RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter Beginners Forum (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/)
-   -   Elite Blade MCX2 transmitter question (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/10521349-elite-blade-mcx2-transmitter-question.html)

Maxray 05-15-2011 10:03 AM

Elite Blade MCX2 transmitter question

I have been intrigued by the idea of an indoor RC helicopter, having never flown one (Iam an RCcar/truck guy, mainly.) In doing a bunch of research, it seems a great and cost effective way to get started is the Blade MCX2. My question is this - it seems to me that for around $20 more than the RTF I could buy the BNF version of this heli, and at the same time buy a Spektrum 5xe transmitter. The 5xe seems to be very entry-level, but seems a heck of a lot nicer than the transmitter that comes with the RTF.

So - check my logic on this - is it worth it? Is the transmitter that comes with the MCX2 going to be suitable enough, that it isn't worth getting the 5xe?

olefart 05-15-2011 11:00 AM

RE: Elite Blade MCX2 transmitter question

I also have an MCX2, and that was my first bird. That tx is more than enough for that heli. I don't know about the Spektrum 5xe tx that you are looking at, but it may not bind with the MCX2. If you buy another blade 4 channel, the original tx may work with it. Usually the BNF Birds are only a few dollars less than a RTF package. It would be be (in my opinion) best to use the tx that comes with the Blade until you decide how you are going to progress. Then you will know if you need a 4 channel or 6 channel tx... Just my thoughts, Good Luck
Don
Quote:

ORIGINAL: Maxray

I have been intrigued by the idea of an indoor RC helicopter, having never flown one (Iam an RCcar/truck guy, mainly.) In doing a bunch of research, it seems a great and cost effective way to get started is the Blade MCX2. My question is this - it seems to me that for around $20 more than the RTF I could buy the BNF version of this heli, and at the same time buy a Spektrum 5xe transmitter. The 5xe seems to be very entry-level, but seems a heck of a lot nicer than the transmitter that comes with the RTF.

So - check my logic on this - is it worth it? Is the transmitter that comes with the MCX2 going to be suitable enough, that it isn't worth getting the 5xe?

Healthrisk 05-15-2011 05:30 PM

I agree with olefart. The Transmitter that comes w/ the mCX2 is perfect for the heli. That same transmitter will work w/ the mSR and 120sr also. However if your going to buy a transmitter and then just get a BNF you can go the route I just took a couple of days ago. I bought the DX6i and the BNF mSR. I had the LHS help me set up two profiles. I have baby mode for inside and practice then with the flip of a switch I have "big boy" mode. I used the baby mode for an hour or two to get the hang of it. If your starting with the mCX2 then you wont really need a "baby" or "starter" mode to get going for practice. So it may be a waste of cash to get a DX5 over the stock (also the stock will have a starter mode and advanced mode) just not as hardcore. Also think for a moment if your thinking you might get a better transmitter and the BNF mCX. The DX5 wont take you in to the big heli's that need 6ch to fly. So if your going to invest for future birds look at the DX6i minimal and the Heli of your choice.

All in all to shorten this a bit I agree with olefart, just get the RTF version, enjoy it. The DX5 really isn't going to be worth the extra in the long run "imo".
I vote go mCX2 RTF or DX6i and mCX2 BNF (skip DX5)

-Cheers
B<br type="_moz" />

Maxray 05-17-2011 03:56 PM

Thanks guys!

I decided to go with the RTR transmitter, as moving up to the 6i was a little bit more of an investment than I wanted to make - maybe if and when I upgrade.

I picked up the MCX2 at my LHS yesterday - oh man, what a blast! I was up till nearly 2AM flying that thing around - glad I bought two extra 150mah batteries, but I think I need more. Also - I was happy to find that my LHS had an attachment for my Hyperion 0606i charger - (www.hyperion.hk/dn/g3lipo/lgum6p.htm) that allows me to charge 6 single cell batts at one time - I was searching for something just like this online, but was unable to find it, so I put it in here in case anyone else has one of these chargers.

Thanks again - really enjoying this heli and can see that moving up to something I can fly outside might be fun once I master this one.

<br type="_moz" />

Healthrisk 05-17-2011 07:35 PM

They are wicked fun times. I just got an mSR myself. I have found myself staying up WAY late playing with this lil guy.

Chucksolo69 05-18-2011 08:21 AM

I have the mSR and have bound it and my 120 SR to the stock radio that came with my Blade mCX. They work just fine with it. I would definately stick to the stock radio. Buy the BNF 120 SR and bind it to the mSR stock radio. You will find that after flying the mSR and getting good with it, the 120 SR will be even more fun, and also a bigger challenge too. Despite what some say, the 120 SR does not fly as stable as the mSR. If you look at the mSR from behind while flying it, you will notice that the rotor head is canted to the right. This takes away some of the left hand drift that is normal for a heli with a tail rotor. The 120 SR has no such cant to the rotor head so you must compensate for the left hand drift when taking off. It's a bit more difficult than it seems, but loads of fun. I haven't broken anything on my 120 SR yet and I have been flying it indoors and out for about 3 months now.</p>

Maxray 05-18-2011 09:21 AM

Good stuff. My LHS felt that the next logical step would be the 120sr - lots of people make what seems to be a pretty good argument for getting the MSR first. What do you guys think, is the jump from the mCX2 to the 120sr too big? Like I said, the LHS thinks it is a good transition, but curious what people here think.

Chucksolo69 05-18-2011 10:04 AM

Well, actually, I found it easier to fly the 120 SR after flying the mSR for a few weeks. The 120 SR is way more "twitchy" than the mSR and requires almost constant stick input to keep it in a hover. I definately recommend the mSR before the 120 SR. I have the Blade SR CP also, but want to become "expert" with the 120 SR before I attemt to fly the SR.

Healthrisk 05-18-2011 01:27 PM

Next logical step from mCX would prob be the mSR or the 120sr. I would say the mSR over the 120 for the simple fact you will already have batteries that work with it. For me when I bought my mSR it came with 2, I already had 4 so I now have 6! Thats a good bit of flight time.

For me after the mSR I will prob skip the 120 sr. The next step I will take is a simulator then start my 450 build. Im buying a Clone heli because I know I will crash it trying to learn so for me I would rather crash a 200 dollar heli then 800 dollar heli. When I feel good with that I will invest in T-Rex 450 or 500.

<br type="_moz" />