Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Base Loaded Antennas

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 05:38 PM
Jim Schwagle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Base Loaded Antennas

What are your general feelings about replacing the receiver antenna wire with the small base loaded antenna? I've heard some pros and cons and would like some feedback from experience.
Old 08-10-2003, 06:59 PM
bentvalve

Default base loaded ant.

hey i had one on my venture,thought it was fine.i started getting twitching.i asked my bubby what his thoughts was on this and he said put ant. wire back on,so we did twitching gone.he replaced the wire all of the way back into the rx.so i would probably not suggest that for anyone to do.don
Old 08-10-2003, 07:07 PM
rplumbo
My Feedback: (3)

I've used the Revolution whip antenna (which is base loaded) for about 8 gallons of fuel now, and I love it! I'm using a Futaba 8 channel PCM Rx, and so far so good. I've heard the Deans version is not as good as the Revolution.

Reid
Old 08-10-2003, 07:37 PM
twguns

I've been using the Revolution now for about 3 years on all my machines with very good results... No problems what-so-ever...

Just put them on as per the instructions and you must route them as if they were a normal antenna... You can't just put them anywhere, like some people think, they are still your antenna... You must route them away from "noise"...
Old 08-11-2003, 02:41 AM
Lynx

They're more prone to picking up local noise as a signal but if placed right with a decent reciever you should get lower, but compareable range out of it.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:20 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Been using them for 13 years, both the one and two piece Deans and the Revolution, like anything else don't assume that because it worked last flight it's still good. Do a range check before flying and a visual on the pin that you solder on, they break, and watch the blue potting on the Deans, if they are cracking the range starts to go down...
Old 08-11-2003, 04:57 PM
bentvalve

Default base loaded ant.

i think that was my problem,i was using the "deans blue"one.it lasted for 4 tanks.im sure that they work well but i will never again use one.don
Old 08-14-2003, 04:38 AM
Lynx

How they're hooked up matters big time, the solder joints need to be issolated from vibration as much as possible to avoid failure.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:38 AM
randy41

I thought it was against the AMA rules and most
club rules. You are not supposed to modify a receiver antena.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:22 AM
Lynx

There's following the rules, and then there's saying not to do something because it will cause the end of the world. Using a base loaded antenna fixes a 'problem' the some users have with ungainly antenna's. It's not better, worse, or dangerous. It's different that's all. Although it may be against AMA rules and technically it's probably against FCC rules considering the antenna is part of the RF broadcasting portion of the radio, changing it to any other part that was not type certified for use with that radio is technically illegal. It's also technically illegal in most places for ambulances to speed or run lights but you show me a cop that's going to arrest one for it =)