Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Get Me Started for $1500

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Get Me Started for $1500

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Jig Stick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Get Me Started for $1500

Whats up guys? Ive been lurking on the forum for a while now and have learned a lot so far. Ive been into RCNitro cars and trucks for over 5 years but have always wanted to dabble in helicopters and boats. Well its time for me to pick up this hobby. I would really like some advice though. First, I would like to pick up a radio and sim to train on while I build my heli. That way I can learn on the sim and not by crashing my heli multiple times. And I have heard two schools of thought in regards to which heli to start out on: an entry level that is less expensive but that you will outgrow quickly, or a more expensive one that you can "grow into". Im leaning towards the later of the 2.

Can you guys please point me in the right direction in regards to a good radio and sim to get me going. As for the heli's, I was thinking a raptor 90, but what else is equivalent? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:11 PM
trickle007

Default RE: Get Me Started for $1500

An Raptor 90 is also known as a 700 when referring to size. So any 700 class heli is equal to an 90. Just search 700 size heli and you get an idea what other brands are out there.As for a Sim and Radio i can only talk about the ones I have. I own Phoenix flight sim and I love it but it is not your only option. Radio I own a Spektrum DX7 and also love it but once again there are many options out there for you. Reason I purchased those was becauseits what my local hobby shopcarries. As for Size bigger is better and i speak from experience. I own a 500 and a 450 and the 500 is by far more stable and easier to fly and see then the 450. Good Luck

Old 06-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Jig Stick

I have heard wonderful things about the Spektrum radios.  I will have to look into them a little more.  How exactly does the radio sync with the simulator?  through a computer?  do they work on apple computers?
Old 06-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are completely new to helis, I would actually suggest a 50 size (600 to 620mm blades){600 electric}. This size will not be as intimidating as the 90 (700) will be and it will definitely grow with you as you get better. I'm not knocking down the 90, if your wallet can take it, go ahead Just do not be surprised when you crash it the first time and your wallet commits suicide with a broken credit card.

Rafael
Old 06-29-2010, 09:05 PM
trickle007

According to my Phoeninx flight sim box it says Pc/mac dvd rom so i suppose it works with a Mac but i ask the hobby shop for certain before you purchase it. Once again there are several good sims out there but i only know how phoenix flight works and Phoenix comes with a usb cable and phoenix will not run with out this cable is designed to prevent software piracy. Phoenix also comes with a Spektrum DX5E transmitter not a very good radio but can be used for 4 channel heli's. If you want to use another radio with the sim it is possible you just have to program a model in you TX specific for Phoenix.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:06 PM
mydartswinger

You're on the right track so far.

Here's a few basic steps to help you along the way.

1. Purchase a good simulator (which you already have stated that you will do). I recommend either Phoenix or RealFlight. However, to my knowledge, neither are Mac compatible. Phoenix is compatible with the Spektrum Tx's using a USB link cable or wireless device. You can use a Spektrum radio on RealFlight, however you still have to use the included Interlink controller as a bridge between the computer and your radio.

2. Go with the largest heli you can afford and afford to crash. I agree with Rafael that a .50 size glow (600 electric) is a good starting size. It's a stable and capable flier that can do anything a larger heli can do, and won't break the bank on a crash (or purchase price for that matter). Raptors are a good choice, but don't limit yourself to one brand to look into. If you can, look at what your LHS stocks and what others are flying. Other brands to check out would be Align (T-Rex), Velocity (Outrage), JR (Vibe), Miniature Aircraft (Fury), Audacity (Pantera), Compass (Knight), Ely Q (Vision), and Heli-Max (Kinetic) to name a few. You're most likely to run into Align and Thunder Tiger (Raptor), with a few of the others thrown in.

3. Use training gear for your first hovers. Make these from 2 dowels just larger than the diameter of the rotor, attached in an "X" pattern to the skids, and connect Wiffle balls to the ends of the dowels.

4. If you have local help available, get them to look over and test fly your helicopter before you even start it up. Use them also for assistance in learning to fly. If unavailable, see if your LHS has someone that has some experience setting up a helicopter.

5. If you don't have a LARGE open space on your property to fly, look for a local RC flying club (doesn't have to be a helicopter field, as long as the other members can at least tolerate helicopters), a friend or family member's property that has the space, or consider going to a 450 class electric helicopter. The larger helicopters need an area about the size of a football field or larger (at least the size of a baseball field for just hovering). With the larger helicopters, DO NOT attempt to fly them at a public park. If a public park is all you have available to fly at, stick with the 450 class helicopters (there is even discussion that even those shouldn't be flown at public parks. Just keep to an area of the park at times where there's no one there, and you'll be fine.).

6. Lastly, have fun. No matter what happens, don't get discouraged. It's just a hobby and meant to be fun. Helicopters are a challenge, step up to it, enjoy it, love it.

Welcome to the addiction.
Shannon
Old 11-08-2010, 05:39 PM
raziel1
My Feedback: (2)

i have been lookin to buy a new 50 size heli. i haved a trex 600np was looking to build a new one. i looked for 8 weeks or longer the prises or new 50 size heli's the one i got was the outrage velocity 50 for the money and what you get you cant beat it full upgraded heli out of the box un like some were you have to spend more money to get all the upgraded parts