Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Newbie saying hello

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Hexrays

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie saying hello

Hi all. I just ordered my first real RC copter from HH. I purchased the Esky Lama V4 and am anxious to get delivery.
I tried flying a 2 channel piece of junk some years ago and got totally turned off to the hobby. Recently I purchased a Syma Chinook S022 at the mall from a guy in a kiosk. I was impressed how well it flew even though it is of poor quality. I was happy that I could actually fly the thing compared to the two channel I tried in the past. So maybe the Lama will be a good start to something much better as I gain experience
. I'm sure I'll be doing much reading in his forum.

:-)
Old 01-21-2010, 10:19 PM
GenkiDesu

Default RE: Newbie saying hello

Im new to the hobby too...but did a lot of homework before getting for first RC Heli...
I got a Walkera 4g6, I personally think its a little too advanced for a starts heli.

Its 6 channels, which means it can go up, down, left, right, back, andfroward... Its also a collective pitch heli which means the rotors move to increase air flow instead of a fixedpitchwhich speeds up the motor to make more air flow and they are usually 4(5) channel heli's. So a 2 channel heli can only go up and down... you really cant control the direction they go in..... I would have to say they are a 'toy' compared to real rc heli's....

Since I got my heli, I hovered for about 1 to 2 seconds until I have to land it... it had a strong drift to the left which I am trying to figure out and fix....
As I read further, it takes A LOT of patience and time to master them.

Welcome to the hobby....
Old 01-21-2010, 11:03 PM
TakeshiSkunk

Since I got my heli, I hovered for about 1 to 2 seconds until I have to land it... it had a string drift to the left which I am trying to figure out and fix....
No matter what, a tail rotor heli is going to drift to the left, the lighter it is the more it will. They have to lean to the right a bit to hover in one spot, the lighter they are the more they need to lean. Pretty sure nothing is wrong with your heli.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:08 PM
GenkiDesu

Thats good news to me... lol

I seen videos on Youtube.com showing them hovering in spot without a strong pull to the left..

Do you know how they did it?
Old 01-21-2010, 11:16 PM
Mack66

After a while you don't even notice it or think about it. Just compensate for it with right cyclic and try to keep it in one place for starters. You may wish to follow RADD's School of Flight for a training program. Lots of people have used it. Go to http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html

Mack
Old 01-21-2010, 11:36 PM
TakeshiSkunk

Bigger, heavier helis just don't have to lean quite as much so it's not really as noticeable. Or maybe they had some wind helping them or something :P If you can find a video of a Blade400 or a Blade CP hovering it should be pretty pronounced.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:54 PM
GenkiDesu

Just so you have a mental image of my problem....

Say, I hover 4 to 6 inches off the ground for 1 to 2 seconds at most...
The drift brings me 6 feet or more away from where I lifted off...

No matter how much trim I use, itdoesn'tbreak this strong drift.
Ok, let me not use the word drift anymore... maybe Moving left is a better image.
:-)

Old 01-22-2010, 12:50 AM
TakeshiSkunk

Well if you don't correct for it then it's gradually going to get worse and move faster. Also ground effect is going to make it want to move around more.

I think if you had a serious setup issue it would have probably tipped over trying to lift off. All the same did you check to see that your swashplate and all that is trued up level when the servos are powered up and centered? I'm not really qualified to help with setup at all though lol.

It'd prolly be a good idea to post a vid so someone can tell you if it's normal or unnaturally severe.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:49 AM
GenkiDesu

Thank you Takeshiskunk,

Ive been trying for 4 hours to get a more then 2 second hover...and I did just once but it still had that strong drift left.
I think your right about the ground/air issue with hovering... when I git about 3 feet high, it seems to want to hover in mid air...better then at 1 foot.

Ill have to try again but I might also start all over again from scratch from RADD flying school webpage.

They make it look so easy on youtube... :-)
Old 01-22-2010, 07:42 AM
Sasquatchin

Yeah, when your trying to hover that low to the ground, your getting in your own rotor wash, which is going to make your heli drift around like a puck on an air hockey table.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Mack66

or like a marble on a pane of glass...

Mack
Old 01-22-2010, 12:46 PM
TakeshiSkunk

or like a dog on a frozen lake!