RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter Beginners Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/)
-   -   Walkera HM60B setup with Spektrum DX7s (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/11600542-walkera-hm60b-setup-spektrum-dx7s.html)

jjjperformance 06-21-2014 01:26 PM

Walkera HM60B setup with Spektrum DX7s

Hi, have been flying fixed wings for quite a bit, now trying a bit in Helis. Have been flying 3 and 4 channels no problems, now on to something more. I have an older HM60B that want to use DX7s to fly. Here are the servo / receiver plugs,......

Throttle
Front Swash Plate Servo
Right Swash Plate Servo
Left Swash Plate Servo
Gyro 3 wire servo Black, Red, White
Gyro 1 wire servo Yellow

On the 6 channel receiver there is
AUX1
GEAR
RUDDER
ELEVATOR
ALERON
THROTTLE

So the assignments should be something like..

Motor Speed -> Throttle THROTTLE
Front Swash -> Elevator ELEVATOR
Right Swash -> PIT AUX1
Left Swash -> Aileron AILERON
Gyro 3 wire -> Rudder RUDDER
Gyro 1 wire -> Switch GEAR

I am assuming this has a 3 servo 120 degree swash plate, etc.

1) The 1 wire Gyro plug. Is this to turn Gyro on and off? I should assign this to a switch?
2) The right swash, assign this to AUX1? Why does the Spektrum display / show this a PIT (for pitch?)

Any other hints and tricks would be appreciated

madmorgan 06-21-2014 06:13 PM

looks like you have it covered on the 2 questions with the tx off hold access down and select button down and turn on radio find the screen with aux2 and gear screen basically you can set the aux 2 switch or gear switch on top right of tx to control the gyro cain so if say you select gear and cycle through to gyro then that switch will control the gain of the gyro. now after you decide witch switch you prefer i like using the aux2 sw for gyro but thats my prefs. so then after you decide then hold select and down again and it goes into the screen that you normally have at tx power on. do the down select again to get to setup screens cycle till you see gyro you will see gyro dr 0 and 1 gyro dr lets you assign pos 0 or pos 1 to throttle up modes so if you want say hh orheading hold in norm and idle1 and or 2 then you can choose 0 or 1 depending on which side you have hh on. so comes the fun part in spectrum the hh mode is anything above 50 and rate mode is anything below 50. knowing that i would start atr around 25 setting on 0 and say 70-80 on 1. usually when setting up the tail servos you want servo arm at 90 or as close as you can get it without sub trim or any trims at all this is a HUGE dispute amongst people. im not even going there lol so servo arm at 90 back at the tail center the pitch slider adjusting the rod between servo an tail. now power it up in rate mode be ready to keep control of the bird if its not mechanically set right it will spin ! if you do a good setup the it should just hunt or turn very slowly. now if it is hunting real slow use the trim to counter whatever way its rotating until it stops. then land the bird and move the trim back to center count how many beeps until it gets to center . if you have say 4 beeps then adjust the rod that many turns and you should have a perfectly mechanical setup. now switch to hh mode or pos 1 and get the bird back into hover use a fast left or right input on left stick and watch the tail if it bounces or wags to get back to center and holds. if it does then you will want to go back into menu and lower the gain by 1 if it doesnt then go up and keep adjusting until it does wag then come back down 1 or 2 and your all set.

second question is the just do lol basically when setting up the head pitch is the angle of the blades but all 3 cyclic servos work in conjunction when you add throttle to make the blades pivot to whatever angle on your pitch curve you have set it up to be. theres tons of reading you should do about setting up the head etc etc.

jjjperformance 06-22-2014 11:30 AM

Ok, got the basics setup and I have the bird on a lazy susan for setup. Turns out this is working pretty good for getting the rotation setup.

This bird uses a Walkera G011 Gryo

http://www.bphobbies.com/pdf/walkera/WK-G011.pdf

There is an LED on it. It is solid until I send a rudder command and then it does the 2 flash, which according to the manual is some sort of neutral servo position issue. Any hints on this would be appreciated. The tail servo is not moving at all from the stick commands.

Fyi the tail servo is a Walkera WK-7.6-H

madmorgan 06-22-2014 12:59 PM

yes at 7.9 on the link you posted double flash means nuetral has to be reset from what i gather it says turn off revo mixing so go back into gyro menu and set the value on 0 or one which ever one you set lower try setting it to 0 then make sure gyro switch is in that position and turn on the heli leave it alone for 3 seconds no bumps turns nothing. and then try turning the heli back off if you followed my directions when you readjusted the trim back to zero it made the gyro think that it lost nuetral. them lazy suzans r the bomb for checking gyro setups btw 8).then before you turn heli back on flip switch to hh mode and it should be good to go and you can start getting the hh side setup. it looks like the gyro doesnt mind if theres some trim in there

madmorgan 06-22-2014 01:15 PM

also 1 more thing if that doesnt work make sure the slider on lower left under led is set to digital and not analog if it is the i would unplug the 3 wire for gyro at the reciever and plug the servo directly into rx to make sure that isnt causing a problem if it works then we will have to assume the gyro is toast.

jjjperformance 06-22-2014 01:22 PM

Thanks a ton. Turns out that the tail servo was bad. Replaced it with a "regular" analog servo that I had on had. How important is it to be a "tail" servo?

The GYRO setting was on digital, but did not set an digital setting on the transmitter.

Anyway, here is a short vid of how it is working now. Not bad, but does not keep up with quick acceleration. I assume this can be made better. So how to fix? There is a delay adjustment on the Gyro, I assume fooling with this will make it better.. Will also try and reset the neutral on the Gyro. And I came up the lazy susan by myself........ Good to hear others are also using....... :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/my0e18owo44vzqh/Gyro1.mp4

jjjperformance 06-22-2014 01:25 PM

So is the Walkera WK-7.6-H servo a digital servo? I found some info that said analog. So if digital, do I have to set the transmitter rudder to digital? I have not used many (if at all) digital servos.

madmorgan 06-22-2014 01:41 PM

according to 4 differant sites that have spare parts for the bird that i looked up it was digital what type of servo is it? usually below a .10 speed at whatever voltage your using are good the .08-.05 really work nice. you may be able to smooth it out turning the delay up which im sure it was set to 0 counterclockwise make sure you switch to analog too or you will burn the new servo up lol.

madmorgan 06-22-2014 01:44 PM

the servo specs on original 12).Servo: wk-7.6-3 / weight 8.5g / speed 0.11sec/60[SUP]o[/SUP](4.8V) / torque 0.9kg/cm (4.8V) / dimension 22.5*11.5*24mm oops this is it 11).Servo: wk-7.6-H / weight 6.4g / speed 0.085sec/60[SUP]o[/SUP](4.8V) / torque 0.8kg/cm (4.8V) / dimension 21.5*11.8*21.7mm

jjjperformance 06-22-2014 04:22 PM

Thanks for the help so far. Have the GYRO settled down pretty good, at least to start off with. Now on the the swash plate settings. How / where to start on settings for the 3 servo 120 degree plate........

madmorgan 06-23-2014 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by jjjperformance (Post 11827908)
Thanks for the help so far. Have the GYRO settled down pretty good, at least to start off with. Now on the the swash plate settings. How / where to start on settings for the 3 servo 120 degree plate........

this will be hard at first but easy as you get going along through it lol. ok make sure you have swash as 3 servo 120 thats set in down select power on menu. then after thats set exit go into menus after power is on at this point all 0,s in subtrims and trims except for gyro. unplug 2 motor wires so it wont spool up on you. go into swash mix screen set say 50 on all 3 ail elev pitch test movement of swash when holding left control on your right stick (looking from rear to front) left servo arm will go down and right servo arm up elevator sould not move. if it is not moving this way then change the ail from a +50 to -50 . now check elevator hold right stick up the middle servo should movw up and the left and right should move down if it doesnt change ele +50 to -50 , now on left stick push all the way up the swash will be moving up or down all 3 servos will move evenly (usually) i dont know if your bird is leading edge or trailing but the easiest way to know its working right is. if the swash moves up the main blades should pitch up if they dont you have trailing edge control so you would go into pitch and change that from +50 to -50 now the swash will be high at low stick and move down and the pitch on the main blades will move up. hope that wasnt to confusing.

madmorgan 06-23-2014 06:34 AM

ok so to make this easier im going to turn you onto another site this guy has done videos and he will walk you through the head setup and explain everything and you can follow at your own pace finless bob on helifreaks you will want to go down around head install and setup. watch some of the other videos too as he offers alot of good info http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=132747 . he deals with mostly the highend costly stuff but in the end that align 450 is no differant than the walkera your trying to fly 8). i think you will have to register there but im not sure you may be able to just click on the video and then download it

jjjperformance 06-28-2014 09:53 AM

Thanks for all the help. The one that that I was not doing is the servo reversing and sub trim BEFORE the pitch numbering + -. So the setup that I have is something like.

Throttle Reverse Normal
Aileron Reverse Normal
Elevator Reverse Normal
Rudder Reverse Normal
GYRO Reverse Normal
Pitch Reverse Reverse *** this was causing the issues with swash plate not doing the right things.
Aux2 Reverse Normal

Swash Plate 3 x 120
Aileron -50
Elevator -50
Pitch -50

Will be trying this out for real soon and will get back.

jjjperformance 06-28-2014 12:04 PM

Ok, first try, I had the pitch reversed, hell took off when throttled down, lol. Had to hand catch it 2 times. Good news it is flying straight up pretty much. So changed the pitch (updated last post) and now it has negative pitch while spinning up and eventually lifts but then right down again when I back off the throttle just a bit. So have the following questions...

1) In normal flying mode, should the pitch ever go negative?
2) Assume I have to change the pitch curve a bit in normal mode so increase pitch sooner in the curve and not so negative? Right now it is default.
3) With copters like this one, what would be a good pitch curve for normal / beginning flight mode?

Thanks for all the help, we are close.

madmorgan 06-30-2014 12:40 AM

Most people like to get +10 -10 in idle up 1 and 2 modes going by that when you check pitch ensures you have equal travel on swash / its mechanically centered . You will only adjust the pitch range from 50 to get them numbers. However i would refer to the manual and see what it recommends for max pitch range. The other 2 ie elevator and aileron will adjust servo throw. I have read that +17 total before you start bogging the blades down but the pros dont go by them numbers at all lol. So if you are in idle up 1 (with motor c ables disconnected ofcourse) push throttle all the way up put on pitch gauge and check pitch getting the flybar level will give most accurate results or get a digital pitch gauge then depending on where the blades are positioned like 90 from frame or aligned with boom you would give max elevator or aileron input and see what the total is. Then adjust so you get 16 to 17. I can only get accurate reads with digital gauge as the regular ole pitch gauges only go to like 13 or so. After you get the max upper and lower pitches. Go back to normal mode and leave +10 or drop pitch curve down to around 7 or 8 0 at mid stick and i like -3 on low side . This ensures that when you are coming in for landing that you arent dropping down like a brick. So - 3 low throttle 0 mid stick +7-10 full. Should work nicely.