Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Importance of joining AMA or a club...?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Importance of joining AMA or a club...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 03:04 PM
nateg417

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importance of joining AMA or a club...?

So was just reading some interesting discourse in other areas of the forum about clubs and joining the AMA especially for beginners. Now I was curious as to what you guys over here in the Heli forums tend to think (i was reading in the airplane section)? Definitely some good reasoning on why to join, but wondered how important or pertinent some of this is to us that fly helis, also for those who fly micro/mini size helis. I'm going to be just flying a mSRx for awhile and honestly paying close to $60 to join a club seems pretty steep being that that is a little less than 1/2 the cost of the heli. I understand for those that fly larger size helis that having a dedicated safe place to fly is very important, but how important to someone flying something as small as an mSRx, or even a 120SR? Just hoping to open up some interesting and informative discussion! Thanks!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:08 PM
aydin3
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Importance of joining AMA or a club...?

join the park flyer scheme...half the price, similar benefits..even the little heils can cut deeply if they hit soft flesh...or pull out a lot of hair if they get caught up badly.....
Old 01-27-2012, 03:40 PM
bing44
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Importance of joining AMA or a club...?

Don't join a club or the AMA. Find a nice secluded road out in the country and fly to your hearts content. Save lots of money by doing this. The only thing you could possibly miss is camaraderie, and you should be able to find friends with like minds easily enough. I did. The AMA has grown into big business and I no longer support them. Same with EAA. Tom Poberezny gets over $800 thousand a year and he didn't do squat to get EAA started. Same thing is happening in the AMA. The AMA mags are now littered with ads..........what happened to the no ads philosophy that was prevalent in the 80s? At the end of my last membership the magazine went from the mailbox to the bird cage.

As for safety: just stay away from houses a minimum of 800 feet if you ever get into larger helis. I flew my 120SR into myself while in my hangar and it didn't leave a mark. No liability there.

I'm probably a minority in here but I don't care. This is how I feel.

jim

ORIGINAL: nateg417

So was just reading some interesting discourse in other areas of the forum about clubs and joining the AMA especially for beginners. Now I was curious as to what you guys over here in the Heli forums tend to think (i was reading in the airplane section)? Definitely some good reasoning on why to join, but wondered how important or pertinent some of this is to us that fly helis, also for those who fly micro/mini size helis. I'm going to be just flying a mSRx for awhile and honestly paying close to $60 to join a club seems pretty steep being that that is a little less than 1/2 the cost of the heli. I understand for those that fly larger size helis that having a dedicated safe place to fly is very important, but how important to someone flying something as small as an mSRx, or even a 120SR? Just hoping to open up some interesting and informative discussion! Thanks!