the flange on your ball link, or offset is thats the right term . I had to do that for my tail servo aswell. Works great, but that is just common sense. My Raptor bottom plate mod was good, but thats all old news.

Its hard to be original. Ill let you know when the light shines bright.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a Mega Power 2100mAH 15c battery from Helidirect.It is one they recommened for trex plus others.The problem is the size.Won't fit in the battery holder so I trimmed the bottom of my canony and mounted the battery on the bottom of the frame with velcro and wire ties.I'm still spinning but it will at least hover with it like this.I haven't had a chance to try it outside yet.If it does not work,I'll put a brushless motor on my slo-stick and use it there.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: drobin

I have a Mega Power 2100mAH 15c battery from Helidirect.It is one they recommened for trex plus others.The problem is the size.Won't fit in the battery holder so I trimmed the bottom of my canony and mounted the battery on the bottom of the frame with velcro and wire ties.I'm still spinning but it will at least hover with it like this.I haven't had a chance to try it outside yet.If it does not work,I'll put a brushless motor on my slo-stick and use it there.
    Good Idea! The battery will fly fine on the bottom tray. Your heli is still spinning because you have not tried to investigate the reason by using the many clues we have given you. It won't fix itself. Sorry, sometimes I have to give some tough love.

Jim

Jim
    HobbyTown USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No Jim,

I haven't had time to check it out.I will use your clues.As I said,they are by my helicopter.I had a nerve block done in my neck this morning and I've been told not to do anything for 24 hours.Can't drive and stay away from stairs.I can only go in the pool if I have a baby sitter.It's going to cool off again next week and I'll have more time to check it out.My workshop is in my basement with a record player,old computer and refig for beer and soda.My wife wonders why I spend so much time there.HAHA.
    I get even with tough love.I just won't bring my riding lawn mower down to you the next time you break a belt.You'll have to use your push mower.That will teach you.

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No Jim,

I haven't had time to check it out.I will use your clues.As I said,they are by my helicopter.I had a nerve block done in my neck this morning and I've been told not to do anything for 24 hours.Can't drive and stay away from stairs.I can only go in the pool if I have a baby sitter.It's going to cool off again next week and I'll have more time to check it out.My workshop is in my basement with a record player,old computer and refig for beer and soda.My wife wonders why I spend so much time there.HAHA.
    I get even with tough love.I just won't bring my riding lawn mower down to you the next time you break a belt.You'll have to use your push mower.That will teach you.

Dave
    HAHA I still love you brother. Let me see..... a shop with frig for the beer. Now thats what I call a trick of the trade!!!. Please get well for us> I tried to use that I was sick excuse to get out of the yard work but "She who must be obeyed" just pointed her finger toward the door.

Take care my friend,

Jim
    HobbyTown USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Grass is cut, mower's fixed, time to FLY!!!!!!!

A beer fridge in the shop! Ya that's awesome!

Take it easy Dave and take all their advice, that sounds pretty serious, you gotta get well before you start flying outside. When I first started I'd fly too high, and I'd have to look wayyyyy up and fight to get it down. I'm guessing looking up high is pretty tough for you right now, so don't go fly until you've got no problems moving all around.
    That's a great trick with your battery mounted on the bottom of the frame, it should fly properly, and even be more stable that way! Weight below the heli makes it more stable, I think.

I mounted a camera on the bottom and it seemed to fly fairly well. bug recorded from the ground, and I recorded from the onboard camera, and I put the 2 videos together, it looks pretty neat, you can get a feel for what it's like, hanging from the bottom of a heli! It's on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U19ltX6SMVM

flyerbug, how's the Trex coming along? I bet those orange belts are waiting for us now!
    ..landing is optional.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's an interesting video.Too bad you can't watch it on a computer in real time.How high were you flying
    Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey all,
    Work, work, work. I'm almost sorry I took a contract with a bunch of gooberment suits and ties. They have got to be the hardest to please, snobbish, self loving bunch I've dealt with. The flying part is great, but these bumblecrats love their meetings and red tape. I finally just this morning made them happy with their first four sets of aerial maps. They would have turned down the last one except I put my foot down and told them perhaps the lawyers needed to review the contracts. They don't seem to understand that a camera only sees what is actually there and I can't give them pictures of what they fantasized would be there. I told them today that I was done for this trip and if they wnated me back later they best be happy with what they have and better understand how hard this type of flying is on my black beauty. I refused to fly it any more until I get her checked out, serviced and cleaned. I'm flying commercial home in the morning so I can leave my heli here to be given some TLC. There is a real good shop here and Ames is way to backed up right now to deal with it. I have a feeling I'll be glad when this part of this job is done. Once construction has started I'll just do progress photos. That should be easier work.

OK-got that off my chest.

Hmmmm-tricks of the trade. Off the top of my head-get a small 6" vise with a clamp mount that you can mount on the edge of your bench. Make some "soft" covers for the jaws out of leather for holding small fragile parts or assemblies. you'll find a ton of uses for that. Sometimes you'll use it without the soft jaws too. Works real good for tapping bearings out of housings, holding things while you heat them, holding pieces of wire while you solder. Just a few examples. Your mechanical sense will give you a lot more ideas for that. The kind with a clamp base lets you get it out of your way when it's not needed.

Another 'trick' I've done right from the start with my first heli is get a three ring notebook and document everything. Make drawings, take photos, write a lot of notes. As you go you can create 'sections' in the book so you can organize it. The three ring type allows you to add pages where you want and even allows photo album pages to be added for the photos. My note books have saved me a lot of guessing when rebuilding. Quick little diagrams of how you ran wiring and other things you change from original come in real handy for doing it over again. Make notes on where you bought parts so it's easy to get them again. Especially if you found a good vendor with good prices. I know a lot of you note things, but the manuals you'll create in the notebooks will have it all in one place. I get kind of fancy shmancy with mine and get the notebook covers that you can slip a cover sheet into the outside front cover. I take a good pic of the heli it refers to and put it right on the cover. Looks cool and makes it easy to find the one you need at the moment. I use a three hole punch and add the factory manuals to the notebooks too.

One more you may have all thought of already is to magnetize your little screwdrivers and allen wrenches. I like this for inserting screws into tight places. you can magnetize a tool by just pulling it across a strong magnet in the same direction a few times. No worries about using these close to your electronics. The magnetic field on the tool won't be strong enough to damage anything. Once in a while you'll come across a tool that won't magnetize. This is because it is likely stainless steel or an alloy using stainless. Some screws are stainless too and won't stick to a magnet. Rarely though. Most screws that are called stainless have enough regular steel in them to stick.

One other thing I added a long time ago that is one of the best additions to my bench is a big magnifier on a flexible arm with a light built in. I know a lot of the older folks waited until their eyesight demanded one, but get one now. It will thrill you how easy it makes a lot of things even if you have good eyes. When your not using it to magnify it doubles nicely as a bright light over your bench. I saw them on Overstock.com at real good prices. Mine has the round fluoresent bulb in it. It's over twelve years old and I've never had to replace the bulb. They come with an electrical outlet in the base too which puts one real close to your work on the bench.

Gotta get some sleep so I can catch a plane (ugh) in the morning and head home.

I didn't have time to work on the T Rex here but it's all packed in it's aluminum case and ready to go home with me. I'll get some done on it there.

Talk to ya later. I'll think of some more "trade methods" too.
    A helicopter is 40,000 loose parts flying in formation, beating the air into submission and scaring the ground away.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi all,

everybody has some good tips there. the lighted magnifier i use at the bench is the binocular type that's worn like a visor. it has a small LED lite built in that's good for close-up work. it also has interchangable lenses of varing magnafacation that snap into hinged frames that flip up / down within the visor, depending on how much you need. the entire visor will flip up out of the way when needed. with it down, just by tipping your head up/down slightly will give instant view thru the lenses or below them for normal vision. they work great for me. Micro-Mark has 3 or 4 types and most hobby shops, craft stores ,ect., have them.

just a tip from a new guy.

chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good stuff Jay and Maddog.

Can't hang long this morning. I have to hit the road for a show this afternoon.

Take care,

Jim
    HobbyTown USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got to work on mine today.Got the spinning problem resolved.I replaced everything from the gear on back than tested it from Jim's instructions.The problem was a twist in the belt but I wanted to go back stock parts.All but the electronics.I have enough parts so I may build one
    just to test upgrades on.Use this one to learn to fly.The original cause of the problem was a blade strike on the tail boom caused be the metal upgrade head from Walkera.Needless to say,I tossed those parts.After the blade strike,I took the advice of the guys here and replaced the main shaft and blades although they looked ok.
    A tip on the main shaft,if you have to use one after an unplanned landing,pull it strip it down,(the shaft,not you) and roll it on a piece of glass.This will show a bent shaft.

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got to work on mine today.Got the spinning problem resolved.I replaced everything from the gear on back than tested it from Jim's instructions.The problem was a twist in the belt but I wanted to go back stock parts.All but the electronics.I have enough parts so I may build one
    just to test upgrades on.Use this one to learn to fly.The original cause of the problem was a blade strike on the tail boom caused be the metal upgrade head from Walkera.Needless to say,I tossed those parts.After the blade strike,I took the advice of the guys here and replaced the main shaft and blades although they looked ok.
    A tip on the main shaft,if you have to use one after an unplanned landing,pull it strip it down,(the shaft,not you) and roll it on a piece of glass.This will show a bent shaft.

Dave
    Glad you found it. Strip down? oh you mean the head, my bad. Good trick of the trade. Keep them coming. Yes I always change out the main shaft no matter what. I check later after I get my crash back together. I feel that you have to get back on the horse right away when you prang it. I can usually fix mine at the field while waiting on a flying station. I have a little box with dividers and I have most of the extra parts I think I will need.

Jim
    HobbyTown USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flew today with the Radix blades, holy crap do they auto forever! Nicest blades I've flown yet!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is my tip. Get the right tool you need. I struggled through two builds using the L shaped hex drivers. Stripping them, and the button heads on the Trex heli's. I finally bought the a set of Mavrick drivers, and a set of Align drivers. Best investment I have made in the hobby yet. I bought a digital caliper from Harbor Freight for fifteen bucks that after using it I could have kicked myself for spending hours making links using my metal ruler. The list goes on LOL cause I am a slow learner but persistant.
    T 450 V2, T 500, T 600

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: []TEX[]

Flew today with the Radix blades, holy crap do they auto forever! Nicest blades I've flown yet!
    Yep,, told ya. Worth the price. 3D well also.
    Jim
    HobbyTown USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Magic Hook

Here is my tip. Get the right tool you need. I struggled through two builds using the L shaped hex drivers. Stripping them, and the button heads on the Trex heli's. I finally bought the a set of Mavrick drivers, and a set of Align drivers. Best investment I have made in the hobby yet. I bought a digital caliper from Harbor Freight for fifteen bucks that after using it I could have kicked myself for spending hours making links using my metal ruler. The list goes on LOL cause I am a slow learner but persistant.
    You really hit it on the head, proper tools. To bad the Align tools are hard to get. Everyone has sold out of them. I am really crazy when purchasing tools. I gotta have them!!! Its and addiction. You you guessed it,,, What do I want for Fathers day,? yep more tools.

Jim
    HobbyTown USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yah for sure. Gotta have dem tools you betcha. I too am a nut about tools. I'll even rescue an old rusty wrench from a hole in the ground, take it home, clean it up and give it a home in my toolbox. In my micro tool collection I have standard and metric ball end allen drivers and they are the best thing since sliced and individually wrapped cheese. Never slip or tear up a socket head. A set of small nut drivers are good too. Another great addition to my collection was a set of micro drills and taps with a pin vise to hold them. I also found a real nice little tool called a die plate. It's a plate of tool steel with the dies drillied into it. Great for threading control rods and flybars. The local hobby shop here stocks stainless and regular steel rods in the sizes for flybars and control rods so I can make my own. A good source of tools at real good prices is Micro Tools at https://www.micro-tools.com/store/home.aspx. They are inexpensive, fast shippers and the owner is a certified plane and rotorcraft pilot. They're located in Fargo No. Dakota so they're close to all you Canadians too. When I got my orders from them so fast I e mailed them to thank them for the good service and the owner personally answered my e mail. We've sent notes back and forth since and have gotten to be friends. He's a down to earth kinda guy and a fellow full scale pilot. He welcomes e mail about his products and wants to be sure customers are happy.

Went out to visit with Ames for a while today. The poor guy is swamped with work. Every aircraft owner in the county wants their craft serviced and ready to fly around in the nice weather. A lot of the ranchers here use planes to fly their properties and they beat them up a lot. He's got a Cesna sitting next to the shop right now that has half of the prop imbedded into the engine cowling. The country boy that flies it said he "kinda" landed a bit fast and stood her up on the nose. Looks like the prop tore into the engine so it's gonna be a lot of fixin' on that one. There's an old ex army Piper out there that looks like it revisited Vietnam. Holes all over it and big pieces of fuselage missing. The owner said he landed her a little rough into some small trees. It hilarious to hear some of the stories out there. Some of these cowboys ride their planes like they do an onery horse. He said to send greetings to all of you. He really does plan to work on the T Rex soon. Business first though. Cash flow is important. Debi says hi too. She's busy keeping the office and books up to snuff for Ames. Those two are about to work themselves to exhaustion. They have a new house to move into also. I'm going to break out the Ford truck tomorrow morning and haul some loads of boxes over to the new place for them. Ames said they're going to hire Mayflower to move all the furniture and big stuff. They haven't sold the old house yet so they aren't on a deadline.

I only got as far as unpacking the T Rex and getting it all set up on the bench. It looks like the repairs are going to be easy ones and once I get started it won't take long. I found out on this trip to Okie City that the aluminum cases fit perfectly into the baggage compartment of the black beauty and three of them stack in there perfectly. Very handy. Now I'm considering getting several more of the cases to use as luggage for travelling in the full scale.

JD-there is a good chance I'll be ordering the scale body for the CX real soon. I'm thinking maybe a Squirrel and an Air wolf both at the same time. I'll let you know when I get them and how good they are. It's good to hear you have bookings. Keeps the juices flowing for the music and boosts the old budget. Keep them folks dancin'. It's good for them. Hey, if we're all gonna get together and fly on you acerage I need to know if there's a spot big enough to set down in the black beauty. Ames said he'd volunteer to help mow and Debi says she'll help make lunches.

The phone started ringing early today with calls from the railroad and landowners wanting to know when I can overfly some of the flooded areas here in Nebr.some in Iowa and some in Missouri. Lots of lowland flooding out in the ranchlands and the rairoad has several of its bridges and mainlines washed out. I can't help them out this week as the black beauty is in Okie City in the shop there. I have accepted some work for week after next for the railroad. I'll be flying out over Iowa and some of Missouri. I'll be taking an official and a photographer from the Federal Railroad Administration along so they can document damages. Geez-more bureaucrats. Can't seem to get away from them this year. At least this time all I have to do is pilot. If the photos don't turn out they can growl at their own photographer. It's good money though and that makes it easy to take. I'm betting the state boys in Nebr. will be calling soon as the rivers are changing their courses again. I love that work. It gets me out over and into some real nice country and I can do it at my own pace.

Whoa-look at the time. Almost 1 AM. Best get some sleep.

Talked to Donica today and she is well and busy in El Paso. Said Hi y'all.
    A helicopter is 40,000 loose parts flying in formation, beating the air into submission and scaring the ground away.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dooleyje

Yep,, told ya. Worth the price. 3D well also.
    Jim
    The price was the best part $45 NIP from a friend.[8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi all,

just a word to all the Dads out there... Happy Heli Fathers day!

chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

THANKS!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very nice helis you kids got here. i'm coming back to my childhood for the second time.. i have been looking at these electric helis for quite some time now.. i barely could stand up for 5 minutes straight, my back hurts and as soon as i bend down i just go straight crashing to the ground face first. But i would love to be in this heli hobby. Any suggestions kids?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey drobin, glad you liked the view from the bottom of the CopterX, I didn't fly that high, I've been much higher before, but it becomes hard to see so it's kinda scary. When I mount it forward facing, and get a servo on there to take high res photos, I'll take it real high up and get some nice shots.

Good to hear the business is good Jay! That's always good, more funding for more toys! Too bad Ames hasn't gotten around to his heli, but if he makes $$ now, imagine all the upgrades and spare parts he can get! What upgrades are you gonna do next?

I've been eyeing up the beam swashplate, sounds like a lot of people are happy with that swash.
    Did you order the orange belts? I should have 5 of those in my mailbox at home, flyerbug and I will be putting those on our heli's.
    I'm doing alright with the CopterX belt, survived all my crashes so far, but it's wearing out slowly, I can see the rubber powder around the gears.

Hey Jim, I'm having some trouble with my tail, the head speed is considerably less with the 11T, so the tail speed is less, and now my tail deflects when giving high pitch climbouts. I think the tail slider is sticking. The brass collar has a lot of play, even with the edges sanded down, it still catches somewhat. Does your tail deflect at all?

hi 80 yrOldog, that's great that you want to get into the electric heli's, it's definitely a great hobby to get into. I would suggest getting the blade 400 3D RTF kit, it's a great place to start if your local hobby shop has a lot of parts for it. If they support the Trex 450's more, then that's probably the way to go. And if you want to buy the CopterX, it's a cheaper way of getting a 450 SE V2 heli, then give www.ushobbysupply.com a call, he'll help you get started, Jim says he'll put together an entire package for you, to make sure you get started right.

To the Dads out there: Happy Father's Day!
    ..landing is optional.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So who all are going to get the Rex 700 when it comes out? *raises hand*

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So who all are going to get the Rex 700 when it comes out? *raises hand*
    Too rich for me. If I lived in the country I would, but I live in a city and I dont want to give Helis a bad name. The mother of all RC helis...Hahah! Ill keep fling the offsprings.

I flew my TREX this morning at 7am. Perfect still weather and then my belt snapped about 30 ft up. Killed the throttle and managed to do a messy autorotation. All I broke was 1 skid, thats two times lucky in two weeks. Both my crashes cost me about $25. Haha!. Cheap. I love it.

Well, going flying again. Perfect still sunny evening. Hope you got to fly today.

Bug

Page 9 of 216 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast