Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Charger output

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Goran619
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charger output

Ijust purchased a EOS0720i Net3 AD, and everything Iread Ishould be able to charge 20a max. Well Ihave 2 Align 6s 5200mah batteries and when Igo to charge them using an AC outlet it will only put out no more than 3.6a. Iwent through and changed the amp output for this battery in the charger to 10a and it still only puts out 3.6a. I plug it into the truck battery with the truck running and there is 14v DC and then Ican get about 6.5a output. Why do they say you can charge at 20a and I cannot get this output. Am Idoing something wrong? Or since its a high voltage battery do Ijust have to deal with a lower ampre output using a wall outlet? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Jordan

Old 06-07-2011, 02:53 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Charger output

All chargers have a max current AND a max power. (whichever comes first) You have probably reached your max power.

3.6 amps with 25 volt pack = 90 watts I am not familiar with the specific charger , but I would guess that it is a 90-100 watt max on AC power. Your dc max might be something higher.

I find the charger, it is 90 watts and 150 watts ac dc. http://www.hyperion-world.com/produc...0720iNET3-ADEU

Old 06-07-2011, 04:58 PM
rotor09

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Charger output

Watts is a function of Volts x Amps. So if that is a 90 watt charger on AC power, then you can charge a 1 cell (3.7V) battery at 20 watts. As a single cell is charged to about 4.2V when fully charged. Then a charge at 20 amps would require 84 watts (4.2 x 20).

In order to charge a 6 cell pack at 20 amps you would need a charger (and power source) that could handle 4.2 x 6 x 20 = 504 watts. That would be one honking charger that would cost a lot more then what you paid for yours. And the AC power source would also cost a pretty penny.

So in a nutshell, on AC, that charger will charge a 1 cell pack at 20 amps or a 6 cell pack at 3.6, as both would need the 90 watts it is capable of delivering.