Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

best place to purchase...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

best place to purchase...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Igotntc3andrevo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best place to purchase...

hello guys i was wondering where is the best place to purchase a Rapter .30? this will be my first heli and the local hobby shop doesnt carry them as i know because i use to work there.
thanks
Old 06-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Osirisf16

Default RE: best place to purchase...

Amain have them

www.amainhobbies.com

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...&filter_mfr=41
Old 06-04-2008, 02:51 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

http://www.heliproz.com
http://www.ronlund.com
http://www.onlyraptors.com

are all good retailers. Amain is too.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:04 AM
Igotntc3andrevo

alright thanks so there is no best place? I actually did find a hobby shop with it for sale and they said i should go with a eflight 400 what do you all say? yeah i know its electric.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:16 AM
USHobbySupply

I flew a raptor 30 recently (trainer corded to the owner) and it was a delight. Not a beginners bird, but much better than most of the small electrics!!! It was sooooo stable. Actually, we have a local fly in tomorrow and all weekend, i'm hoping to get some more time on that baby!
Old 06-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Igotntc3andrevo

alright thanks so there is no best place? I actually did find a hobby shop with it for sale and they said i should go with a eflight 400 what do you all say? yeah i know its electric.
Are you getting cold feet? there is nothing wrong with the Raptor 30 if that is what you want. Before the entrance of the electric revolution onto the market, a 30 sized helicopter was the only thing available to learn.

A Raptor 30 is a perfect platform to learn on, don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Although iff you are sticking with nitros and are hoping to become the next aerobatic champion I would suggest to go straight to a 50.

Rafael
Old 06-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Igotntc3andrevo

lol thanks alot rafael.....not really gettin cold feet i just thought about it a little now how does this sound since that electric does come with that spectrum radio wouldnt it be a good idea to get that for say 500- to 600 bucks then after purchasing it learn on it and get good then buy a gasser with everything but the radio gear? because as i understand non of the raptor kits come with radio gear transmitter gyros and stuff right. and wouldnt i be totally lost putting it together? (dont get me wrong i can put things together as i have built many nitro cars and trucks etc) but would it be a reaaaally big and expensive learning curve if i went with the raptor? instead of the 400? I really want the gas but dont want to poor my money away.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I started this hobby when I was about 20 years old and still in college. I worked summer and after school to be able to purchase my first helicopter, a MFA Sprot 500 from Hobby Lobby. It was advertised to be able to fly with a 40 size airplane engine. After I purchased everything, I put it toghether and set off to fly it. I should have flown except that I made a mistake assembling the pitch gauge. It was about 3-4 degrees off. Add that to the fact that I had no money left to join a club and get some decent "coaching" from an experienced heli pilot.

The end result? I was frustrated for about 2 years just being able to lif this heli up about 10 inches off the ground. By that time, I had saved enough money to purchase a Concept 30 DX. It came with a paper pitch gauge in the box. I assembled it and was able to compare the store bought pitch gauge to the paper pitch gauge that came with the Concept. That's when I noticed the error. I fixed the pitch gauge, re-set the Sport 500, and have never looked back. It was all learning after that.

A big factor is your budget. From your word selection, I gather that you want to keep your budget under control and in the $500 - $600 area. Can't say anything about that. I would say that the hobby of RC helicopters is expensive. No way around that one.

I can't tell you where to go and what to purchase. If you want a 400, then get a 400. If you want a Raptor 50, then get a Raptor 50. If you know where the local shop is I assume that you know where the local flying field is. I hope you have been there and have been able to see some of these birds fly. Try to get a pilot to give you a "demo" on a buddy box. You will definitely make up your mind then.

Rafael