Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Beginner Heli Kit Under $100??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Best Beginner Heli Kit Under $100??

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Rebel Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Beginner Heli Kit Under $100??

Hi Guys,

As the subject line reads...................Iknow it will be more of a toy but are any of the 3 or 4 ch. kits I see any good for a beginer that Icould play around with in the backyard or house? I flew rc planes in the early 80's but this is all new to me.

Thanks!!

P.S. Upping the price another $100 gets me into the Blade CX3 Kithttp://www.redrockethobbies.com/E_Fl...p/eflh2000.htm Any good??
Old 02-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Sasquatchin

Default RE: Best Beginner Heli Kit Under $100??

if you go with the cx3, shop around, 199 is too high for that. My store carries them for 179, and im sure you can find that price just about anywhere.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:40 PM
dknovick

ORIGINAL: Rebel Racing

Hi Guys,

As the subject line reads...................I know it will be more of a toy but are any of the 3 or 4 ch. kits I see any good for a beginer that I could play around with in the backyard or house? I flew rc planes in the early 80's but this is all new to me.
Are you looking for a coax or a fixed pitch?
(I'm assuming coaxial, since you mentioned the CX3)

Where do you plan to fly?
How big an area?

-Dave
Old 02-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Rebel Racing

ORIGINAL: Sasquatchin

if you go with the cx3, shop around, 199 is too high for that. My store carries them for 179, and im sure you can find that price just about anywhere.
A quick look at Ebay has them for $199 with free shipping................I'd shop around first though.

Thansk!!
Old 02-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Rebel Racing

ORIGINAL: dknovick

Are you looking for a coax or a fixed pitch?
(I'm assuming coaxial, since you mentioned the CX3)

Where do you plan to fly?
How big an area?

-Dave
I assume that the coax is easier so, yes. As far as flying area.....likely the backyard and IF I ever got good enough I'd try inside the house. Is the CX3 a good one to look at or are there others??

Thanks!!
Old 02-01-2010, 06:24 PM
bcr1953chevy

The smaller heli's don't fly very well outside. I have a Blade MSR (fixed pitch) that I fly indoors in a space that is about 12 ft by 14 ft. It takes a little patience and I do encounter a few objects from time to time but this little thing takes a pretty good lick and can be picked up and flown again. I read on this site that the coaxial helis are easier to fly. Other than a toy coaxial that I bought at Radio Shack, I've not owned or flown a coaxial. I'm sure that you can find a lot of material on the CX3 here on this site.

I do take the MSR outside from time to time. If the wind blows it is like a leaf. Don't fly near trees, rain gutters, etc.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Rebel Racing

Thanks!!
Old 02-01-2010, 07:00 PM
NobodyFamous

the Blade CX2 and CX3 are very stable heli's, but do to the stable nature it also makes them very slow, so they do not fly outside in any kind of wind/breeze.

I would recommend the blade mCx.  It is so tiny it really doesn't damage other things if it hits them.  And because it is so small, you can fly it in small spaces.  A single car garage or large room is all you need. 

If you are dead set on flying outside, wait and get the new Blade SR.  It is a larger version of the mSR and will fly outside in a bit of a wind.

I once owned (and again) a Blade CX2, I know how to fly it, but it is nerve racking to fly in the house because it is too big.  The blades also shatter all over the place when you do contact a wall/lamp/table.

go for the "micro" heli's and fly inside.  I am looking at getting the mSR for fun in the house.

read up on all the blades at http://www.e-fliterc.com/Blades/
Old 02-01-2010, 07:25 PM
dknovick

ORIGINAL: Rebel Racing

I assume that the coax is easier so, yes. As far as flying area.....likely the backyard and IF I ever got good enough I'd try inside the house. Is the CX3 a good one to look at or are there others??

Thanks!!
Correct, the coaxial is easier to fly (much more stable). You can learn orientation (tail-in, side-in, nose-in) hovering, but that's about it. As others have said, if it's small enough to fly in the house (Blade mCX or mSR), it will be blown around outside (unless it's no wind to very light).

-Dave
Old 02-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Rebel Racing

ORIGINAL: dknovick

Correct, the coaxial is easier to fly (much more stable). You can learn orientation (tail-in, side-in, nose-in) hovering, but that's about it. As others have said, if it's small enough to fly in the house (Blade mCX or mSR), it will be blown around outside (unless it's no wind to very light).

-Dave
That all makes sence. I'm getting the impression that any of the coaxial beginner heli's will be a good start as long as they stay inside or in dead calm air outside.

Thanks!!
Old 02-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Rebel Racing

ORIGINAL: NobodyFamous

the Blade CX2 and CX3 are very stable heli's, but do to the stable nature it also makes them very slow, so they do not fly outside in any kind of wind/breeze.

I would recommend the blade mCx. It is so tiny it really doesn't damage other things if it hits them. And because it is so small, you can fly it in small spaces. A single car garage or large room is all you need.

If you are dead set on flying outside, wait and get the new Blade SR. It is a larger version of the mSR and will fly outside in a bit of a wind.

I once owned (and again) a Blade CX2, I know how to fly it, but it is nerve racking to fly in the house because it is too big. The blades also shatter all over the place when you do contact a wall/lamp/table.

go for the "micro" heli's and fly inside. I am looking at getting the mSR for fun in the house.

read up on all the blades athttp://www.e-fliterc.com/Blades/
Thanks for all the great info!!
Old 02-02-2010, 12:57 PM
mydartswinger

The Blade SR is not a larger version of the mSR. The SR has a CP head, meaning it's a 6 channel heli capable of some aerobatics with some programming changes. Though the e-Flite promo vids of it look promising, I'd wait until people can actually get them in their hands before jumping into it right away.

Both the mCX and mSR are excellent helis. The mSR may take a little bit longer to get the hang of, but will be more enjoyable for longer. A CX type heli, while fun on occasion, gets boring pretty quick after a lot of repeated flying (you may end up getting bored with it within a month or so, if that). You can get an RTF mCX for about $130. An RTF mSR is closer to $150-$180, but well worth it IMHO.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Rebel Racing

Hi Guys,

What about the Honeybee Mark 3 RTFhttp://www.hobby-lobby.com/honeybee3.htm I read quite a few reviews and several instructional videos, to an amature like me it sounds good. I like the fact that it comes with sim software so I can practice with the transmitter on the computer. I know that it is not as easy as a coaxial one but this might work. Opinions??

Thanks!!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:20 PM
mydartswinger

The Honey Bee Mk 3 should be fine for you. It will be trickier to fly than the mCX or mSR, but still not too terribly difficult. As long as you have a large room or garage to fly it inside the house, or have enough times when the wind is nearly nonexistent. It will handle the wind better than an mCX or mSR, but not by a large margin. It's larger size will make it a bit hairy to fly around the house, especially while you're getting the hang of it.

Many people have learned on these helicopters and set themselves up for success when stepping up to a 6 channel heli.

BTW, Nice 'Stang with even nicer times.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Bayer-Z28

I've got a Heli-Max Cx and it's a great starter platform! That little bugger can take a BEATING too! It's taken a couple hard hits, splash landing in the kitchen sink and a couple snow landings and it's still kicking! 4 channel controller so you have full control of the chopper and trim adjustments. But everytime you fly it, you will have to readjust the trim.. = a non-issue issue..
Old 02-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Rebel Racing

ORIGINAL: mydartswinger

The Honey Bee Mk 3 should be fine for you. It will be trickier to fly than the mCX or mSR, but still not too terribly difficult. As long as you have a large room or garage to fly it inside the house, or have enough times when the wind is nearly nonexistent. It will handle the wind better than an mCX or mSR, but not by a large margin. It's larger size will make it a bit hairy to fly around the house, especially while you're getting the hang of it.
Sounds good..I think that iwill start looking around forone then.[/quote]

ORIGINAL: mydartswinger
BTW, Nice 'Stang with even nicer times.
Thanks!! The race car takes a lot of my free time but it is nice to do other things also, hence the interest in one of these choppers.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:19 PM
maxmax77

Rebel Racing:

you might want to consider getting a "toy" 3ch coaxial heli for $30 or less.

Why? because they're really easy to fly and they're good practice for the real thing. they help you get used to flying with controls reversed when the heli's facing you. Also, they're fun to ly while your "big bird" is getting juiced up.

if you're looking at the "honey bee mark 3" you might want to consider a [link=http://www.xheli.com/2-4ghz-exceed-rc-falcon-40.html]falcon 40 v2[/link] or a [link=http://www.xheli.com/wadr4rarecor.html]falcon 40 v1[/link] . the reason I would get one of these over a Honey Bee Mark 3 is that these helis have one hell of a support forum ([link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4826535/mpage_339/key_/tm.htm]here's the falcon 40 forum[/link])

just my 2 cents
regards
-max

PS-you said that the HB mark 3 had a flight sim? you can download the FMS flight sim [link=http://www.flying-model-simulator.com/]here [/link] for free! Also, the falcon includes a cable to plug into your computer
Old 02-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Rebel Racing

ORIGINAL: maxmax77

Rebel Racing:

you might want to consider getting a "toy" 3ch coaxial heli for $30 or less.

Why? because they're really easy to fly and they're good practice for the real thing. they help you get used to flying with controls reversed when the heli's facing you. Also, they're fun to ly while your "big bird" is getting juiced up.

if you're looking at the "honey bee mark 3" you might want to consider a [link=http://www.xheli.com/2-4ghz-exceed-rc-falcon-40.html]falcon 40 v2[/link] or a [link=http://www.xheli.com/wadr4rarecor.html]falcon 40 v1[/link] . the reason I would get one of these over a Honey Bee Mark 3 is that these helis have one hell of a support forum ([link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4826535/mpage_339/key_/tm.htm]here's the falcon 40 forum[/link])

just my 2 cents
regards
-max

PS-you said that the HB mark 3 had a flight sim? you can download the FMS flight sim [link=http://www.flying-model-simulator.com/]here [/link] for free! Also, the falcon includes a cable to plug into your computer
Thanks Max, I'll look it over.