Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Chinook

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:47 AM
bigdogg1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chinook

Has anyone seen or built a dual rotor heli like a Chinook. If you have could you post pics and maybe a brief tale about size, how it flys etc. I have never seen or heard of any. Very curious.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:45 PM
defromage

Default RE: Chinook

I've also been looking for a Chinook-style helicopter.  I found the Syma S026/G on Amazon but I'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews on it in terms of longevity.

Does anybody have any experience with the S026 or S026G and can provide a review of it?  I've been playing with the S107 but I've been through one crash too many and I'm looking for my next one.  I wanted something different than what my coworkers had, which sent me towards the Chinook.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:36 AM
elite_ares

I ordered a Syma S022 from Amazon for about $52. Haven't received it yet.I've read decent reviews about this 18 inch long heli. They say it creates a wind storm from prop wash if flown indoors. Videos show it flown outside in very low wind conditions. Longevity of the motors is in question but for $50.... you can't really expect a lot.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:43 PM
jmann71

i have the E-flite MCX tandem. here is a link to horizon hobby http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLH2500.
But you can find them on ebay pretty cheap.

it flies great, but not out side unless it is dead calm. they are discontiued but they share parts with the MCX.

Jason
Old 04-15-2011, 05:07 AM
proffate61

I have the mcx and mcx tandem and they fly very differently and the tandem appears much bigger overall. The mechanics are different as there's no tail rotor so for pyro maneuvers and for for/aft movement it's done by speed differental between front and rear rotos - there's only one servo and it works for ailerons with linkage to both rotor heads.

I asked a similar question a while back and somebody linked to plans for a heli but nobody provided any lnks to flying tandems of a fp or cp nature.

I think a tandem 400 class CP heli would be most awesome. If you use clone 450 parts you could have all the mechanicals for under $300 - how you do the controls is gonna require some serious thinking, planning, trial and error.

Gimme 5 years and I'll give it a go - i'm just learning to fly my 450 at this point and that' sufficient challenge for the rest of this year.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Goran619
My Feedback: (2)

I've only seen videos on youtube

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFEfTGEe2xU[/youtube]
Old 04-16-2011, 06:52 AM
elanharper

i just bought a micro one off of ebay and it flys great no problems yet and it is made by syma and it is very durable heres the address cgi.ebay.com/Syma-S-026-3CH-RC-Helicopter-RTF-W-Gyro-Micro-Chinook-/180654525132and check his other helicopters my chinook flys great
Old 04-16-2011, 07:08 AM
proffate61

apparently it's this one in the video http://model.hirobo.co.jp/products/0...4/0406-904.htm

several models, but all are out of stock. $2500-3200 range.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:37 PM
mookiie

Have a look at this it uses trex components.
http://www.tech-mp.com/kits.php I do not work for them or have any affiliation with the company.
I have thought about building one.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:56 PM
jmann71

ok guys, how about this one. http://www.scalerchelis.com/phpBB2/v...&hilit=chinook.

very nice.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Goran619

I've only seen videos on youtube

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFEfTGEe2xU[/youtube]
I've watched the first 17 seconds of this video 4 times. It just amazes me how those blades don't hit each other. I can't imagine how much engineering it took to make sure that both main rotors are going the EXACTsame speed always.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40
I've watched the first 17 seconds of this video 4 times. It just amazes me how those blades don't hit each other. I can't imagine how much engineering it took to make sure that both main rotors are going the EXACT same speed always.

There is only ONE power source (one engine) and both rotors are powered from it by a shaft and transmission that joins both. The speed of one rotor is equal to the speed of the transmission and shaft that is also equal to the speed of the second rotor. If they do come off timing you already know what would happen, but then you have a mess inside already. Have you ever seen the inside of the real thing?

Rafael
Old 05-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: Rafael23cc

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40
I've watched the first 17 seconds of this video 4 times. It just amazes me how those blades don't hit each other. I can't imagine how much engineering it took to make sure that both main rotors are going the EXACTsame speed always.

There is only ONE power source (one engine) and both rotors are powered from it by a shaft and transmission that joins both. The speed of one rotor is equal to the speed of the transmission and shaft that is also equal to the speed of the second rotor. If they do come off timing you already know what would happen, but then you have a mess inside already. Have you ever seen the inside of the real thing?

Rafael
Thanks for explaining! And no I haven't seen inside one. I was in the Air Force for 4 years, but my bases were onlyF-15/16 bases and I didn't spend any time around Helis.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:34 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spent 9 years in the Army. My last deployment was to Iraq in 2003/2004 in support of the 101st Airborne. All of their Chinooks and Blackhawks were at our base camp. The attack helicopters were at another base camp. We got to spend a lot of time inside them flying around. Also got to visit the maintenance facility on the base camp. Got a good education on how they work.

Rafael
Old 05-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: Rafael23cc

Spent 9 years in the Army. My last deployment was to Iraq in 2003/2004 in support of the 101st Airborne. All of their Chinooks and Blackhawks were at our base camp. The attack helicopters were at another base camp. We got to spend a lot of time inside them flying around. Also got to visit the maintenance facility on the base camp. Got a good education on how they work.

Rafael
Thats awesome!