Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

What do I want???? :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:30 PM
gagallagher04401
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I want???? :)

Hi

My name is George, 27 from Maine.

I have always been into RC alot of land vehicles, and have a couple of electric brushless planes.

I have a couple of mini/ micro 3-channel heli's (hong kong specials) LOL I fly around the house.

I also have FMS flight sim I use.

I had a 4-channel, walkera 5 #10 metal co-axial heli. I like the heli, looked good, all metal was nice, and 2.4 ghz. I could fly it pretty good, but battery died only after maybe 5min if I was lucky, put new motors in it, would not hover higher then 8 inches above the floor. For my first heli I was rather dissapointed, and worried all helicopters are this way unless I am paying out ALOT of money.

Well.. I sold it got my money back and stuck to my cheapy micro 3-channel toy helis.

I am looking to get a heli again, I do not want to spend ton of money. I want something that will fly nicely. I want to be able able to fly it outside on calm days. A big thing to me is flight time. I would like to get a good amount of flight time, I want to have the POWER there if I so choose to use it LOL
I would like to be able to utilize my lipo's I use in my planes, but I doubt I will be able to. (rhino 11.1V 1800mah 3S lipos) Could I get a heli that could use the lipo's I have already?

Also blade slapping with co-axials is there any better models that will have "less" or less chances of it happening or a heli it can be fixed on?

Well I hoping you can point to me to some options to help me make a good choice. There is so many, and I want to make the best choice I can.

MY LIST OF CRITERIA.....
co-axial???
good flight times (would like to use my lipos i have (rhino 11.1V 1550mah 3S lipos)
can be flown out doors when calm
durable
spare parts a must/(upgrade parts availability possably?)
good looking
not to pricey
FUN!!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read through all this.

Thanks again
Take care
George
Old 12-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Sciloh

Default RE: What do I want???? :)

From all the research I did before I bought my Heli, It all depends on what you wanna do and budget. I came from flying 3 ch. micro helis as well and even though I got a 400 size collective pitch heli as a gift. I haven't flewn it yet. I orderen an Exceed Falcon 40 V2 Fixed Pitch heli as my maiden flight. I flewn my friends coax a few times and single rotor helis are a totally a different beast on its own. If your planning on going big in the future (like a 450 and up). I'd recommend a fixed pitch heli, and if you want to fly outside, the bigger it is.....the more stable it will be.

hope that helps
Old 12-01-2009, 09:57 PM
gagallagher04401

Thanks
I do not plane on going BIG, as you say.

I want to fly around outside, something with awesome flight times, utilize the batteries I already have if that is possable(from first post), something popluar enough to have spare parts, Look good, and be fun, and not bore me.

I will never have a collective pitch heli. Or be able to do 3D.

I know it is hard to reccommend helis where there is so many, and so many different people out there, but their has to be people in the same boat as me, and who have already gone throuhg and asked what I am asking. I have done alot of research, but still do not know.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:51 AM
Sasquatchin

awesome flight times..not going to happen with LiPo's, i get 10 mins max if im flying easy..on the bigger heli's, more like 5 mins. Great flight times come with Nitro.

Outside flight requires a bigger heli. My blade CX2 can fly outside in a slight breeze, but it is far from fast or manuverable.

Your issues with the walkera sound like either bad battery(s), or some bad electronics (my Novus CX had the same issue, and would not hover more then a couple inches off the floor).

As far as using your current batteries with a new heli, just look at what the other heli's use.

Parts availablity, check your LHS and see what they carry. Mine carries Heli-Max and E-flight (Iown 2 of each brands, and as far as Iam concerned, E-Flight kicks Heli-Max's butt in quality).

Now, just what Ihave seen from my limited experience in flying RC heli's:

Coax, MUCH easier to fly then single rotor (obviously).

The Smaller the Heli, the more unstable it is, hence harder to fly.

Spending a bit more on a quality heli is worth it in the long run.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:48 AM
gagallagher04401

Well as far as a LHS there isn't one. Closest one is 3 hrs away, so everything will be online.

Anyone know of a heli that can use 11.1V 3S lipo's?

I am willing to man up and get practice, practice, practive with a fixed pitch.

So how is this I guess.......

I want a GOOD outside coaxial, durable, good flight times, spare parts, etc..

I want a GOOD outside fixed pitch, '' '' '' '' '' '' (use 11.1V 3S lipos) etc....

I would like them both to be able to take some abuse as we all know they will wheather they want to or not LOL.

These are going to be "learning, and growing no matter what" so would like the heli's to be good enough so they them selves will not further frustrate the situation them selves. (hope that made sense)

Someone said to me, "the job is usually hard enough it self, so at least use good tools to help make the job easier" I want to use the same theory withmy heli's.

Thanks
George

Old 12-02-2009, 01:01 PM
gagallagher04401

Anyone know anythign about this heli?

Looks good, and is 11.1V, alot of metal on it as well. 2.4ghz compter radio.

4 CH 2.4GHz Walkera Lama 400D CoAxial Radio Remote Control Electric RC Helicopter RTF w/ Metal Head
http://www.bananahobby.com/1949.html

Price seems steep to me, anything better out there or equal for a lesser price?

Thanks
George
Old 12-02-2009, 01:57 PM
raptor fan

I dont think you are going to find many non cp helis that will fit your batteries. Why d;ont you want a cp heli any way?
Old 12-02-2009, 02:14 PM
gagallagher04401

I am not looking to do 3D, I do not know enough about cp, and maintence and setup seem like can be a pain on a cp. Plus they are pricey. All in all seems to complicated and hard for what I am wanting to be able to do.......maybe I am wrong.

Just looking for a nice heli to fly around outside and have fun. Weather it be co-axial or FP, I would like to have both, so my dad could learn with the co-axial.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:29 PM
dennisef

Hey, before you send any money off to the BH site you should search the forums for the problems with buying from them. Somewhere there is an extensive string about problems with units purchased not working or possibly returned items. I read it the other day and it is in here somewhere.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:41 PM
gagallagher04401

I would not buy from BH, I was looking at heli's trygin to get good idea's and narrow my search down some.

I am so confused on what to go with.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:06 PM
raptor fan

Take a good look at the blade msr. It flies wonderfully and is tough. Ihave it and its wonderfull!
Old 12-03-2009, 06:57 AM
gagallagher04401

Now is it safe to assume if a person can fly the crap out of a blade msr they could fly other larger fixed pitch helicopters easier?

That is my goal.

Thanks
George
Old 12-03-2009, 12:51 PM
gagallagher04401

Well still doing research and trygin to deside.

Any one have one of these?
Walkera HM CB180D Helicopter (2.4G Metal Edition) RTF

It looks good, alot of metal on it. it is FP, and 7.4V and 2.4ghz. Price is not to bad.

Thoughts? Options? Is there a good amount of spare parts, how does it fly etc...

Thanks!
George
Old 12-03-2009, 06:58 PM
raptor fan

I dont know to much about walkera, but if you can fly the msr fine you shouldnt have a problem with any other fixed pitch.comes with two batteries . The esky honeybee fp is another good option.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:18 PM
gagallagher04401

Grrrrrrrrrr......

I think the walkera would be the better of the to, Alot of good things said about the cb180D.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:49 PM
baurwin

I am not looking to do 3D, I do not know enough about cp, and maintence and setup seem like can be a pain on a cp. Plus they are pricey. All in all seems to complicated and hard for what I am wanting to be able to do.......maybe I am wrong.

Just looking for a nice heli to fly around outside and have fun. Weather it be co-axial or FP, I would like to have both, so my dad could learn with the co-axial.
ahh man, its not that bad. cp's can seem intimadating at first, but really they are not that bad. they are not even extremely hard to fly. i learned how to fly my b400 b4 i could figure out how to fly my fixed pitch. you dont have to be interested in 3d to have a cp heli. infact, a cp will fly better outside than a fixed pitch. its so nice being able to bring the heli down out of the wind with negative pitch rather than reducing throttle and head speed like on a fp.

just dont want you to think they are next to impossible to figure out. i didnt think i would b able to fly one either, but i sure was gonna try. i went from an mcx to a blade 400. ive had cp helis for almost a year now, and while i cant do any 3d, i can fly it around pretty good. so dont think ya cant, or they are too hard. you can even program a cp to behave like fp if you want. there are just so many more possibilities with a cp for you to grow on.

ne who, just my 2 cents, just dont rush to judgement and take as much time as you need to chose the right heli for you, and have fun.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:00 PM
gagallagher04401

Baurwin,

Thanks alot, I guess I am "scared" of CP, but there IS NO ONE AROUNDHERE TO FLY WITH, AND CLOSEST HOBBY SHOP IS 3HRS AWAY. SOOOO.... I AM ALL ALONE on this. It sucks to be honest.

I'll be honest I would love to be able to flyu a CP and do 3D, but just don't think it will happen, but who knows... lol

Thanks
George
Old 12-03-2009, 09:12 PM
baurwin

ORIGINAL: gagallagher04401

Hey thanks alot, I guess I am ''scared'' of CP, but there IS NO ONE AROUNDHERE TO FLY WITH, AND CLOSEST HOBBY SHOP IS 3HRS AWAY. SOOOO.... I AM ALL ALONE on this. It sucks to be honest.

I'll be honest I would love to be able to flyu a CP and do 3D, but just don't think it will happen, but who knows... lol

Thanks
George

dont feel bad, i fly alone as well. i dont have any flying buddies other than the folks on these forums, and they have helped me along the way tremendously. dont get me wrong, i still get skeered to death flying, but its a great rush. i live for it actually. ive been hooked like a junky. my hands shake and get sweaty while im flying, but its a great feeling to fly these machines.

i was completely intimidated by having to set one up, but there are so many vids out there to coach you through it, and then the folks on these forums can answer pretty much any problem you can come up with. i also dont know if ill ever be able to do 3d, but i dont really care. just sport flying is just so much fun.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/user/baurwin1]here[/link] are my vids on youtube if your interested. you can see all the way back to my first blade 400 vid, bunny hopping with training gear on, all the way to present doing hard bank figure 8's and nose in figure 8 patterns. even a few in there with some loops flips and rolls.

good luck on what ever you decide
Old 12-03-2009, 09:48 PM
gagallagher04401

Hey man I checked you out on youtube, added you as a freind and surscribed to you. DaMN if I could just fly like you do with that trex that would be awesome.

Very impressive sport flying.

Take care
George
Old 12-03-2009, 10:10 PM
baurwin

just wanted to show you that it can be done. if somebody would have told me i would be able to fly like that in less than a year, i would have said no way. no chance. it really only took maybe 3 months b4 i could fly around fairly well, just been really working on learning to fly in diff. orientations and getting more familiar with things since then.

so dont be skeered of the cp, but also dont let me nudge ya in a direction ya dont wanna go. just think about what your goals are and where you wanna go and do alot of research lol. the research is neverending in this hobby....[8D]
Old 12-03-2009, 10:19 PM
gagallagher04401

Well I think I am goign to go with the Walkera cb180D

It is FP, and I guess flies quite well, I want to get "bored" (fly it in my sleep" with that and then move up.

What sim were you using on your you tube videos?

I have the 20.00 FMS sim but flying the helis on it seem almost to hard, not like like. I would like to get something a little better, but not spend alot of money on one. I would rather spend the money on actual heli and learn that way. I think in the long run it may be better to man up and just fly it! LOL

I may have some q's for yah as I get deeper into this. Prob won't pursue much except more reading until after the holidays.

Thanks
take care
George