Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Helicopter Sizes and Fuselages

I'm looking into transitioning between on road rc to air. My focus is on helicopters, but I really like the scale and appearance of some of these helicopter fuselages. Now, I know they're terribly expensive (the fuselages), but the canopies just look really cheap and toyish. I'd like to put a fuselage on it for some real sex appeal.

I like the bigger helicopters, since I like the stability and ability to see it in the air. I know .30 size is a good one to start with, but I have no interest in gas helis. With that being said, how do I know what size fuselages will fit on an electric heli when they are sized for nitro helis? Is there some simple conversion (math) I haven't figured out? I've sized the 450, 500, 600, and 700 electric (Align T-Rex) and the gas .30, .50., .60., and .90. and they just don't correspond with each other.

Of course I know to start cheap, and spend lots of practice on a sim. I'm just curious about the sizes of fuselages fitting on electric copters so I know how much money I need to start setting aside.

Oh, and is there a general rule of thumb to see how long a heli is? Like, from front of the cockpit to the back of the tail rotor?

Thank you for your help. I apologize for the novel.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Helicopter Sizes and Fuselages

Bump?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

a lot of places like Thunder Tiger who do their own leccies will do relevant sized scale fuses too! have good look around!

Matty )<>}}}}}]@>
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!! RCHA/100328(F); BMFA #171585

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've sized the 450, 500, 600, and 700 electric (Align T-Rex) and the gas .30, .50., .60., and .90. and they just don't correspond with each other.
    450 no nitro that size I'm aware of
    the 500 is a little smaller than .30
    the 600 = .50
    the 700 = .90
    So a Century or Funkey .50 size fuse will fit a Trex 600 for the most part.
    A lot of sites are coming out with Fuses designed for the 500 and 600 sizes Sky Hobby and RC Aerodyne com to mind.
    You Had me at Hover!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Trev, If you're making the transition from ground to air the least of your concerns should be the plastic skin around it. You need to fly one of these birds before even thinking about dressing it up.
    Get a co-ax first, then move up to a CP, then think about the dressing.
    Just my opinion, Had to respond to this one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks guys!

Steve: can I skip the coax if I just practice forever on a sim? I have little interest in 3d flight. Only truly interested in scale flight.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I second just getting a normal Boom&Pod type heli for your first one. You'l have your hand sfull at first without having a big fuselage in the way.

I'm a little over a year into my Heli adventure and have been very succesful so far. The key I learned here on RCU is to learn-learn and learn. Get a small bird like a full CCPM Belt-CP and just take it slow..get a hover going on and do the fine tuning to get that sweet spot.

I too am very interested in scale flight and I actually have a T-Rex 600 airframe on the way so I can start learning what I need to do in order to produce a really nice scale machine. It wil be expensive.... around 3,000 for a 600 size scale electric. I plan on retracts, lights, authentic paint, custom cut insignia, and every little detail I can do that the full scale heli has.

I took it slow, I am becoming more and more confident with flying my little honeybee and soon I think I will feel a lot better about spending mega cash on a scale ship..I won't crash it lol(hopefully)

I know what you are saying...scale ships are awesome, bu tthey are expensive and having that body in the way will make repairs and fine tuning a lot harder for you.
    Trust me..you'll have your hands full with a normal canopy type heli, but it will teach you to fly and damn....they are fun!.

So get a normal 450 size, build up your flying skill and tuning then when yo ufeel ready...invest in scale.... The last thin goy uwant to do is smash a nice scale ship into the ground....take all that out on a little Belt-Cp or something.
    HBK2, Tonic-X 3500, Hobbywing 40amp,
    Belt-CP(bare frame)
    Coaxial Douphin(2.4ghz)(Blue)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: trev1whittaker

Thanks guys!

Steve: can I skip the coax if I just practice forever on a sim? I have little interest in 3d flight. Only truly interested in scale flight.
    You can skip those, but don't rely on just a simulator... I never did a simulator, because I figure if the old timers could do it without a sim, then I can. Why not get one of these? [link]http://www.xheli.com/walkera-hybrid-cb180-airwolf-helicopter.html[/link]

It's a small 4 channel with a nice scale like body... They say it flies as stable as a coax with single rotor. This will give yo ua tatse of what it's all about for very little money(you won't cry if you crash)

It's a good start
    HBK2, Tonic-X 3500, Hobbywing 40amp,
    Belt-CP(bare frame)
    Coaxial Douphin(2.4ghz)(Blue)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually if you feel confident I think a Fixed Pitch helicopter will let you learn all the basics and get a better feel of what a CP heli would do with the normal flight mode. I got the blade msr and this little thing can take a beating. That walkera looks gorgeous too but I wonder if it could resist a crash (I crashed a whole lot). The hardest thing for me was to not get exited...after having done a nice hover I would try to do some forward flight and those are two very different things (I learned the hard way hehe). The next thing for me will be get a simulator like phoenix and then a 450 size like a esky betl cp or an exceed blue ray.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actualy you can skip right to a .30 size Heli or larger. The whole idea that you have to start with a co ax and move to FP then a small CP is non sense. We have two New guys in my group last year that started big and they have yet to crash. One started with a Trex 600 the other a gas preditor swinging 700 mm blades. The key here is that they have taken it slow. They are flying with experianced pilots that where able to go over the helis and tame them down a bit and help with flight advise. Putting in sim time and going slow.
    BTW booth made it from hovering to forward flight last year.
    You Had me at Hover!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: steve491

Trev, If you're making the transition from ground to air the least of your concerns should be the plastic skin around it. You need to fly one of these birds before even thinking about dressing it up.
    +1

It looks easy and fun... but in the early stages you'll have your hands full... and that's a guarantee! Putting on a scale body will only distract you as a new heli flier and make adjustments to the mechanics much more difficult.

.... Start flying... You'll see what I'm talking about.

Just go with the pod & boom for now, that's my advice. YMMV.
    Mike * Intercepting The Localizer* AMA# 365566
    Bud Nosen C-310 Club #32 * J.P.O. Member 2302

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lots of good advice on here.

Start with a sim and the biggest pod and boom heli you can afford (and afford to crash). I started by going the co-ax route myself, but have regretted it since then. There's a guy that I fly airplanes with that wanted to break into helis. He didn't tell me until after he had bought a CX3 coaxial heli. He started to get bored with that, so I recommended he get a bigger heli, at minimum a 400/450 class. He bought a Blade 400 (that's also what I was flying at the time) and learned quite a bit from that heli. Once he got to where he could keep the 400 from attacking us or tipping over and crashing, I let him hover my Raptor 50 to show how much easier the larger helis are to fly. Guess what, he did it much better than I ever saw him hover with the 400, and that was without training gear. He has a T-Rex 600E (same size as my Raptor) now!!!

Also take into account where you have available to fly. If you're gonna be stuck in a park or back yard, stick with the 450-500 class helis. If you have the an area the size of a football field or bigger, go about as big as you can afford. If you have an LHS that stocks heli parts, find out what they stock parts for. Also, see if you can find someone in your local area that already flies to help you out.

Take it slow and work your way into a hover. Buy or make a set of training gear (2 long dowels tied together in an "X" pattern with wiffle golf balls on the ends to aid in preventing a tipover). Do a Google search for RADDs school of rotary flight. Follow those instructions, and you'll have a successful first hover. What he says throughout the lessons is to work up the headspeed slowly. Go with one headspeed one pack, and kick it up a little for the next until you have enough headspeed to lift off into a hover. The first time you spin up any good heli, you'll get a huge of an adrenaline rush from the sight and sound of it.

As for once you've learned to fly and are comfortable with it, and you want to go ahead with your scale build there are several companies that make BEAUTIFUL scale fuselages and the mechanics to go in them. For most of these, you will have to paint and detail them (or pay them extra to do so), as well as assemble them and add whatever scale details you choose. Below are links to a couple of them. None are cheap, and may even be more expensive than you were looking at before. However, the quality is well worth it. Most of these can be converted to electric with a bit of work. The Indy Apache is designed around an electric power system. I've included them so you can get a bit of motivation and the drool factor going.

Hirobo
    http://www.modelrec.com/rc-products/helicopters-scale.asp

Vario (One of the more pricey ones)
    http://us.vario-helicopter.biz/shop/

Starwood Scale Models (One of the more pricey ones)
    http://starwoodmodels.com/

Indy Helis (Awesome Apache kit, also very pricey)
    http://www.indyhelis.com/

Thunder Tiger (not one of the best, but much better looking than the Century/FunKey)
    http://www.acehobby.com/ace/scale_heli.htm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would start with an eflite mcx Schweizer 300C. Looks scale and is great for orientation training. Almost indestructable. Costs less than one crash on a .50-.60 size machine.
    I still use mine all the time.
    http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLH2300

B
    Bart Century Raven 50/ B400/CPP/Decathalon/Edge 260/80\" cub/ Bruiser/USA1 nitro/MBX r2/Savage XSS Dx3r/AX10 Scorpion kit etc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Also wanted to mention that a trex 600 refers to 600mm long main blade length.
    B
    Bart Century Raven 50/ B400/CPP/Decathalon/Edge 260/80\" cub/ Bruiser/USA1 nitro/MBX r2/Savage XSS Dx3r/AX10 Scorpion kit etc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i wonder where the OP is looking at fusaloge`s that they dont give size`s?
    every place i ever looked, CLEARLY had the size`s stated.
    450,500,600,700,30,50,60,90, etc............................................... ....................
    crash`s come easy patience dont

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

bart man!

how come the 450's have 315's-330's???[]

Matty )<+}}}}]@>
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!! RCHA/100328(F); BMFA #171585

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

some body now, where i can find a high detail scale cockpit for the Mi-24 600 scale in a electric mode?, please i have 3 months locking for this part but my lucky is to bad. Tell me where please and what is the price.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Please, for the love of sanity DO NOT buy anything that says WALKERA![X(] In general, the bigger the blades, the more stable the heli. Had much success with blade400, and gaui 200, practically no sim time yet(tried the demos), and now eyeballing a 600 or 700 size electric. Good luck with those XL birds They make em electric too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=415JeO_xZc0

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Matty, 450s are measured in british witsworth.[8D]there is always an exception to the rule[:-]
    but nice catch.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A note on 600 size repair costs. Hobby King is going to be releasing a Trex 600 clone some time in the next couple of weeks. Rumor control has it the cost should be 150-200 for the kit. I'm sure repair parts will be cheap. The videos that HK released look good all metal head and Tail and CF frames. I doubt it will be the same quality as a Trex ESP 600 but it does look good better in fact than my 1st Trex CF which came with metal and plastic head , plastic tail.
    You Had me at Hover!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like the idea that the bigger the heli, the easier it is to work on the parts, and the easier it is to hover. I didn't put as much thought in the fact that the bigger the heli, the bigger the fuse, so the fuse would cost more money.

Thanks for everyone's opinions. I'll start looking at the basic pod and boom helis.