Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Is there a TRUE beginner's electric helio?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Is there a TRUE beginner's electric helio?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Wierdone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a TRUE beginner's electric helio?

I am beginning to wonder if there is shuch a thing as and electric "Beginner's" Heli besides the coaxials

I am searching high and low to see if, possibly, I am wrong. I am now on my 2nd collective pitch electric beginner's (so called) heli in less than 2 weeks. I got to this point by learning to fly a CX2 fairly proficintly and I have flown my flight sim until I dream about it. I finally decided it was time to try my hand at collective pitch Heli's and, since I've flown fixed-wing electric for the past 2 years and have all the equipment, I decided to go alecric. Also, all the reviews said electrics were less expensive to repair than nitros and would work just as well. To date, I am on my 2nd Heli in 2 weeks. Both blew there operating systems (the 3 in 1 board and the reciever). It was the same heli in both cases. The 1st one, I understand. I did crash is from about 10 feet when it got away from me, but it kept on flying after that! Then I broke the the tail rotor motor leads and they must have shorted, thus blowing the boards.

The folks at the hobby shop added up the damage, gave me the bad news and recommened I buy a new Heli and save about 20 bucks This I did and was very careful with it. By this time I had just about gotten tha basics of hovering down so I just flew short little hovering jaunts. After one suuch uneventful flight 3 days later, the Heli would no longer turn the main rotor (de je vue). Then, the tail rotor quit and I smelled the now familliar odor of burn't electric parts.

My question is in 2 parts:

1. Is there an electric heli out there rugged enough to desrve the name "beginner"?

2. If the answer to question 1 is a resounding "NO!" can anyone direct me to a good beginner nitro model. If the answer to question one is a resounding "YES!", can anyone give me to name(s) of the heli(s)?

I am purposely not naming the model I bought because I am told by many sources that they are the "cream of the crop" and I do not want to smear their name on the off change the 2nd heli was a "dud"

Thanks all!

Weirdone

PS If you want to know what Heli I am trying to fly, email me and I will respond the same way. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Magic Hook

Default RE: Is there a TRUE beginner's electric helio?

I would start with a good simulator program if you computer can handle it. After that its all a matter of budget vs quality. I would suggest you start with nothing smaller that a 450 sized heli to learn.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Wierdone

Thank you VERY much! I have the FS1 simulator but if you have a different one you'd suggest, I'd be happy to listen. As for the 450 Heli, that's not a problem but, will it stand up to those occsional Blade strikes? (actually blade tip "nips") I had considered an
E-flite Blade 400 and pulling out all the servos and replacing them with MG servos. Any thoughts or go bigger, like you said?

Once more, my thanks
Old 07-13-2008, 09:31 PM
GRR_Mojo

If the blade is what your LHS has parts for then that may be a good choice. I have no LHS so everything I get comes thru the mail.
I have tought myself to fly, using a sim(FMS) and home made trainning gear(dowel rods and ping pong balls) as large as the rotor disc, and cutting them shorter untill I just took them off.
I bought a Thunder Tiger Mini Titan and once setup and trimmed it is a sweet bird. Spend the money and get a good radio(I have a DX-7) fly short hops untill you get her trimmed and comfortable in a hover, But most of all take your time.
The general rule is, the larger the rotor disc the more stable the bird.

Nothing worth a darn ever comes easy!
Old 07-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: Wierdone

I am beginning to wonder if there is shuch a thing as and electric "Beginner's" Heli besides the coaxials

I am searching high and low to see if, possibly, I am wrong. I am now on my 2nd collective pitch electric beginner's (so called) heli in less than 2 weeks. I got to this point by learning to fly a CX2 fairly proficintly and I have flown my flight sim until I dream about it. I finally decided it was time to try my hand at collective pitch Heli's and, since I've flown fixed-wing electric for the past 2 years and have all the equipment, I decided to go alecric. Also, all the reviews said electrics were less expensive to repair than nitros and would work just as well. To date, I am on my 2nd Heli in 2 weeks. Both blew there operating systems (the 3 in 1 board and the reciever). It was the same heli in both cases. The 1st one, I understand. I did crash is from about 10 feet when it got away from me, but it kept on flying after that! Then I broke the the tail rotor motor leads and they must have shorted, thus blowing the boards.

The folks at the hobby shop added up the damage, gave me the bad news and recommened I buy a new Heli and save about 20 bucks This I did and was very careful with it. By this time I had just about gotten tha basics of hovering down so I just flew short little hovering jaunts. After one suuch uneventful flight 3 days later, the Heli would no longer turn the main rotor (de je vue). Then, the tail rotor quit and I smelled the now familliar odor of burn't electric parts.

My question is in 2 parts:

1. Is there an electric heli out there rugged enough to desrve the name "beginner"?

2. If the answer to question 1 is a resounding "NO!" can anyone direct me to a good beginner nitro model. If the answer to question one is a resounding "YES!", can anyone give me to name(s) of the heli(s)?

I am purposely not naming the model I bought because I am told by many sources that they are the "cream of the crop" and I do not want to smear their name on the off change the 2nd heli was a "dud"

Thanks all!

Weirdone

PS If you want to know what Heli I am trying to fly, email me and I will respond the same way. Thanks!
LOL, If you got the heli from the local hobby shop and it's a "reputable" brand and considered "cream of the crop" but uses a 3in1 (btw, I don't consider ANY heli that uses a 3in1 as cream of the crop), then it's probably the EFlite CP Pro. I have no concerns whatsoever with saying it's a piece of crap. I owned the blade cp and a more twitchy, less durable, expensive to fix heli I've never seen. $4 for 1 spindle shaft... ridiculous.

300 size helis by their nature are pretty much all low end, think of it this way, an RTF heli for under $200 which comes with radio, all the electronics and the heli??? That's not to say they don't have their place, I really started to learn how to fly once I got rid of my blade cp and got the esky belt cp. The belt cp was larger, much more durable, parts were cheaper and 10 times more stable than the blade cp, it was only $200. Moved up quickly after that but I still think it's one of the best values for $200 out there.

Going nitro may be the answer but then you're talking at least a .30 size and for the price you will probably then end up going with a .50 size. Then you're talking at least $1000 to get just the heli set up, then add the price of the radio on top of that. Many .50 helis will end up costing over $2000.

The 450 or 500/550 size heli may be the best bet, larger is more stable. The hurricane 550 is $320 for the kit w/ motor and esc, add the servos, gyro and radio and you're probably looking at $800 to get it in the air (this is based on using the DX7 w/ 821 servos).
Old 07-14-2008, 12:33 AM
Wierdone

ROFL.... yep, I figured out the heli I bought was Not, as I was told, the Cream of the crop" in its size class,,, 300. I now know that is it ain't brushless, leave is alone. If it ain't AT LEAST a Blade 400 with MG servoes or Esky belt CP, leave it alone. The good news is, since I did a fair amount of electric fixed wing dlying before my health gave out and I could no longer go chasing my planes when I made a poor landing, I did buy a DX7 so Im set for a radio once I go past the Blade 400. Once I get my current Heli out of the shop, I'm gonna fly it in hover mode until it gives out (about a week I figure), then chunk the whole thing and start over with a Blade or Esky. Thank you all for the great comments and from keeping me from spending a ton on a nitro (welll a ton for me). If I ever get my chopper in the air, I'll post a pic. Thanks once more.

Weirdone
Old 07-14-2008, 09:14 AM
Skarn

The true answer to the original question is to NOT get ANY micro heli! The small, twitchy micro helis are so VERY hard to learn on. Yes, it's possible as many have done it, but very frustrating.

I personally would not recommend anything smaller than a 450 size heli for a beginner.....given that, the B400 isn't a bad starter. But I feel you really should build one from a kit...that way you won't be intimidated or have long down time after a wreck since you'll know how to rebuilt it without any trouble.

Good luck!
Skarn
Old 07-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Wierdone

Thank you Skarn!! Excellent advice. Can you give me some ideas about good kits to buy? I have the radio, a Spektrun DX7, so I am set there. I just need guidance as to the kit.

My sincerest thanks,
Weirdone
Old 07-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Druss

There really aren't that many kits in the 450 size, most come 90% complete. The only real high quality kit that i know of is the thunder tiger minititan e325.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Wierdone

Yep... that's the one I was thinking of. I thought the Trex came in kit but I wus wrong. I definitely appreciate the help. I'll start saving those pennies and fly the wings off my sim. If you want a pic of the mini titan when I finally get it done, just send me an email. (Since I am goimg to have to break the bank to get the kit, I might as well go all the way. I am going to get a Cobra gunship fuselage for it as well)

My sincerest thanks,
Weirdone
Old 07-14-2008, 12:44 PM
DumbDawg
My Feedback: (3)

Nitro for a starter heli??? I wouwldn't be considering that one unless I had some guyz around already into nitro to give you some support. With nitro you are talkng a whole new ballgame in complexity. Also if you don't get it right with nitro.... well have you seen the funky chicken dances they will do??? They beat themselves to death.

One thing to remember is.. the larger the heli the less nimble it will be.. so more slower and slugish compared to a small heli.

Hope that helps some

happy fly'n
Old 07-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Skarn

The TREX 450 SE v2 is a decent kit. It's an ARF, but since you will have to remove all the bolts to apply loctite, you get the benefit of building a complete kit. The mini titan is great, but my LHS didn't carry ANY parts for it so I chose the trex and love it!

Good luck bro!

Skarn
Old 07-14-2008, 02:30 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

The large nitro helis are much easier to learn on than the small electrics IMO.

I started with a Raptor 50 V2 (and a flight simulator). After learning on that, I got a Shogun 400 and a Blade CP. These small helis are harder to fly, any little bit of wind will blow them around. They definitely feel more twitchy and less stable than my 50 size heli. The Shogun, with a BL motor, LiPo battery, and Futaba GY401 HH gyro flew much better than the Blade CP, but it was still not as stable as my Raptor 50. The larger nitros are just more fun to fly IMO. I'm sure a large electric of similar size/weight & with a BL/LiPo power system would be fine too.

The only small electric I like is the Blade CX2, It's nice and stable for flying around the house. But as you've noticed, it's easy to get board with it!
Old 07-15-2008, 08:50 AM
james199

as one that has been down the What Helicopter to buy for the FIRST TIME road i started out with a venture 30 would i do it again ..?.. NOPE !! as it cost me a small fortune i broke everything at least 100 times the first 25 was just getting off the ground it took me what seemed to be a life time to hover i had no one where i lived that flew helicopters so finding a instructor was out of the question i was (am) hard headed and i knew i could beat the air into submission no matter what . finally i bought a blade cx 2 and a flight sim with in a few days i was back to flying the venture 30 and i haven't looked back since. was the CX worth the money ? YES it saved me 100.00's if not more. if someone tells you that a 400 size is the way to go as a first heli they probably arnt your friend as they are realy twitchy and FAST in response and arnt good as a first heli they are cheeper than a nitro to fix but they hit the ground faster, i my opinion also if you dont have a instructor then do yourself a favor start small and cheep and take baby steps get a flight sim get a flight sim get a flight sim did i mention GET A FLIGHT SIM . if this doesnt appeal to you then buy yourself a CX 2 , lama, or any other counter rotating heli and fly it until you can fly and hover it in all the directions, (ie) hover left, right side and noise in and fly figure 8's then you will be ready for the bigger and faster helicopters and you WILL HAVE THE CONFIDENCE AND SKILL TO FLY THEM WITH LITTLE TROUBLE. also thoes little heli's are a blast on the days you cant go outside and itch to fly is GREAT

this is my advice to everyone .
i hope this helps you
Old 07-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Wierdone

Sorry about the comment about the gunship fuselage. I led everyone astray I fear, Nope, I am not going directly into nitro. The fuselage comment was for the future and I apologize fir confusing everything. I am going with the Eflite B400, then to the T-Rex and after that, I'll see what's out there. I'd love a mini-titan but its a tad pricey.. (well they all are i guess) ANYWAY, I want to thank you all for the excellent advice and help! It has been invauable inmy choices!

Hope to see you in the air!
Weirdone