RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Sky King 3.5CH RC Helicopter?

Old 08-02-2010, 02:48 PM
MikeMoss

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Sky King 3.5CH RC Helicopter?

Hi

Does anyone have any personal experience with one of these?
This is a big Helicopter 36" long.

http://www.hobbytron.com/MetalSkyKin...58&PID=3668851

This might be just what I want for outdoor flying, but I'd like to hear some personal experiences if anyone has flown one or has experience with this brand.

Mike

Old 08-02-2010, 08:17 PM
bjethier

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Sky King 3.5CH RC Helicopter?

Hey Mike
 Don't know anything about, but looks like one hell of a copter to keep an eye on. I have a big lama, and this things really good

Old 08-03-2010, 02:15 PM
MikeMoss

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi

I did a littleresearchand it sounds like no matter how good the heli may be that Hobbytron is not a place you would want to order anything from. Very bad reviews online.

I'll look for this heli from a more reputable supplier.

I didn't want to post that link and be responsible for someone ordering it from them.

Mike
Old 08-03-2010, 05:37 PM
bjethier

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good thinking Mike. I'll look around also, cause I'm trying to get sun in law interested in also. take care
Old 08-12-2010, 09:42 PM
MikeReedKS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have had one for a few days now. I love the size! It is very simple to control, the gyro is near perfect. My only challenge is the instructions are translated very poorly, almost can't understand them. The operation is standard, so truth is you don't need the instructions so it's OK.

The only other thing is the tail rotor is not strong enough and no easy way to adjust it. Forward and reverse are at a snail's pace. Found that if you pulse the forward or reverse, you can get better distance faster, but you look like a crazy pilot. This bird wants to hover by design, so anything else is difficult.

The landing struts are not very wide spread, so it is easy to roll over, even on a decent landing. If you do tip, and the blades are still spinning, they hit each other and chip very easily. Still using my first set and the lower blades are pretty badly chipped, but I use vice grips to bend the plastic back into place and it still flies like they were brand new. It feels pretty well built, very simple design.

They kind of over did the LEDs but hey it looks great in the dark. Truth is I got it as a shelf decoration, the size is impressive for sure and it is fun and easy to fly. Make sure you have plenty of space to fly. If there is any wind, you'll fight to get it back to the tack off spot as the forward speed is so low that even a soft breeze and you'll be flying backwards in full forward mode.

None the less, for the price it's a keeper for sure. My neighbor kid, my daughter and even my wife (who won’t ever try anything that flies) have all flown it successfully. This is the perfect outdoor helicopter for beginners. Experienced pilots will find it far too limiting. I’ll use it as an intro device to get folks hooked and get them trained, then see if they can handle other models.

I ordered 4 extra blade sets and 2 extra batteries today, so I guess I’m sold.

A bit off topic, but I have also REALLY been enjoying my Double Horse 9098 micro indoor helicopters. They are even more controllable than this big one, and you can fly them in the office, the living room or anywhere, and they are very cheap too. Check my video out on YouTube. Search for MikeReedKS or watch below.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-u4PXc82I[/youtube]

One last note... if anyone knows how to increase the forward speed... bring it on!
Old 08-13-2010, 11:53 AM
MikeMoss

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HI

I have a couple of suggestions.
I have found on my S006 that adding a little boom sticking out the front with a weight on it really improved forward speed a lot.
I can even fly it in a very light breeze now.

Here's a picture of the mod.
I used a piece of plastic shrink tube with a .45 cal ball in the end.
It is fastened to the bottom of the heli with black electrical tape.

I would also suggest that you might tryaffixinga light weight tube of some sort across the landing skids so that it sticks out on both sides to keep the heli from flipping over sideways.

Mike
Old 12-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Voyager49

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

some times rcers make a wider landing skid for the SkyKing
I ordered my XXL SkyKing from china CWTCO
Old 01-08-2011, 10:33 AM
dtvdragon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i HAVE two of these helis. blue one and a red one. I bought them both off fleebay.what happened was the first one i ordered had a burnt out tail motor, so what they did was send me another complete heli less a tx!!! hell you cant get any better customer service than that. they didnt want there first heli returned either! so I ordered a replacement motor and now i have to working skykings. now on to performance.like the other poster said, they are designed for hovering, forward and reverse flight is slow. turning left or right is even slower. I was flyinh the red one outside and a gust of wind ended up putting it ino our neighbours car lol. and we dont get along withthem at th best of times. this heli was good forlearning the very basics on and i got bored rather quickly,they are actually very well built, and yes the leds are overkill but does look nice in the dark,I fly a trex 450 v2 most of the time, but every once in a while i will dust off one of the skykings and take her for a spin,. If you have any other questions please ask, hope this helped abit
Old 01-03-2012, 12:21 PM
startraker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bought Sky King too. What a piece of junk! I fixed the heavy tail, by cutting off 1 3/4" from the end. I also added an 8 gram weight to the right runner. For finer balance I moved the horizantal stabilizer Fwd. or Aft. as required. Hope this helps
Old 07-23-2012, 09:49 AM
The factor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yes i have one - I LOVE IT - but to me it is a very beginners heli - gr8 to learn with, - i will say because it is for beginners is does NOT fly well in the wind and you cant do tricks ( but i am ok with that ) i have not found may places for parts but AGAIN FOR THE PRICE - I LOVE THIS TOY