Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Toolkit help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 11:22 AM
CrashMeister
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toolkit help needed.

I have a Flasher 450 arriving soon. I have the servos, gyro, radio etc, but I want to know what tools are needed to build and maintain the heli.

Here is what I have in my shopping cart so far:

1. Ball link pliers.
2. Calipers.
3. Metric hex drivers - 1.5, 2, 2.5 and 3mm.
4. Metric nut drivers - 2.5 to 6mm in .5mm increments.
5. Pitch and paddle guage.
6. Watt meter.

I have the usual assortment of general tools so I am looking at what is specific to a heli.

Thanks,
Craig.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:40 AM
F.O.R.D.-Doctor

Default RE: Toolkit help needed.

CrashMeister,
How about a "ball link sizing tool" , a "needle" oiler" and blue "locktite".
Regards
Old 06-08-2009, 02:02 PM
CrashMeister

I have a syringe and needle I can use for oil. I already have locktite.

Can calipers be used as a ball link sizing tool or do I need a special tool for that. If so, what is recommended, are are they all pretty much alike ?

Old 06-08-2009, 04:04 PM
F.O.R.D.-Doctor

CrashMeister,
Good, on the locktite ( only use blue)and syringe ( any tool that will allow you to occasionally apply a drop or two of oil to the main rotor shafton top ofthe swashplate andwashout and also the tail rotor shaft on either side of the pitch yolk.Note: it's a good idea touse a very small amount of licktite on anyscrew or bolt that attaches toanother metal part. Do not use locktite on any plastic connection pointsA "ball link sizing tool" is a tool that allows you to properly size the link to allow free movement on the ball. Most, but not all, ball links will go on properly from only one side of the link. Generally there is a smaller hole on one side as compared to the other side. The larger link hole will be the side that you press onto the ball.Most of the timeyou will find thatnew links will be tight to move on the ball. So the "sizer "(once the link is pressed onto it)reams(removes) a small amount of material and allows"free" movement. A "sizer" will have a "ball " withsome type and shape of handle to allow you to spin the sizer while rotating itin the link to free it up. Also most links will have some type of mark ( a number or letter ) to indicate that this is the side of the link that will face out when the link is pressed onto the ball.As a test, take a link and test the holes on a ball to determine the larger and smaller hole.Some people suggest puting the link onto a ball and squeezing the link with pliers to "size" the link. I do not recommend this method.Calipers will allow you to obtain the proper and consistant length when assembling link rods and whenyou need several links the same length.
I hope this is of some small help.
Regards
Old 06-08-2009, 05:14 PM
CrashMeister

Thanks. I have added a sizing tool to my shopping cart.

The Flasher arrived today, so I'll be placing my order this evening.

Craig.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:38 AM
dude7422

how about a blade balancer tool align has one for 3.99
http://www.readyheli.com/K10289A_Mai..._p/k10289a.htm
i say go easy with the loc tite or skip using it you will have to take this heli apart many times
Old 06-10-2009, 02:50 PM
dude7422

dont for get the most important    TRAINING GEAR  if your new to heli