Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

From coax to FP

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Zayk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From coax to FP

Alright, So i've been flying my trusty BigLama for a while, And its suited me well, Im able to Come to a hover, Fly in circles, and ect.

Now, what im asking, is

Once i got to a Fixed pitch, Will it be a shock of how hard it is to fly?Or will it be just a little bit harder, because i dont know what to expect.

Im getting the Esky Honeybee V2, incase that matters.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:59 PM
SilverSmith

Default RE: From coax to FP

Hi all,

This is a question I had tooo. I have several Coax's..CX2, CX3, etc. I can fly them on the edge of their limits comfortably. I have a mSR coming in the next day or two to play with in the house, and outside when its calm. I also want to get a 300-400 sized fixed pitch. I have looked at the HBFPV2 and Falcon40V2 online. Which is the best bang for the buck. Which one is the most stable/durable/easily upgraded? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated..

Old 01-21-2010, 11:17 AM
dknovick

I can recommend both the HoneyBee and the Falcon as a next step up to FP. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

It will be a shock of how hard it is to fly. A coaxial will only really teach you about orientation (flying tail-in, side-in, nose-in), and nothing else. Learning how to hover can be frustrating, but very exhilarating!

I recommend [link=http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html]Radd's[/link] to learn how to hover.

-Dave
Old 01-21-2010, 04:43 PM
SilverSmith

Cool,

Thanks for your help. The more I learn about heli's , the more I want to learn. The addiction is coming on strong LoL. I was looking at specs on the two above mentioned heli's, and I noticed that the HPFPV2 touts that it has "CCPM (collective cyclic pitch mixing) system " which I was lead to believe: A) Was only used on Collective Pitch heli's and B) Was a 120 degree swash requiring 3 servos. The pic of the V2 shows 2 servos 90 degrees apart. Could you shed some light on this?

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 01-24-2010, 04:33 PM
dknovick

ORIGINAL: SilverSmith

Cool,

Thanks for your help. The more I learn about heli's , the more I want to learn. The addiction is coming on strong LoL.
perfect!

I was looking at specs on the two above mentioned heli's, and I noticed that the HPFPV2 touts that it has ''CCPM (collective cyclic pitch mixing) system '' which I was lead to believe: A) Was only used on Collective Pitch heli's and B) Was a 120 degree swash requiring 3 servos. The pic of the V2 shows 2 servos 90 degrees apart. Could you shed some light on this?

Thanks again,

Mike
A) ccpm is for collective pitch helis.
B) doesn't have to be 120° (but it usually is)

There are different versions of the HoneyBee. There's the fixed pitch, and then there's the CP3 which is a CCPM heli. Maybe you where looking at that?

-Dave
Old 01-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Solman

I personally loved making the switch to the MSR. It is small and durable, which makes it great for indoor and outdoor. The hardest part for me to learn is directional control, which is what the coaxial was for. The MSR was pretty much the same and is easy to fly, but can go much quicker. As you make the next step, you will have to work on your reactions and think ahead/quicker.
I took this route starting last Summer:

August - Blade CX3 4 chnl
learning curve - Directional control

September - Blade MSR 4 chnl
learning curve - Directional control at a faster rate, input roll and rudder, thinking\reacting than helicopter (gets much more interesting)

November - Blade CP Pro 2 6 chnl
learning curve - Much more responsive, much harder to hover, crashes more expensive and easier to break parts.

I know I should be more patient, but I have limits.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:19 PM
SilverSmith

Hahaha

I know what ya mean Solman about have limits in patience! I'm already entertaining the idea of going to a 450-500 size TREX Clone. This is more addictive than drugs (So I Hear Anyway)!. Can you fly your CP at all? Or does it spend more time being repaired? I really want to go the cp route, and am wondering if the FP would just be a waste of money and time. I know when I first got my cx, i kept trying to push it past its limits and would usually end up in a spiral of death due to a flybar / blade strike. Upgraded all of that so blade strikes are impossible now so its almost as perky as the msr, however having a tail has been a good learning experience for me as it does have a different feel than the coax setup.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:24 PM
SilverSmith

BTW,

I failed to mention it, but I've had the msr for two days now! Love it!!! Like I mentioned in the earlier post, about the cx msr tail difference, just remebered I never mentioned that I finally got the mSR

Old 01-24-2010, 07:36 PM
dknovick

I really want to go the cp route, and am wondering if the FP would just be a waste of money and time. I know when I first got my cx, i kept trying to push it past its limits and would usually end up in a spiral of death due to a flybar / blade strike.
I don't think a FP would be a waste of money.

There are two schools of thought.

The FP way:
The FP is cheaper to buy, cheaper to fly, cheaper to fix, but twitchy.

The CP way:
The CP is bigger, so it's more stable, has a much higher head speed (also increasing it's stability), but has 3x the parts of a FP. And then there's getting a computer radio, setting up the CCPM, setting up the throttle/pitch curves, etc.

So the FP is cheaper, but can be a handful to learn how to hover. The CP is more stable, but will cost more when you crash (which you will probably do when learning how to hover).

The choice is yours. I went the FP way, and was very happy when I did. After learning how to hover the twitchy FP, the CP was no problem.

-Dave
Old 01-24-2010, 07:50 PM
SilverSmith

Good points Dave.

And being that FP's are inexpensive, maybe I'll give that whirl first.
So if you were going to bu a FP again, knowing what you know now, which one would you get?

Mike
Old 01-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Solman

I fly my CP Pro 2 pretty good, except when I try to push it. If I keep it moderate, I fly it very well. Today I started pushing it and did a crash today and will have to replace the tail boom. I actually started to play with some of the settings and actually made it a bit more mellow. I wish I would've known that sooner. I ended up learning the hard route, but don't crash as much now.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:27 PM
SilverSmith

ORIGINAL: Solman

I fly my CP Pro 2 pretty good, except when I try to push it. If I keep it moderate, I fly it very well. Today I started pushing it and did a crash today and will have to replace the tail boom. I actually started to play with some of the settings and actually made it a bit more mellow. I wish I would've known that sooner. I ended up learning the hard route, but don't crash as much now.

Sorry to hear about your wreck, but it happens What did you do to mellow it out?

Mike

Old 01-24-2010, 11:37 PM
dknovick

Good points Dave.

And being that FP's are inexpensive, maybe I'll give that whirl first.
So if you were going to bu a FP again, knowing what you know now, which one would you get?

Mike
I only have experience with the two (Falcon 40 and HBFP), and USHobbySupply carries parts for both (which is always a good thing!) I would probably get the HBFP and use Tinkman's mod (you can find him on the HBFP thread), so that you don't have to glue the tail boom to the frame (the only thing I dislike about the HB).

-Dave
Old 01-24-2010, 11:54 PM
Solman

Just played with the curves knob and moved it full counter clockwise. It came stock in the middle and still don't understand what the positions mean. That is why I want a digital screen, to see exactly what I am working with. Parts won't cost much, just be down for a few days.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:54 PM
SilverSmith

I only have experience with the two (Falcon 40 and HBFP), and USHobbySupply carries parts for both (which is always a good thing!) I would probably get the HBFP and use Tinkman's mod (you can find him on the HBFP thread), so that you don't have to glue the tail boom to the frame (the only thing I dislike about the HB).

-Dave

What the hell, I'm gonna order one tomorrow and give it a whirl. I also took your suggestion and am going through RADDS training right now. Very informative...

Thanks for all your help, I'll let ya know how it goes

Mike

Old 01-25-2010, 12:56 AM
TakeshiSkunk

Just played with the curves knob and moved it full counter clockwise. It came stock in the middle and still don't understand what the positions mean. That is why I want a digital screen, to see exactly what I am working with. Parts won't cost much, just be down for a few days.
Does it control Throttle, Pitch, or both? If it's affecting your throttle curve, wouldn't dialing it back all the way lower your head speed a lot at make the heli less stable?
Old 01-25-2010, 12:30 PM
dknovick

ORIGINAL: TakeshiSkunk

Does it control Throttle, Pitch, or both? If it's affecting your throttle curve, wouldn't dialing it back all the way lower your head speed a lot at make the heli less stable?
If I had to guess, it would adding some expo to the controls (or at least, I hope that's what was done)

-Dave
Old 01-25-2010, 12:31 PM
dknovick

What the hell, I'm gonna order one tomorrow and give it a whirl. I also took your suggestion and am going through RADDS training right now. Very informative...

Thanks for all your help, I'll let ya know how it goes
You won't be disappointed with either!

Good luck and happy flying!

-Dave
Old 01-29-2010, 09:56 AM
techrtr

If you do decide to get a CP heli, I would avoid the E-Flite CP Pro. Very difficult to fly. Not a beginner heli at all.