RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter Beginners Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/)
-   -   old guy wants to try helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/11658145-old-guy-wants-try-helicopters.html)

rayfan70 12-18-2018 10:20 AM

old guy wants to try helicopters

After some reading it looks like a lot of people say a coax is really a waste of time. But I would think it would be great as a first copter just to get a general feel and learn orientation. Or should I start with a fix pitched? I am looking at a Blade mCX2 coax and a XK K110. Both seem to have great reviews.Need opinions on where to start.

Mgfiest 12-19-2018 04:34 PM

spend money on a simulator software before venturing a fixed pitch heli. with today's new micro helis have safe mod, in a nutshell it like flying coax but it lets you grow to a fp. blade has a nano cps and get a good radio that you can keep up with the new technology. good luck

Rockin Heli 03-01-2019 08:23 PM

Never to old

Can you still see ? Then get a little blade coax helicopter and have fun, but be smart and train with a simulator first, you will be glad you did this instead of wasting all your money flying a 300 plus dollar machine that you will have to keep repairing. When you get your basics down then you will want to fly a bigger helicopter and thats when you will feel really younger, have fun my brother.

BMR3 08-04-2019 09:30 AM

I recommend starting with a clam indoor platform like the MCX2. Its a lot of fun to fly around the house and you can practice anytime your home. Its a blast to fly my MCX2 around while still groggy in the morning, sipping some coffee. Plus if the wind is dead still (I mean zero breeze) you can fly in the backyard for a little extra space.

Once you decide you want something more challenging, get a simulator and start messing around with other styles of heils. Trust me, you cant got wrong with a MCX2 ;) plus the grand kids can play with it too

u8at711 09-11-2019 07:53 AM

Go into the Helicopter event forum area, find a fun fly in your local area, then ask the people in the pilot registration area about wanting to try out flying with buddy box.
this will get you set up with a experienced trainer, and most likely you will be flying a machine that same day. I attend every fun fly that I'm able to, and usually always have a way to let someone new or who has interest in flying,
Let them fly my machine, We use 2 radios, so if the model is going to be crashed, control will be switched over to the experienced pilot to give proper flight corrections.
OR, someone will hand you a transmitter and their laptop and you can spend some time using a simulator.

You will be able to enter the raffle, in most cases you could even possibly win your first Helicopter there, The first event that I attended I actually won a machine valued over 1300$.
If you don't partake in the fun, then it's great to watch,
Almost every Helicopter pilot I know is easily approachable, and you can talk to them. ask them questions. We all started at the same skill level, NO skill..