Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Off the deep end

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Willys Mowing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off the deep end

Ok, very new to this forum, and saying hello.

I bought a HBKV2 with the intent of chasing seagulls off the roof of our house. Yes I realize that the helicopter is not rated for beginners. Yet I figure with a good gyro and some good hands on it should not be too bad. LOL

So far my hovering is enough to get a half inch off the living room floor before it starts to careen in a direction contrary to input. I realize there is alot to learn.

To those of you whom are wondering, yes I did bother to get the free simulator off the net to get some practice. One thing I did notice on the program was that the program does not recognize correct inputs. IE it assumes that everything will fly in a bowl fashion (swings around like in a bowl). Also it doesnt recognize all the inputs from my Esky radio. Program name Flight Model Simulator (freeware)

I did browse the list of members to find people in my area to help me, asuming they still use that email.

So my problem really boils down to the info from youtube and others of knowledge that can be confusing to well "oh my gawd".

My heli when starting up has desire to pull back regardless of trim (yes it is balanced with slight nose forward). Yes all trims were neutral when radio was turned on.

When I start flying it I try to set it up to be pointing away from me. IE the tail is closest to me and canopy further away. I am taking off from a shag rug, as the kitchen floor makes it too hard to shut down quick enough. LOL Yes I do have the landing gear.

Another problem I encountered was the setup of the tail rotor. The manual suggests that with the servo at neutral, the tail rotor linkage should be set to 1/3 of travel area on left (looking down over helicopter with body pointing directly away from me). The way I found to adjust the position of the cross shaft was to slip the servo on the tail boom till my heli appeared to match the image. Take off was even more disastorous. LOL

So what should I look for?
Old 01-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Bugzilla

Default RE: Off the deep end

OK, first that is not an indoor heli, especially in the hands of a beginner. Second, check out Finless Bob's setup videos over on helifreak.com. He uses a different heli in the videos, but the same principals apply. Oh, check out Radd's School of Rotory Flight and follow it to the letter after you get it set up. Follow it to the letter and you'll be flying in no time.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:35 AM
bad400

seriously no rtf heli is really ready to fly, there are a few things to do first
1) set throttle hold and run left stick half way check if the swashplate is level
2)if its not make adjustments to the linkage not the tx
3)honestly you want a slight tilte to the swashplate looking at the heli from the back you want the right and front part of the swashplate

to be
a little lower this compensates for the torge of the blades which will give you a striaghter lift off
try this and watch sokals or the other guys youtube vid`s they will help out alot
Old 01-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Willys Mowing

ORIGINAL: Bugzilla

OK, first that is not an indoor heli
LOL not according to Youtube

Second, check out Finless Bob's setup videos over on helifreak.com
care to link them? went to the rcuvideo area and didnot see what you mentioned.

As to taking long time? Grin, I dont mind.
-
to Bad400 yep swash plate is right where its supposed to be.

will check on the tilt to the right and front.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Willys Mowing

OK, first that is not an indoor heli
LOL not according to Youtube
That teaches you the first lesson of youtube and RC. Not everything that you see is entirely true.

Second, check out Finless Bob's setup videos over on helifreak.com
care to link them? went to the rcuvideo area and didnot see what you mentioned.

As to taking long time? Grin, I dont mind.
-
to Bad400 yep swash plate is right where its supposed to be.

will check on the tilt to the right and front.

How did you find this website? Google?

There is life outside of RCUniverse. I suggest that you google: RCGroups, RunRyder, Helifreak, and others that the server here does not even let me type in. You can also Google Finless Setup videos.

Rafael
Old 01-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Henry Bowman
My Feedback: (2)

He did NOT refer to videos on RCU. Linking to another website from this one about heli's is generally discouraged. The site to look for is helifreak.com and look for the Finless Bob videos. There are a BUNCH showing proper set up. As mentioned, the helicopter may not be the same type but the principles are the same.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:02 PM
rcjon

>> I bought a HBKV2 with the intent of chasing seagulls off the roof of our house.<<

A shotgun has a slightly less steep learning curve.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:47 AM
Bugzilla

A good pellet rifle will do the job, and not cost nearly as much. Plus you have the satisfaction of shooting stuff!
Old 01-11-2009, 02:25 AM
Druss

A good pellet rifle will do the job, and not cost nearly as much. Plus you have the satisfaction of shooting stuff!
the seaguls thing was probably just an excuse...

Willys:
considering one guy just got his but reamed for starting up a heli when knowing there was something wrong with it... with his kid right beside him I suggest the OP listen to the guys on here when we say the heli is NOT for indoors... especially in the hands of a new flyer. I DON'T fly my single rotor helis indoors, that's why I have a co-axial... and if you believe everything on youtube then you need a reality check...

oh.. when you say the swashplate is good do you even know what the guy asked about it being level? did you use a leveler?
Old 01-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Willys Mowing

I am a machinist by trade. Your crude leveler has no comparison to some of my inspection equipment. Yes it is level with in 0.0001" if you want to know.

LOL like the shotgun idea, yet the wife likes seeing me concerned more. Plus the shot gun may be more detrimental than the seagull droppings. lol Hmmm pelet rifle, tried bb gun and they just pooped on the roof instead.

Reality check???? Whats that? Grin teasing, all I am saying is that your view, my view are not the ultimate answer to life in general. Every one has their own views. Yet it seems some of the above posters have seniority here enough they dont bother to read/obey the first line of RCU policies "Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post." While some of us practice in a manner that is unorthodox, just remember, we are practicing only. I am well aware of ground effect and when it isnt 20 below outside I will certainly consider chasing the mosquitos instead of the dustkittys. LOL

I am not offended just concerned with some. I dont hold it against you nor will I, just ask that you respect me, and I you. Thanx

Oh, and to beginner? beginner to helicopter only
Old 01-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Bugzilla

Nothing else in the RC world will prepare you or give you the skills for flying a heli, other than a heli. When you get after the Gulls with a heli, what happens when you get the dumb one that flies into the heli instead of away, or an errant gust of wind catches it and puts into the roof, then you have an expensive fix. Eventually they will get used to the noise and having the heli fly near them, and they will either ignore it all together, or fly a short distance and come right back. A good pellet rifle with hunting pellets, and by good I mean at least 850 FPS, will do the trick. You just need to be able to actually hit them. I don't know what they are called, but there are bird deterent spike strip things you can get that covers the roof peak and any edges where birds normally sit. Neither way is as much fun, but will cost less in the long run, and are much safer.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:04 PM
bad400

not to stop your fun with shuting seagulls but if you get cought its a 10,000 dollar fine.trust me i found this out the hard way, why on earth a seagull would be protected i have no idea but it is. when i worked at a ship yard the stupid things would fly down and snag your sandwich right out your hand.so we started feeding the alkaselzer. they would fly off and explode,well here comes the fuzz,boom big fine for killing a nasty ole bird.its not worth it
Old 01-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Willys Mowing

Grin, when you are married, and the wife suggests something, do you tell her that she is wrong?

I have found to embrace anytime she encourages me to explore new ideas.

Chasing a seagull is only her idea that she will forget soon. Yet some day when I am proficient enough I may consider a heli cam. Lord knows the tourists here have other ideas of what needs to be photographed.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:42 PM
dude7422

hi willy seagulls are a marine mamals and protected birds in usa.
you can get a fine if you kill one .even if it flys into your car in a
parking lot darmm (peta)[8D] peta dont those people have anything
better to do like fly a rc heli lol
Old 01-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Bugzilla

I'm a member of P.E.T.A.-People Eating Tasty Animals!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Willys Mowing

OK reality check here. I do not now nor have I ever had any intent of using a model helicopter to harm, disturb, chase, or any other means of damage to seaguls. It is far easier to look like a geek running across the driveway hopping and flapping arms. For some reason it is too strange for the seagulls to enjoy and so they take to flight.

Grin, the wife only said what she did as she knew that as frugal as I am with the house expenses that I need a excuse to once in a while to enjoy something other than how many potatoes we need to buy this week, and wether the furnace has been running too long.

No need to call Suzanne Sommers (the local lobster saviour) about some nut that has a neighbor that leaves shellfish on the ground. Of which encourages sea birds to roost on my home or garage. Although she is welcome to come by and have some coffee on our freezing porch.
-

that being said, I encourage you to feel the need for more interesting ideas. Lord knows we all have good imaginations.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Bugzilla

I bought a HBKV2 with the intent of chasing seagulls off the roof of our house.
OK reality check here. I do not now nor have I ever had any intent of using a model helicopter to harm, disturb, chase, or any other means of damage to seaguls.
Contradiction alert!
Old 01-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: Willys Mowing

I am a machinist by trade. Your crude leveler has no comparison to some of my inspection equipment. Yes it is level with in 0.0001" if you want to know.

I am not offended just concerned with some. I dont hold it against you nor will I, just ask that you respect me, and I you. Thanx

Oh, and to beginner? beginner to helicopter only
Since you never stated whether you had leveled the swash after someone asked you is why the question on the leveler. Sorry but using a piece of inspection equipment like you may have to level the heli swashplate is as overkill as.... using an rc heli to chase seagulls away.

Maybe if you reread your first post you'll see why some people came down on you like you don't know what you're doing. Come on here with a good question about a problem and you'll get tons of help. Come on here with stories of wanting to chase seagulls and starting up your heli indoors and you'll get slammed. If someone talks like an idiot you don't treat him like a genius.

As I've always said, respect is earned not given. I respect ideas, I respect religion, I respect individuality and I even respect a lot of concepts without prejudice... people on the other hand need to show they deserve the respect they get. Anything given without having earned it first is not "respected".

I may be short with my answers or questions but really, it's all in the way you read it. The following was a question, don`t put emotions into text.

oh.. when you say the swashplate is good do you even know what the guy asked about it being level? did you use a leveler?
Old 01-13-2009, 12:25 AM
Willys Mowing

The only problem with a leveler or any inspection equipment is the point of relativity to which you are measuring. A hand held tool that has no way to interact other than some one trying to guide with its hands is not a valid way to establish the value of zero. It is a valid way to get a eroneous error thus giving some the wrong impression. IE if the table is askew, and you level the swash plate, what have you done?

Yes, the swashplate is level. Or at least it is level to the table from which the swashplate was measured. Also the swash plate is at true 90 degree angle in relation to the main shaft.

After reading more on this website, there are many more variables that I will need to look into. Also I have found some hobbyists in this area that have volunteered to try to fly/crash my bird. Hopefully not the crash part.

I thank you all in your wonderful banter, even those whom see the grammatical errors.

Granted in any hobby there will be those whom are gruff, and those whom are not. I try to be the not. Doesnt always work, but I try.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:52 AM
tdmoss61

i am new to helis also, but i believe that once you get to use a swashplate leveler you will see what he is saying. the leveler is fixed vertically on the main shaft and has three points that match up with the three points on the swash (120 degrees). with a proper mechanical setup, servo horns being at 90 degrees, or as close as you can get them, and the linkage rods the proper length, you just adjust the subtrim until all three points touch, simple. so even if the table was tilted 45 degrees, the swash would still be level as long as the skids are on the table. of course setting up the rest of the head, you may have to come back and shorten or lenghten the links, but its all about 0 pitch...........

trex 450, trex 500, stinger 90..............get busy livin or get busy dyin, damn right!.......shawshank redemption....
Old 01-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[link=http://runryder.com/helicopter/t410707p1/?top=1231855485]The best swashplate leveler ever invented.....[/link]

Once you understand how it works, you can make it work...... No fancy tools needed or fancy explanantions...

Rafael
Old 01-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Willys Mowing

interesting concept using a allen wrench. Thankyou for your input
Old 01-15-2009, 05:15 PM
dude7422

Nothing else in the RC world will prepare you or give you the skills for flying a heli, other than a heli. When you get after the Gulls with a heli, what happens when you get the dumb one that flies into the heli instead of away, or an errant gust of wind catches it and puts into the roof, then you have an expensive fix. Eventually they will get used to the noise and having the heli fly near them, and they will either ignore it all together, or fly a short distance and come right back. A good pellet rifle with hunting pellets, and by good I mean at least 850 FPS, will do the trick. You just need to be able to actually hit them. I don't know what they are called, but there are bird deterent spike strip things you can get that covers the roof peak and any edges where birds normally sit. Neither way is as much fun, but will cost less in the long run, and are much safer.

bugzilla and wild willy a 850fps pellet gun /air rifle will give him a leaky roof
even if he hits the bird pellet will go rite through the bird
i say try a paint ball gun fixed to the heli and use the 7th ch. hehehehe just a bad joke
Old 01-16-2009, 10:25 AM
groundparrot

It might be best if you did not get the seagulls angry.
You seen what they did to the airliner up north.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:42 AM
bad400

um if your talking about the new york flight that ended up in the hudson, those birds that tried flying threw the motor where GEESE not seagull`s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.