RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter Beginners Forum (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/)
-   -   direct drive vs shaft or belt drive (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-beginners-forum-165/4416498-direct-drive-vs-shaft-belt-drive.html)

flash over 06-21-2006 07:31 PM

direct drive vs shaft or belt drive

I've been flying my blade cx for quite a while now.I've also been trying to fly my blade cp, as well as flying the trainer heli on G3.My cp isn't near as stable(I would call it unstable,as I am having great difficulty making it hover) on the tail rotor as the G3.I've also noticed that there is some lag time waiting for the cp tail rotor to spin up to make corrections. I guess my question is would a bird with a belt or shaft drive tail rotor be more stable on the tail rotor thereby making it easier to fly?I want to stay with a smaller electric,as I have access to a 4 bay garage with a 16 ft. roof to fly in.

By the way I can fly the G3 trainer around quite successfully.I've even looped it.

Also I'm always making the blades on my cx contact each other during quick heading changes.Any ideas for making them stiffer?

BarracudaHockey 06-22-2006 10:39 AM

RE: direct drive vs shaft or belt drive

There's advantages and disadvantages to both designs most dealing with cost, complexity and maintenece.

In flight they pretty much feel the same. Any tail rotor helicoper you have to wait for the tail to reach operating RPM before it becomes effecting, starting on grass or ashphault its not an issue, I suppose spooling up on smooth concrete might cause problems, take off from a piece of astro turf carpet if it is.

flash over 06-23-2006 05:38 PM

I can handle lift off it's while in hover that I have problems.It will not stay put like the trainer on G3.

AJsToyz 06-23-2006 06:22 PM

I've got a little FP Rotofly with tail rotor issues. When you can get the motor to stay running it seems to fly very nice. My problem is the motors for this thing are junk. I had nothing but problems with my original one , and the replacement lasted two days. I'm going belt driven then its just changing the pitch , should be alot better.

jh4db536 06-25-2006 09:25 PM

Flashover,

what you are feeling in g3 is probably the HH gyro. the tail will not spin ever unless you tell it to, it will respond immediately and very consistently upon any rudder input, pirorate/response is adjustable..it's like fly-by-wire for the rudder channel. that is the advantage in properly setup HH gyro and single motor heli.

i flew one of those tail motor heli and even a BCX for the first time and those tails are vastly inferior, you gotta like hold the damn rudder for it to move, i found that extremely hard to fly and i thought the BCX was the hardest, then a Sabre/walkera4, and then my Trex/x400. i can deal with the rate gyro, but the lack of response i cant handle it.

it sounds like youre hitting the limits of your CX. i heard that tail response is improved on the BCP if you go direct drive.

flash over 06-28-2006 04:23 PM

So is the HH(heading hold?) gyro adjustable in that I would turn it down as my skills get better.How is it different from the gyro in my 4in1 or is it just more effective.If I buy the T-rex can I(or should I even consider) using my tx from the bcp?

Raylon 06-28-2006 04:30 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: flash over

So is the HH(heading hold?) gyro adjustable in that I would turn it down as my skills get better.How is it different from the gyro in my 4in1 or is it just more effective.If I buy the T-rex can I(or should I even consider) using my tx from the bcp?
HH is Heading Hold. No, most never turn it down, it would be a pain to turn it off, it would be like flying a CP with the gain turned all the way down. It is a standalone device that sits right near the start of the boom on most heli's, as far as I've seen. It is much more effective than the 4-1. An no, pretend you don't even have your BCP controller. You deffinently need a new one.

flash over 06-28-2006 04:36 PM

So I need to figure in a new radio.What would you suggest as an economical heli radio.Currently for my fixed wing birds I have Futaba and Hitec.But since I'm buying a whole new system anyway I guess it really doesn't matter.Is the Futaba gy401 a HH gyro.Is any gyro a heading hold gyro.It seems to me that they are interchangable terms.

hydravien 07-01-2006 11:33 PM

i think what you are noticing is that your helis have a fixed pitch tail. to make any adjustments, the tail motor rpm has to change. since the blades have quite a bit of inertia, this is responsable for your lag that you are feeling.

shaft and belt driven helis have collective pitch tails. the blades angle varies using a dedicated servo for the tail. this is much more accurate and faster than a motor driven tail.

not all gyros are hh so watch out which ones you pick.

if you want an electric heli, i would consider the trex or the shogun v2 but more towards the trex. it may be a bit big for your garage but it will handle wind better.

a good beginner radio would be the futaba 7chp or eclipse 7, if your willing to take more of a dive you could get the 8103 and last but not least the 9303 or 9chp.

if your trying to save $ you can go for the gy240, but its not much cheaper than the 401, and you can use the 401 in bigger helis as your skill progresses.

flash over 07-02-2006 06:38 PM

Thanks nick I have done some research on hh and now understand it better.Thanks for the ideas on radios as I hadn't been able to find many choices.And your right the difference in price and wt. between the 240 and the 401 is negligible.I don't understand why futaba made the 240.

BarracudaHockey 07-03-2006 12:49 PM

The 401 requires a channel just to set its sensitivity and that channel must have adjustable end points. A 240 lets you get by with a lesser radio or reciever.

The 401/9254 is the way to go for nitro unless you are a top end flyer, at 185 bucks its worth its weight in gold.

As for terminology AVCS, Heading Lock and Heading Hold are all one and the same thing.