Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

flight simulator question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

flight simulator question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:16 AM
nofish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flight simulator question

New to the board and helicopter flying.
I purchased E-flite Blade CX2 last week to learn how to fly heli. I like to eventually move up to larger heli like Raptor 30 or T-Rex 450. I'm not sure if I'll stay with electric or nitro.
I'm thinking about purchasing flight simulator, flying heli is not as easy as I thought! Any suggestions on flight simulator? The local hobby shop said G4 is the best. Thanks
Old 09-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Magic Hook

Default RE: flight simulator question

The G4 is great, very realistic. BE SURE your comupter will run it, not all will. Check the website for whats required. My laptop runs it but have to stick to the photo fields. Most dont realize that the CX2 while fun, is not a trainer for a Raptor or any other heli with collective pitch. Sounds like you are on the right track though, have fun.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are going to concentrate on Helis, I actually recommend the RealFlight 3.5. If you fly a Futaba or JR radio, the switches ont he 3.5 are in better locations. If you end up buying the Phoenix simulator, you fly with your own transmitter and not use a dummy box.

Rafael
Old 09-18-2008, 01:47 PM
nofish

Thank you for your replies. I'm still struggling to get CX2 to hover so flight simulator is a definate YES. Since I am only interested in helicopters, I will look into G3.5. What are the advantages of electric helicopter vs nitro? Why would one choose TREX 500 vs Raptor 30V2 or vise versa?
Old 09-18-2008, 02:35 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts

Depends on what support equipment you already own, what type of flying site you have (is noise a concern) among other things.

Electrics are fun by nitros are fuel and fly till your reciever battery is shot, electric is one and charge and spare batteries for a 500 or 600 size heli can ding the wallet. Just depends if you want to buy all your fuel up front or pay as you go.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:02 PM
nofish

I guess other than the noise and battery limitations, there are no mechanical or power advantage. I don't have anything other than air plane tote, electric fuel pump, and a starter. Besides already having few equipment, I'm leaning towards nitro simply for longer flying time per outing.