Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

OS 50 H Blown!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Stiches08
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 50 H Blown!

Flew today and my engine blew. piston and head damaged. seemed to be runnig fine and i had recently brought it to check the mixture and ot seemed to be running a tad rich. even dripping a lil fuel from the exaust.. leaned on click and took off again. flew for maybe 2 mins down to abt 1/2 tank of fuel and was gonna bring it in a check it again. abt 20ft high over the landing zone the engine quit abruptly and had to auto it to the ground. noticed a lil smoke coming from the heli. i pulled the plug and it was toast. wouldnt even turn over

i had jus up the head speed from 2000 to 2150 and noticed that when i pulled the engine that both bolts on one side of the engine mount had vibrated out and were gone. i did notice a lil more vibration when i brought it in the last time jus before it died. here are some pics of the engine.. im jus needing some help figuring out what happened. should i replace the parts and rebuild the 50 or opt for a new engine!

Jus really dont want this to happen again!!!

Old 01-16-2011, 11:12 AM
spog1

Default RE: OS 50 H Blown!

How's the rear bearing? This usually happens when it fails.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Stiches08

that is the first thing i checked... looks fine... i think it was due to bad vibration and sucking of air. leaned out bad!!
Old 01-18-2011, 04:46 PM
joeshmoe_44883
My Feedback: (2)

I got my trex 600 almost 2 years ago, it had a blown os 50 like yours. only mine had a nice hole in the piston along with a couple scratches in the liner. by the time i replace the connecting rod, piston, liner, piston ring, wrist pin and wrist pin clips, i was only about 50 bucks away from the price of a brand new engine with a warranty. you would have to replace all that AND the head. You could probably reuse the bottom end of the engine and just replace the piston, ring and liner. If i was you i would use it for an excuse to buy the new .55HZ that looks so bad *****. so bottom line here, you can order a new engine for pretty much the same price as parts, it'll take the same amount of time to get it shipped to your door as the parts, only difference is that you can bolt that motor in and be running in about a half hour. where your gonna have about 4 hours of cussing and fiddling trying to get everything just right in the rebuild. to me, it doesnt get any more black an white than that.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Stiches08

Just ordered the rebuild parts! only 67$. liner looked ok and i took a dremel tool to the head. looks like it will work jus fine. we will see in a few days when the parts come in..

And where do u get 4 hrs to rebuild a motor. i can disassemble and reassemble one in 15 mins easy. Most all nitro 2 strokes are the same and very strait forward.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:57 AM
joeshmoe_44883

Disassembly is easy, its getting the piston ring in the right spot to compress while you try to push the liner down without getting it on a bind. I also took my time, cleaned everything with carb cleaner and blew it out with compressed air. what did you get for $67?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:11 AM
B.T.D.T.

You have to find the pin on the piston ring groove. The ring opening will saddle that pin. That is how the ring will compress into the sleeve. Clean everything out and flush the bearings. At this point it would be better just to replace the rear bearing.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:30 AM
joeshmoe_44883

that was by far the hardest part of it, trying to keep it aligned, gettin it compressed, and then tryin to slide the liner down. hope i never have to do it again.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:32 AM
Stiches08

Got a new piston, ring, connecting rod pin( mine had a groove so figured I'd change it). New gaskets and new bearings. Should be here end of the week or so.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:01 AM
swashplate

ORIGINAL: Stiches08

Got a new piston, ring, connecting rod pin( mine had a groove so figured I'd change it). New gaskets and new bearings. Should be here end of the week or so.
Hey keep us updated, that is the most epic 0s 50 rebuild I have ever seen anyone undertake. I have seen a rear bearing replacement, I have opened mine up etc. But if you're successful, I will obviate so many of these "oh just get another engine" answers. Sure that's the convenient route, but we don't all always have $200 to toss around.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-24-2011, 10:04 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

A little bit of oil such at ATF or machine oil on the piston and ring help make that fit to the sleeve pretty simple.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:42 PM
Stiches08

Jus got the parts in today and finished the rebuild in maybe 20 mins. heated the case in the oven for 10 mins and the bearings fell right out.The engine has crazy compression. cant wait to run it!!Here are a few pics.