Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Training gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Grearhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Training gear

I need help would any one have some photo's of some easy traning gear that I can make? Let me tell you what I have T-Rex 450, 4-waffle golf balls, and two wooden dowells about 20" long each. No problem getting the golf balls on but how do you attach to the helli? Some time this stuff drives me cazy[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 02-11-2010, 11:46 AM
mydartswinger

Default RE: Training gear

Use zip ties (cable ties). Put 2 ties in an "X" pattern around the training gear and skids at each of the 4 corners of the skids. That's how I had them installed on my Shuttle, and it worked pretty well.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:55 AM
TakeshiSkunk

Put the training gear on TOP of the skids, so that the skids themselves still touch the ground. I've heard some people say that putting them under can basically turn it into a big spring that could potentially flip your helicopter over rather than just correcting it.

But yeah just spread it out even so the rods kind of fit against the outside corners where the skid supports meet the skids, and then fasten them on with zip ties.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Grearhead

Thanks for the help now what about how long should they be? As long as the blades, shorter, as of now mine are 23" long so that makes it 10 1/2" from the center side to side.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:06 PM
mydartswinger

Make them a bit larger than the diameter of the main rotor.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:22 PM
fmattox11
My Feedback: (52)

What size dowels? I used 1/4" at first, but a couple of hard bounces will break them.
Then I went to 3/8th" and they were a little heavy for my 450's
I finally downsized to 5/16" and they seem OK, not as heavy (more battery life)

Make sure that the center block is something solid. Plywood and Pine will break.
I happened to have a piece of mahogony around and made 1 1/2" sq. blocks x 1" thick to
plug the dowels into after I had drilled it. It works fine and doesn't break with the
occasional hard landing.

Frank
Old 02-12-2010, 08:00 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the training gear on a smooth surface.... NOT on Grass!
Old 02-12-2010, 09:32 PM
TakeshiSkunk

I've been using mine on grass and haven't had any issues :X Aren't the balls on the end there so that it won't dig in or get tangled up in anything? Though I suppose if you carry a lot of lateral motion into a landing on grass you're probably going to have issues whether you have training gear or not.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:56 PM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For the center piece Iused a plastic cross I bought at an irrigation supply store. Lowe's or Home Depot might have some also. They are light weight and durable...no drilling and all that.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:26 PM
TakeshiSkunk

Do you really need a center piece? I didn't use one and I've never seen anyone say you need one. I've just seen them on the training gear you can buy. Really if you come down hard enough and at enough of an angle to break the training gear you're probably going to damage the helicopter regardless of whether or not the gear breaks.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Grearhead

The set I made is out of 1/4" dowels as far as the center suport I used an O ring and seems to be holding fine, But I'll be looking at all of this info and trying them all. I have to go to Home Depot or Lowe's today so Imay pick up some supply's. I'm not for sure about the gear that I made is long enough it is only 23" long.