Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

DX7 settings for Blade SR

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

DX7 settings for Blade SR

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Topdown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX7 settings for Blade SR

I have a new Blade SR (the bigger one, not the MSR). I want to use my DX7 rather than the transmitter that comes with the RTF package. I like the joysticks and their placement better.

Anyone come up with settings for the DX7 that will "tame the SR down". I am still a beginner when it comes to larger single rotor heli's. Started with an MSR, then lots of simulator time on a Realflight G5.

Thanks,
Tom.............
Old 04-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Topdown

Default RE: DX7 settings for Blade SR

Well, I think Ihave it working. The Blade SR and my DX7.

I took some digital pictures of the servos in all positions using the HP6DSM (the one that comes with the SR). Then adjusted the settings on the DX7 until they were close.

Works great. Now Ican slowly increase settings and rotor head speed (right now flying at 75% throttle) as I get better at flying the thing.

Biggest thing for me was adjusting the collective so that it never goes to a negative pitch. When I start to get out of control the first thing I do,in shear panic mode,is crank down thecollective and used to ram the rotor blade into the tail boom.

Now Ijust have to learn to fly better.

After a few flights in the backyard I go in and have a beer to stop shaking (not sure if this is normal pilot training).

Tom.................
Old 04-13-2010, 02:28 PM
matty_p80

Tom

the shaking thing will always be a part of it!!

Matty )
Old 04-13-2010, 05:31 PM
drobin

I was told you should have a little negative pitch.If the wind picks up or something happens, the negative pitch will "suck" the helicopter to the ground and hold it. As far as the panic mode, it never goes away.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Beachcomber

Tom,
As a beginner aprox a year ago, I set my pitch curve so at zero stick I only had 1 or 2 degrees of negative pitch. And would recommend no more than that for beginners.

And after a lot of practice doing tail-in hovering, you will gradually become more comfortable; your knees will stop shaking. The reason is that without realizing it, your fingers will begin doing whatever is necessary to maintain stable hover, without you having to think about it. It's called muscle memory, and there is no short-cut other than lots of "stick time" flying. Then as you try new maneuvers, the Tail-In hover will be your "comfort zone" you go to when things start to get out of hand. You'll see, it just take lots of practice.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Topdown

I find that each time Icrash and it costs more money to fix the Heli, the more Ishake.

Hopefully I will get used to it............
Old 04-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Topdown

ORIGINAL: Beachcomber

Tom,
As a beginner aprox a year ago, I set my pitch curve so at zero stick I only had 1 or 2 degrees of negative pitch. And would recommend no more than that for beginners.

And after a lot of practice doing tail-in hovering, you will gradually become more comfortable; your knees will stop shaking. The reason is that without realizing it, your fingers will begin doing whatever is necessary to maintain stable hover, without you having to think about it. It's called muscle memory, and there is no short-cut other than lots of "stick time" flying. Then as you try new maneuvers, the Tail-In hover will be your "comfort zone" you go to when things start to get out of hand. You'll see, it just take lots of practice.
Hopefully. Your right I find on my simulator the more I use it the more it starts to become like a reflex action controlling the heli. I been working on the "tail-in" hover mostly.

The other thing that goes thru my mind is each time I crash and have to fix the heli I tend to get more nervous.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Topdown

I ordered a Co-Pilot II for the SR. Hopefully this will help. With the DX7 I can set it up so that the Co-Pilot is off and if I get in "panic mode" I can quickly flip it on and save the heli.

Actually having a lot more fun with the Heli than my fixed wing plane. Maybe it is the "panic/terror" mode that makes it more interesting.

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions.

I will let you know how the Co-Pilot works with the SR.

Tom........
Old 04-30-2010, 08:29 AM
pegneck

Topdown, Have you received your Co-Pilot II yet and installed it?
Old 04-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Topdown

Yes, just got the Co-Pilot yesterday. Last week I decided to buy an Align T-Rex 450 Pro and installed the CP2 on the new 450.

IT WORKS GREAT!!! Took my first 5 flights this morning. Ran thru 2 batterys. The CP2 REALLY made a big difference for me. I have been flying the 450 on the Realflight 5G simulator for a couple of weeks now but the CP2 kind of takes the "fear" out of flying. Not sure about all the other flight stabilization systems but the CP2 works great for me. Very easy to setup. I called their "Technical Department" for some help on setting up the gyro gain and they seemed very well informed.

As for the Blade SR, not sure if I am going to put the CP2 on it. It should work, the CP2 is very light weight and small.

Depending how the 450 goes I probably will sell the SR at this point.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Beachcomber

Wow, you've come a long way in a short time.

I'll predict that once you get a handle on the 450, you won't be interested in the 300 size SR anymore. Unless you want to fly in a small space like your backyard. The SR is supposed to be a stepping stone from Co-Ax to something like the 450 Single Rotor.

Keep us posted, and good luck. Just remember, be patient, and don't try to progress too fast ... or things will go to hell in a hurry.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Chopper Chuck

Hello Tom:
I read with great intetest your post regarding the SR, DX7 and CP2. I think you've already advanced beyond the SR, but I was hoping you might share your DX7 settings for the SR and also exactly what you get from the CP2 (on whatever bird your using it on). I'm certain I'm going to eventually move onto larger/more complex whirlybirds, which is why I went ahead and purchased the DX7. However, for now I just want to get the SR as stable as possible. Any help and advice would be tremendously appreciated.
Regards, Chuck