Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Throttle Jockey And Optical Sensors

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Throttle Jockey And Optical Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 05:38 AM
staraero
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Jockey And Optical Sensors

Hi Guys,

Just received my optical sensors from Model Avionics for my throttle jockey governors. Mounted an optical sensor with the six channel throttle jockey unit. The performance was just as good as with the magnetic sensor. The optical sensor was very easy to mount with the hardware supplied. No need to drill the mount for any size engine, and it mounted neatly in a raptor 30 and 50 fan area without touching the plastic frame anywhere.

I have switched from the GV-1's, and am now running all throttle jockey governors in my helicopters. The over all performance is just much better then the old GV-1. The GV-1 is a good governor, the throttle jockey is a great governor. It simply responds faster then the GV-1 with hard and fast collective changes. You will get no engine lag or reving of any kind with the throttle jockey installed. It also is about 1/4 the size of the GV-1. Makes it much easier to work with when building the radio compartment up.

If you are in the market for a governor check out the throttle jockey at:

http://www.modelavionics.com/

The cost of the throttle jockey is about half of the GV-1, and it performs better at holding engine RPM hands down. The standard model has on off and two speed control. There is also a very simple version of the throttle jockey for use with any six channel radio system radio.

The six channel unit holds one selected rotor speed perfectly. The six channel unit can be used with 7, 8, and 9 channel radios of course. I personally prefer the six channel version. You can install the six channel throttle jockey mounted, setup, and flying in about 15 to 20 minutes no sweat.

I am using both the magnet sensor and the optical sensor. Either one is very easy to mount with the hardware supplied in the package that comes with the throttle jockey. Any questions about either unit direct them to Paul Beard at:

[email protected]

Again, if you are in the market for a governor system at a great price, contact a dealer or direct your questions to Paul Beard at Model Avionics. The dam thing really works great. You won't be dissapointed.

STARAERO
Old 08-23-2003, 05:43 AM
Lynx

Optical sensors can get gooked up though. Magnetic one's can't. It's just one more failure point with optical's.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:01 AM
staraero

Default Optical Sensors

Hi,

I agree with you about optical sensors. I got the optical sensors just to try them. I prefer the hall magnetic sensor. The one that comes with the throttle jockey is just as easy to install as the optical and works flawlessly.

I have never had a problem with an optical sensor, but have heard stories of some causing trouble.

Staraero
Old 08-23-2003, 11:55 AM
raptor_dude

FYI..the more information/opinions the better.

http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t60244p1/

http://www.rotory.com/ubbthreads/sho...5116#Post25121

http://www.rotory.com/ubbthreads/sho...b=5&o=&fpart=1
Old 08-23-2003, 06:17 PM
Lynx

It's not a performance issue, it's just that after a long period of time dirt is bound to build up on an optical sensor, or some fluke piece of leaf or something else could lodge itself in there during flight. Not likley of course, but just something to keep in mind.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:21 AM
staraero

Default Optical Sensor

Hi Lynx,

I understand the problems you point out using optical sensors. It is unlikely these things will happen, however because it is possible the magnet type is most likely the better choice.

The Throttle Jockey in any case will operate with either sensor perfectly. I am running the 6 channel version of the T.J. with both. As far as performance there seems to be no difference.

Staraero