Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Bone head move

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 02:21 PM
RC RedHots

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bone head move

Done a real bone head move this weekend!

I went out to fly my 450 Blue Ray that I have had no less then 100 flights on it.

It was windy, and I mean windy, I was showing off for a visitor and the area I fly in is surrounded by trees.

I knew I needed to stay below the tree line because of the wind, and the bone head move was I went above the trees and the wind sucked this little helicopter like it was a cotton ball.

I was in full negative pitch and that didn't help.

With in 3 to 4 seconds it was gone! And I mean gone!

We looked for about 2 to 4 hours some open fields, (thought we knew) what direction it may have went, no luck!

Next day spent about 3 more hours walking the woods and trails and also no luck!

So bottom line it will be a cold day in ( fill in blank) before I every fly any of my helicopters on a day like that.

The part that's so bad............ is it isn't the first time I flown on a day like that.

I guess my luck run dry.

Not looking for a pity party, just have you every had that happen?

Some way some day I am going to come up with a tracking device.

It also had a lipo alarm on it and who knows how long with no load will it take if it wasn't damaged to every go off.

I sure some nice person will return it.

Oh the above line is a joke HA HA

And no I didn't have my address inside of it, change canopy a few weeks back.

RC REDHOTS

Old 01-10-2011, 04:04 PM
sportboater
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Bone head move

Sucks man....hopefully you learned this go around. I am a weather watcher.I check the local weather and avoid gusty days. Less than 7 mph on my 450, 10 mph on my 500 and 12 mph on my 550.I am really picky about when/where Ifly because Ijust don't have the bank to laugh off a crash.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:18 PM
RC RedHots

Oh i did! Learn
But I can't say never, because no such thing of never.
But I am going to be real sure when I want to fly.
Real glad it wasn't my 600.
Maybe some day some hunter will find it and just maybe I will find it on my car port.
I also don't have the cash to just replace my toys it takes me a little at a time (OVERTIMEATWORK)
RCREDHOTS

Old 01-10-2011, 04:29 PM
bikemad

redhots, bad luck, how about printing some posters with a reward if found and put them on the trees, you never know, it's no good with out the controller, there is a radio tracker you can buy, I've seen it for sale some where,
what program were you in i.e. idle 1 or? just wondering as I've flown on days with 25+ mph winds and found as long as I was in an idle program I was ok, well that and using a kill switch to land,
how many mph was the wind,
Old 01-11-2011, 03:40 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: RC RedHots

Done a real bone head move this weekend!

I went out to fly my 450 Blue Ray that I have had no less then 100 flights on it.

It was windy, and I mean windy, I was showing off for a visitor and the area I fly in is surrounded by trees.

I knew I needed to stay below the tree line because of the wind, and the bone head move was I went above the trees and the wind sucked this little helicopter like it was a cotton ball.

I was in full negative pitch and that didn't help.

With in 3 to 4 seconds it was gone! And I mean gone!

We looked for about 2 to 4 hours some open fields, (thought we knew) what direction it may have went, no luck!

Next day spent about 3 more hours walking the woods and trails and also no luck!

So bottom line it will be a cold day in ( fill in blank) before I every fly any of my helicopters on a day like that.

The part that's so bad............ is it isn't the first time I flown on a day like that.

I guess my luck run dry.

Not looking for a pity party, just have you every had that happen?

Some way some day I am going to come up with a tracking device.

It also had a lipo alarm on it and who knows how long with no load will it take if it wasn't damaged to every go off.

I sure some nice person will return it.

Oh the above line is a joke HA HA

And no I didn't have my address inside of it, change canopy a few weeks back.

RC REDHOTS

Hey, very sorry to hear about the loss of your heli.. I fly my helis a lot in 20 - 30 Kt winds but always in a huge park in residential areas..

I know how you feel though because when I was 19 I had this beautiful 2.5meter glider that was my pride and joy.. I was so high in a thermal and it was going great.. I took my eyes off it for about 2 seconds to check my watch...

I never saw the glider again... andI mean never.. so you have my deepest condolences...

The irony was.. 12 years later I started working with our State Police Force in the Helicopter unit.. Often we would fly over model aircraft flying fields and one in particular.. we sighted so many LOST models in the tree tops that would have never been locatable from the ground..

On one occasion near Stanwell Park (a 600 ft cliff ) where lots of hang glider and slope soarer acitivity occurs.. We were able to land and retrieve 3 RCmodels in otherwise inaccessable areas.. only one had the name and telephone number of the owner and he was extremely happy when I called him.... and super impressed tha it had been rescued by Police Helicopter... (I told him I was an RCer and Iknew how it felt to lose one)

So fingers crossed your local Helicopter Police are just as helpful....

Safe flying..
Old 01-12-2011, 04:09 PM
TotalWreck

I would not let this go if it were me. I would find it. I live in NC also if I was close I would spend all day looking for it for you. This sucks. If you knew the wind direction, how big of a wooded are surounds where you were flying? lets look up some info maybe find out the direction the wind was blowing in your area on the day in question. I would bet it's close buy and in the top of a tree.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:27 PM
RC RedHots

Thanks All

As for the wind direction EAST.

Wind speed I will bet gusts up to 25 or 30 MPG

I have a friend that has a full scale plane and I just need to call him.

I have a idea in what area, but a 450 is like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

I have been out 3 times looking, I didn't give up.

But out of the 4 helicopters I fly that was the one I have had the most fun with.

My son said he was going to go look for it. And a small bribe was in place.

Thanks Again ALL

RCREDHOTS

Old 01-14-2011, 02:33 PM
RC RedHots

Update

I didn't find my 450, but I put out the word at the local airport.

And the guy I emailed said he would post it in the office and just by chance maybe someone flying over the area will spot it (HOPE)

RCREDHOTS