Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Should I give this hobby a chance?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Should I give this hobby a chance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 03:52 PM
dporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I give this hobby a chance?

MrCoffee, let me see if I understand your original post. You have diagnosed medical conditions and are taking medications which alter your mental state, yet you are upset that the FAA and medical examiners are doing their jobs to keep flying as safe as possible by reducing the potential for mishaps.

As a full scale pilot, I don't want anyone in the air with me whose judgement and decision making ability may be compromised for any reason.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:29 AM
MrCoffee-RCU

Well then, dporter, you don't want to see me hanging around your airport or fixing somebody's airplane, with or without that certificate, would you. A terrorist can still easily get a license to repair full-scale aircraft, by the way. They don't even need an FAA medical! Make sure you set up them fences! I'm pretty sure you would want model airplanes regulated too, to keep them away from people you don't trust (me, for example). Not to mention helicopters, sailplanes, boats, cars.... (I could go on here)

But, the fact is I still have all my constitutional rights. I have implied no threats here, but did state some opinions of beaurocrats. I have a clean background. Although it's meaningless, I even have the right to "vote" in this country. But why bother with that when New Zealanders have more freedom then U.S. citizens?

MrCoffee
Old 07-03-2003, 09:50 AM
scott36
My Feedback: (54)

Mr-coffe you first posted if you should give this hobby a chance.
i replyed to your post with HELL YA..
for the most all you did is come here to rant and rave about the beaurocrates thru out the all your replys...
i think thats all you wanted to do any way.

NOW did you OR are you going to give this hobby a chance,because there are other places to go and piss and moan about the beaurocats.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:30 AM
Vortexgen

in the true spirit of the ANZAC, I must express my discontent with the comparison made between kiwis and seppos.

(the new zealand statement for those secluded individuals - i know the poms will get a laugh out of this - LOL)
Old 07-03-2003, 10:58 AM
MrCoffee-RCU

I do have some fairly strong political opinions, granted Scott. Unfortunately, I am not the most well versed in the social arena. I was essentially responding to an individual who would not trust me as a passenger in a full-scale aircraft.

As for the hobby. Yes, I am still considering it. I will investigate it further, and may become a participant if I have the available funds and am able to establish a social network in the R/C community. A necessary first step for me would be to see how full-scale pilots who fly R/C would react to someone who is not considered as "medically qualified" by the FAA. Unfortunately, I am on that list for the time being.

Apparently, I may not have the necessary social skills to become a participant model aviation. Flying C/L was a pleasure, but I was forced to sell my equipment when the club decided they did not want me to join them. Some might not consider that as fair. However, those are the breaks and you move on. I think it would be better to do a bit of research, before investing $700.00 in a rig that I may not have use for after losing a club membership. The sim would be pointless as well. There is no reason for me to step into a group or place where I am not welcome.

On the other hand, good support and trust from others would help to ensure success in the hobby. For now, I might forgo any moves, at least until I am able to establish a better relationship with General Aviation. And I'm afraid that will probably make it necessary for a CFI to trust me well enough to go up with him, and for a doctor to certify me with that medical after I finish with the medications.

MrCoffee
Old 07-03-2003, 01:52 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

MrCoffee, I think you missunderstood what he said about you in a plane. I don't think he was saying he wouldn't want you as a passenger, he said he didn't want someone in another plane that might have a judgement problem or decision problem.

I am wondering why the club didn't want you to fly with them. You pose no threat to them. There are a lot of snobbish clubs out there. If you found one of those, you should look at others. I wouldn't quit something I wanted to do because there were idiots involved in it. I have to deal with that in every aspect of life and I tend not to walk away. If they act like jerks, I put it back on them and they tend to walk away, and then we have fun doing what we set out to do.

The attitude as mentioned before could be hurting you. It sounds like you feel sorry for yourself and blame everyone else. Just the way it comes across to me. You should think more positively about yourself and forget what others think. It is none of their damn business.

Enjoy what you do and make the best of it. Life is too short to deal with the negatives.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:47 PM
Hotwings

Why would you tell the r/c club members that you have a medical problem? it's not going to affect them in any way unless you are contagious or have USPS syndrome. in that case stay away from me. i am a cfii mei atp pilot and i can say i've flown with a lot of pilots with medical problems and it has never been a problem (if you leave out the guy that had a heart attack in the plane & he survived). I don't understand anything that you have said so far as far as flying full scale goes. if you can't get a medical and want to fly, pay some one to fly with you, a commercial pilot can fly with you for pay, doesn't have to be a cfi. i fly for probably 8 guys that own a/c and can't fly alone. Ron
Old 07-04-2003, 12:37 AM
MrCoffee-RCU

That does sound very encouraging, Hotwings. In fact, I will consider that when I am able and willing.

Thanks for your suggestion!

MrCoffee
Old 07-04-2003, 10:48 AM
Rawlie

Mr Coffee

Seeing as everyone else has added their opinion, I though I would as well Although I have no real understanding of your condition, my personal opinion is that as long as:

- you hand eye coordination is not severely affected, and
- there is no significant risk of you losing consciousness while flying,

I don't see any good reason why you should not get involved with R/C helicopters.

You mention that you are in a wheelchair. All you need is a buddy to help you carry the helicopter, start the helicopter, maybe tweak it here or there on the field etc. Whether or not you are wheelchair bound its a good idea to go flying with someone.

One thing I would be careful of: When I was learning how to hover, I was so crap I nearly flew the helicopter into myself and I literally had to run out of the way Obviously you would not be in a position to escape as quickly if the same thing happened to you.

So I would suggest that either you leave more space between yourself and the helicopter before flying, or that you have a fence or something similar between you and the heli for safety.

Whichever way you decide MrCoffee, at least now after all these posts you have done your homework.

Good luck either way!
Old 07-04-2003, 11:11 AM
MrCoffee-RCU

Well, Rawlie.. I'm not wheelchair bound, thankfully. Most of my neurological trouble affects facial expression, unfortunately. I have an extremely difficult time when I look serious, although I'm actually not for example. Then, it goes down to the having enough coordination to play basketball, baseball, football, etc. Either way you slice it, it ain't no fun to live with! And people misjudge me every where I go.

There is no problem walking, sitting, standing, manipulating controls on a piece of machinery, or driving a car or bus for that matter. My concentration, when operating any piece of equipment, are not affected by my disorder. On the other hand, I certainly wouldn't want to challenge you to a game of Quake, because I would lose every time!

Feel free to check out a web site I set up for Autism: www.autistichat.net. There is some information about Aspergers disorder there. Take care, and your advice is appreciated.

MrCoffee
Old 07-04-2003, 11:48 AM
Rawlie

Hey MrCoffee

Thanks for the link - I will go and check it out when work cools down .... Sorry if I came across sounding a bit ignorant.

Well, based on what you have said I must say that if I were you, and I wanted to fly R/C heli's, I would!

Best of luck
Rawlie

PS: Have you decided on any specific models that you like?
Old 07-11-2003, 01:35 PM
buddykitchen

I dunno... after reading some of MrCoffee's posts, it seems like he has a lot of anger management issues to take care of. With regards to burocracy, if you have a beef, take it up with your congressman. Rules exist for a reason - in this case, to establish a certain level of physical and mental fitness to engage in a potentially dangerous occupation. With regards to model aviation - if you want to do it, then by all means, indulge yourself! But if you think that it will somehow make up for all of your bitterness toward full-scale aviation, I'm afraid that you're going to be disappointed. Get involved in a hobby because it brings you pleasure, not as a means of revenge.

Personally, if you were at my local flying field, I wouldn't feel comfortable flying with you; not because of your condition, but because of your attitude. You seem to have an enormous chip on your shoulder, and that alone is what makes you dangerous. I don't care about autism or bipolar disorder or depression or even a bad case of athlete's foot; what I do care about is people with an axe to grind and a belief that the world owes them something.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:01 PM
FLYBOY

Originally posted by buddykitchen
I don't care about autism or bipolar disorder or depression or even a bad case of athlete's foot; what I do care about is people with an axe to grind and a belief that the world owes them something.
Very well put! Not just related to this post, but many others as well.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:35 AM
MrCoffee-RCU

Well, it obviously doesn't look like I have any redeeming qualities as far as the hobby goes. By now, this thread has tainted me as if I were convicted of a crime or something. So for that reason, I might just as well give up.

MrCoffee
Old 07-14-2003, 04:08 AM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

Mr Coffee,
Its just obvious you have a bad attitude / outlook. People have said Many positive things in this thread, and have given some great advice as well as their time but you just seem to ignore them or shoot them down. We ALL have problems, one kind or another, or a disability in one way or another, and we all deal with them. Some people I guess better than others. Everyone has the redeeming qualities for this hobby, well it does take a great deal of patience . Its your attitude & outlook on life that guides those qualities, and makes them what they are. Your original question has been answered long ago. I think its time to end this string. Just my .02
Joe
Old 07-14-2003, 04:28 AM
MrCoffee-RCU

Well, since I'm already branded as a "person with a bad attitude" I'll accept that. So just go on ahead and consider me as the pariah of RCUniverse. I don't care.

MrCoffee
Old 07-14-2003, 05:14 AM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Mr. Coffee,

Everyone who flys does so because it is a pleasant distraction, some like fishing, some shoot pool, some fly kites, some take yoga, some race cars.... there are a million hobbies out there, they all exist for one reason, a chance to escape from the day to day cares of life. Like all the rest of us, you need that. So shut up and get yourself a plane, glider, chopper, golfclubs ... what ever interests you, and enjoy. Don't hold on to false hopes that The FAA or anyone else for that matter is going to be impressed. RC is a geeky thing to do. Nobody is going to be impressed. Its just you a plane and the sky. Nothing more, but nothing less either.

like buddy said, Life really doesn't owe you anything, but you owe it to yourself to make the best of it. Stop being your own worst enemy and get on with it.

As for feeling tainted, yup, but you can change your name, and try again. Another chance to develop some social skills is just a few keystrokes away.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:47 AM
MrCoffee-RCU

Thanks, Spiff. I found a heli kit for around $500.00 at a hobby shop in Minneapolis. It will take about three months for me to save up for it, but I think it's worth while. I have a club membership in the works, as well. Total cost of joining the club will be $100.00, plus AMA, which will amount to $50.00.

Please bear in mind, that it will take time for me to save up these funds. I may question about building from time-to-time. This is so that I can get some knowledge before I jump into the project. All of the positive responses from the group are appreciated and welcomed. Thanks.

MrCoffee
Old 07-14-2003, 09:42 AM
bobfox

Bye Bye
Old 07-14-2003, 11:35 AM
buddykitchen

See Mr. Coffe, that's what I'm talking about. Now that you can't elicit the kind of gushing sympathy that you were looking for, you want to play the role of the martyr and say that, "Oh woe is me, I must not have any redeeming qualities. You all have tainted me. I'm going to take my ball and go home." That's exactly what I'm talking about.

You can overcome whatever physical obstacles are placed in front of you. There are too many examples of people with far greater infirmiries than you who have managed to accomplish great things with their lives. (Steven Hawking, Helen Keller, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Stevie Wonder, my own mother, I could go on for ages...) Maybe your condition will keep you from flying a plane... BIG DEAL . Is it the end of the world because you can't pilot a full-size aircraft? I couldn't enlist in the Air Force and fly F-16s because of certain obstacles in my path, but that doesn't mean that the whole world is against me. The world is replete with possibilities of things you could do and excel at, but you do have one serious affliction - your attitude. Your a bitter man with an axe to grind, and until you find out how to fix that, you will continue to be stagnant and bitter in your life, and you will have no success and joy in any pursuit, be it model aviation, tiddlywinks, or popsicle stick collecting.

The moral of the story, Mr. Coffee, is that the only person who can truly stop you from doing anything is you . I would love to see you find a pursuit that you enjoy, and allow other people to take advantage of your knowlege. But from where I sit, you have a far more serious condition than that which kept you from getting FAA certification.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:18 PM
randy41

Gee guys: Your a little hard on MrCoffee in my opinion.
I am glad i haven't told any one my problems on this forum. LOL

MrCoffee: I wish you well in life. Save that money and buy a heli
and enjoy this hobby if you decide to do so.

Good luck into the future.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:24 PM
Spaceman Spiff

Feel free to start a new thread about that Heli kit you are looking at. I'm sure it will go better than this thread did.

Best of luck to ya,
Old 07-14-2003, 02:47 PM
FLYBOY

Originally posted by MrCoffee
Thanks, Spiff. I found a heli kit for around $500.00 at a hobby shop in Minneapolis. It will take about three months for me to save up for it, but I think it's worth while. I have a club membership in the works, as well. Total cost of joining the club will be $100.00, plus AMA, which will amount to $50.00.

MrCoffee
What kit is it? What kind of radio are you looking at?

I have flown full scale with a person who suffers the same thing you do. He didn't let it affect him and although there were times it got to him, he elected not to get into the plane when in that mood.

Figure out what you want in life, quit thinking people are branding you and realize that most of them only care about themselves and don't even think of you. Noone is going to do it for you so get out there and make it happen for yourself.

Glad to see you found a heli you are interested in. Feel free to ask for help and if you need info on kits and help finding deals on them, we are all here to help.

Don't be afraid to ask.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:22 PM
MrCoffee-RCU

I'm not sure of the radio, Flyboy. I will look at the kit, and see. There is a certain type of radio out there that affords a person better control of the heli. For example, the operator doesn't have to constantly control the tail rotor, as the radio will blend the tail rotor action against the torque of the blades automaticly. I may opt for that type of system. What features should I look for, and what brand is best for a radio?

Buddykitchen: I'll just buy an ultralight. The FAA can't stop me from flying that category. Like Flyboy said, I will make it happen for myself. By the time I finish my wallet full of ATFE permits and government licenses, I doubt anybody would be able to raise a finger about my "condition". In fact, I just cleared a federal background check, so the ATFE license for rocketry and/or pyrotechnics (fireworks) is next.

MrCoffee
Old 07-14-2003, 04:20 PM
Spaceman Spiff

Forget the fancy radio, the mixing for tail rotor was helpfull for a time, but now that good heading hold gyros are available, the mixes are not needed, in fact they can not be used with heading hold gyro's. Be sure to get a Futaba GY401 and the digital servo that comes as a pacakge deal, they work fantastic. There are cheaper gyros available but they don't work as well as the futaba 401. Spend the money on the 401. you won't regret it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.