Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

HELP for old man and a heli

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

HELP for old man and a heli

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Americomidwest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP for old man and a heli

any one know where a person on social security can get a big discount on a good heli like the blade 400? i have very low income and love to fly. a friend loaned me a cx/2 and boy am i hooked. thanks for taking a look at this.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:05 PM
bad400

Default RE: HELP for old man and a heli

you can check ebay
or your local hobby shop
i bought mine for 389 bucks rtf at my local hobby shop
Old 02-05-2009, 07:40 AM
Americomidwest

thanks for the reply but local hobby shop still wants $469.95 and that would be almost half my income. i have looked at e-bay and got a dragonfly 22d but it won't stop spinning so i can take off the ground. went to all kinds of forums to figure it out, made all adjustments and it got up 3 feet and leaned right then hard crash. can't find parts to fix it and don't trust it even if i did fix it. looked at alot of forums and lots are happy with the blade 400 3d so i want to find a good one i can afford. i will try to find a used one and keep pressing my nose on the glass at the hobby shop so maby he will discount one to off set the window cleaning cost...

thanks again
Dwain

"I Just Want To Fly"
Old 02-05-2009, 08:19 AM
wiggles08

Not questioning your heli experience or R.C. experience, but if you have never flown a collective pitch helicopter, I would stick with the CX2 until you not just get your feet wet but until you're almost waist deep. Its addicting but you'll spend more on repairing parts for a cp heli than you would if you learn on a coaxial.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:22 AM
noobflyer01

its going to be difficult to find a blade400 rtf at a discount price. their price is regulated by eflight. try the used heli for sale sections on forums and you can get a better deal. even on ebay its hard to find a used one, most of their listing is for new ones.

have you looked at something cheaper like the honeybee fixed pitch. its under $100 and can get you started. parts are cheap as well.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:13 AM
Americomidwest

the cx/2 came to me a year ago and being retired i have lots of time to fly. i was forced to retire due to being disabled so not to go stir crazy i went looking for something to do. i took the cx/2 to a gym and started to try it out. now one year later i have out grown it and looking to try new birds. i know a guy that has a t-rex 450 and he let me try it. got off the ground and no crash... i don't feel good about fling his rex so i will try to buy my own. i would feel better if i crash it and not his. he said i am a natural born heli pilot. sence i have heart problems i can't afford to crash cause it would be too far to walk to pick up the parts.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:36 AM
bad400

well id say if you like to drive you could come up to our lhs and get the blade 400 for 389 dollars

why dont you look at the esky belt cp2, its under 300 buck`s and there seems to be alot of people who like it

i hear the head is a little bet of a pain to repair
but they say it fly`s rather nice

im looking at one myself, just want another 450 class heli to keep my blade 400 company
Old 02-05-2009, 02:20 PM
ForumLion

I'm also trying to work out which heli to start off with and I have been reading about [link=http://www.radiocontrolledonline.com/index.php?cPath=1]radio controlled helicopters[/link] and they seem to think that the Sky Shadow 3Ch is a good one to start with.

Does anyone out there know about this one and would they agree that its a good heli to start with?
Old 02-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Bugzilla

No way dude. If I HAD to choose from the ones on that page, I'd go with the Walkera. Personally your better off finding an ESky Lama V4, or a Blade MCX. May cost more, but the quality over the ones you linked is no comparison.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:42 AM
hoverhobbies

Hi,

Just reading through and thought I had some input for you. Being you're on a very fixed budget and have the sickness to fly ;-) you may want to consider:

1. As you know the odds of you crashing is 100%. With experience and skill you can only limit the amount of crashes, but the sad fact remains you will crash, we all do.
2. If you need to fly a collective pitch, start with a simulator. This will save you $$$ in repairs as these go into the dirt hard and are require a little more knowledge to set up. There are a few free ones out there. I use realflight which is about $179 and every time I crash I hit the red button to repair (restart) ;-)

Do you have enough experience to get a job at the local hobby shop? They may offer employee discounts which could help. Plus fixing other peoples stuff increases your build skills 10 fold.

Hope this helps.

Hoverhobbies.com
Old 02-06-2009, 10:59 AM
manuel m

Try craigslist
Old 02-06-2009, 02:50 PM
groundparrot

http://helirc.org/article/cheap450part1.pdf
http://helirc.org/article/cheap450part2.pdf
Old 02-06-2009, 07:29 PM
mediclavina

ORIGINAL: Americomidwest
any one know where a person on social security can get a big discount on a good heli like the blade 400? i have very low income and love to fly. a friend loaned me a cx/2 and boy am i hooked. thanks for taking a look at this.
Sir,

I think you should check out the Hirobo SRB Quark. It's so easy to fly and cost of repair after a typical crash is very cheap. The last thing a person on budget wants is costly repair on crashes. The fact is, everybody will crash (eventually).

Unlike other *Ready-to-Fly* helicopters, it doesn't need any fixing nor upgrade to make it fly. And, unlike the bigger helis which gather dusts during winter, the small but stable Quark can be flown indoors. It's also safe around furnitures (and even people) in the house.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Bugzilla

Hirobo is good quality, but they are overpriced IMO. Get a Honey Bee Fixed Pitch, cheap to buy, cheap to fix, tough, small enough for indoors in a garage or large room, should be easy enough for you to get the hang of after the cx2, and challenging enough to give you a solid basis for CP helis should you decide to go that route later on.