Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Need help deciding on new heli...

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Need help deciding on new heli...

Old 05-16-2012, 06:13 PM
speedster00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help deciding on new heli...

I've been flying a lama v3 for a few years. I haven't flown it in a while since I got bored with it and thought about buying something bigger I could fly outside. I like the walkera v400 and v200 but it's hard finding them in stock. Club heli doesn't Cary them, and xheli is sold out of nearly everything. Any suggestions of what other similar helii's I should look at in the $200 range and where to get them?
Old 05-17-2012, 02:08 AM
rhampton
My Feedback: (66)

Default RE: Need help deciding on new heli...

you can try this web site. some are out of stock but they do have some nice ones.

http://www.kvhobbyshop.com/4-channel-rchelicopte.html
Old 05-17-2012, 04:31 AM
ATVAlliance

Not familiar with the heli in question, but if I only had a 200 dollar budget...I'd buy a Blade mCPX.

Its a 100(ish) size heli that is collective pitch and can definitely fly outside. Ive flown mine in 5-10MPH winds no problems. And it can do more than my ability at this point in the game. Plus...you can get parts/mods for it just about anywhere!

Its small enough to "toy" around with indoors and powerful enough to fly outside. So, best of both worlds!

Also...its tough as nails!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:11 PM
speedster00

I found a blade mcpx on Craigslist for $115 today. But I think that's smaller than I want to go. Xheli does have the v400 in stock with the devo transmitter but they also offer it for $50 cheaper with the 2403 transmitter....currently out of stock of course. Do I need the upgraded devo??? I. Not sure as I don't know the difference between them.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:31 AM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

you could almost get away with building your own clone 450 for about 200 the electronics wont be the best but hey as you get more money you can replace some of the stuff and have a decent bird. i never found anything wrong with the exi , the biggest buggaboos with the exi as far as i found were bearings, weak bolts, main and feather shafts soft, but on the other hand align parts will fit in with no problems. dont knock the mcpx before you flown it my trex 600 fbl, 500 esp, and blade 400 dont see much action since i got that lil guy and sold the exi to my brother.

as a matter of fact heres some clones you could build a 500 clone for about 225 bucks thats not including shipping or they have complete rtf kits. rx tx batt and bird
http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...ducts_id=11096

like i said replace with align as it craps out !
Old 05-18-2012, 06:57 AM
ATVAlliance

Like madmorgan...I too have a couple of EXI clones, a 450 and a 500.

Ive had the 450 for close to 2 years now and the 500 is coming upon a year now (also have a Raptor 50 V2 but thats beside the point somewhat).

The reason I recommended the mCPX is because up until I bought it...my flying skills were not improving much.  Unless you have seen a 450 or larger heli spool up and take off in person, you just cant understand how intimidating those spinning blades are...not to mention the damage they can and WILL do to your flesh if they come into contact with it!

Even though I could fly nice fast forward circuits on the SIM...even fly them inverted, I just couldnt bring myself to flying these larger helis because of the intimidation factor.  I mean I could hover, pitch pump somewhat and piro the heli...I still found myself just tooling slowly around back and forth.

I bought the mCPX about 6 weeks ago and am flying the blades off it!  It has done SOOOOOOOO very much to improve my abilities its unreal!  Its like flying the SIM, but in real life.

Also, even though its small, it is still relatively visible to fly it pretty far out and maintain orientation.

If you are a beginner and want to work your way up to larger helis, the mCPX is one of the better tools (along with a SIM) to get you there.

Im not saying you cant start out and fly a 450 like I am flying the mCPX right now, its just I couldnt do it and I needed a heli like the mCPX to come along to progress my skills.  I probably wouldnt need it as much as I do IF I had an instructor.  Its just I am the only heli pilot in our club and my 2nd club (several heli pilots there) is too far away to get to on a regular basis, and when I do get there the heli guys arent always there.  Its just been "bad timing" on that note.  So, ALL of my heli experience has been obtained from reading the forums and using my SIM.

Goodluck with whatever heli you decide on.  And if it ultimately ends up being the mCPX, Im quite sure you wont regret the purchase!

PS...I would steer clear from buying a used one since you are new.  Last thing you want to do is start out with something that might not be 100%.  Id go with the best deal on a new one you can find.  Also, it might be best to buy a BNF version and then buy a separate TX like a DX6i so you can take full advantage of the programming a programmable radio can offer.  Ive never flown mine with the DX4e that came with it.  I only bought the RTF version because I found a left over v1 RTF version for 160 bucks out the door at my LHS.  So, I thought Id save the 4e for my 6yr old son for when he starts flying next year.  I fly mine with a DX7.

Again, goodluck!

Old 05-19-2012, 06:20 AM
speedster00

Thanks for all the help guys. Very informative. I wouldn't say I'm brand new. I've been flying a few years but this will only be my second heli. A 450 clone definatelly interest me. I know align is pretty much the best but for now, that's outside my toy budget. If I could get one that size and build it up, that's definately a possibility. The walkera I'm looking at is a 400 size. One thing I've noticed is that box helicopters, ultimately get replaced with newer models but the 450, seems like the parts have been around forever and don't see that heli as going out of date persay. Thoughts on at or does it matter? For instance, my esky lama v3 is no longer around. And I'm afraid if I break it I won't be able to find parts.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:36 AM
speedster00

Madmorgan- I'm looking at the 450 kit link you provided above, is that everything ready to fly once it's built? I like the idea of building it but want to make sure I don't need to purchase any thing else with to make it fly.

also, what are yalls thoughts on set up? Is adjusting new servos and making this build a bird fly straight difficult?
Old 05-19-2012, 07:59 AM
rhampton

What about this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-45...item25709287b6

This one is with Electronics...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Stock-45...item2570ab15c4
Old 05-19-2012, 08:02 AM
rhampton

or if you really wanna go cheap..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-metal-pl...item4603bed6e3
Old 05-19-2012, 10:28 AM
speedster00

Thanks Hampton. The one you posted above with electronics looks good but it doesn't have the transmitter. Which Would cost a bit for a decent one. The 450se kit on ehIrobo for $189 appears all inclusive, I just have to build it.

I just have questions about setting it up. No issue building it, I'm just wondering about servo adjustment so it flys straight.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:43 AM
rhampton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onyhJLy2Z5c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vruLmt5EVxs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHmgiwdQFnw

I GOT THIS FOR $99 RTF with TX and already setup. Nothing was needed for me to do.
i dont know if the Vendor on ebay has them still. These were selling like hotcakes..but after checking out videos, go on ebay and see if u can still find it. i just got mine like a month ago....Loving it...now i put 500sz Skids on it..looks pretty cool.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:34 PM
speedster00

Nice review Hampton. I see some of them for sale called a 450p and some are a 450 v2. Any difference? I assume all of them can fly inverted correct? There is a used one like yours for sale that's pretty much new . The rest are in the $170 range. For that price, I'd pick up the copterx 450se from ehirobo and build it. It looks like a nice heli.... I just have to build it
Old 05-19-2012, 12:40 PM
speedster00

One other thing... The walkera v400 and the cx450 are nearly the same size and cost. But one thing that's swaying to the 450 is the fact that it's a clone and I know I could go to any shop and buy t-Rex replacement parts for it.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:03 PM
rhampton

Get the 450sz....cause you made a good point. You can always get Trex parts, or even Clone metal parts...it's a never ending project which is a good thing cause you will always have resources to build. Here's my Hausler 450 and i am actually loving it. I put 500 Skids on it to give it a more bigger appearance. lol.......Flies awesome and it will hover Inverted very easy. For $99 for a RTF,,,i'm really happy with it. Didnt need to upgrade NOTHING....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68841.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1764053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23214.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1764054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53613.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1764055  
Old 05-19-2012, 04:17 PM
madmorgan

i tell ya i wish they still had them 450 fbl kits for 145 bucks on ehirobo, on the other hand look around on that site you will find other kits and yes i believe without looking thats everything to get you going (might need a charger) but there again i cannot testify to any of the electronics. atv said he got the 500 electronics kit for his from there and they are pretty decent not the best but hey if hes still using all of the stuff then i dont see why it wouldnt be a good starter.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:45 AM
ATVAlliance

ORIGINAL: madmorgan

i tell ya i wish they still had them 450 fbl kits for 145 bucks on ehirobo, on the other hand look around on that site you will find other kits and yes i believe without looking thats everything to get you going (might need a charger)but there again i cannot testify to any of the electronics. atv said he got the 500 electronics kit for his from there and they are pretty decent not the best but hey if hes still using all of the stuff then i dont see why it wouldnt be a good starter.
The only thing I used from the 500 starter kit was the motor and servos.I already had an Align ESC and Align BEC. I also used a Detrym GY48V gyro over the one that they included. But, the things I did use are still working just fine. I just flew it yesterday...heres a pic

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ki20345.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	1764627  
Old 05-21-2012, 03:27 PM
rhampton

how is that GY48v. Do you actually have that on your Trex 500? are you satisfied with it?
i have one on the Esky 900..havent used it yet until it get these problems solved...i'm hoping it's just my tail...i may take the advise given above and just get a better one....if that doesnt work then i'll change the gyro out.....
Old 05-21-2012, 04:50 PM
ATVAlliance

The 2 48V's that I have work fine.  Im just now getting into forward flight / circuits.  I know some have stated that they arent that great of a gyro, and that might be true given you are trying to push it hard core.

But, for the type of flying I am doing...its fine.  Your milage may vary.  lol.  I realize this more now because I recently started flying an mCPX.  And in fff circuits...the tail holds, but once you start aggressively flipping the tail will blow out in an instance if you dont "massage the sticks" so to speak.  So, if the GY48V acts like the little mCPX gyro...I definitely will want a better one before I step up my game to flipping and rolling the bigger helis.

But, the 48V has gotten me to where I am now over the past 2 years.  Ive no complaints really and definitely have recieved my monies worth.  This all because I went it alone in learning to fly helicopters.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:52 PM
rhampton

ohh ok, thanks for that....yeah,,,,that gives me a little confidence to keep mine on there. People swear by these Gyros so your confirmations just adds to the pile...lol
Old 05-22-2012, 06:39 AM
ATVAlliance

ORIGINAL: rhampton

ohh ok, thanks for that....yeah,,,,that gives me a little confidence to keep mine on there. People swear by these Gyros so your confirmations just adds to the pile...lol
Even though I've been a proponent for these gyros on this board...I wouldnt make such a claim as to "swear" by them.Afterall, they are 12 bucks. Even though it would probably work on my Raptor 50 with the same results I have witnessed on my 450 and 500...I wouldnt dare put a 12 dollar gyro on a 1500-2000 dollar heli.

But this is not the case for you...so you should be good with the 48V till you start doing anything over basic hovering, piros and forward flight (fast and slow). I cant fly backwards circuits...but had an experienced heli flyer fly my 450 with this gyro backwards. He said that it wasnt that great for doing that and he had to constantly fly the tail. It looked fine to me, but I wasnt watching his thumbs either. SoI just took his word for it and he doesnt appear to be the BS'er type.

So again...use the 48V to get you trained, then switch over to something more appropriate for stepping up past the general "scale" type of flying at a later date. Thats what my plan is anyway.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:42 AM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

Years ago a guy gave me this advice and it's sound, "what ever you buy, make sure you can get parts for it. Make sure every part is available, because you never know when you need it."
Old 05-22-2012, 09:02 AM
madmorgan

thats the nice thing about the trex birds theres what 4 or 5 clone models for most of them so if you bought a exi from xheli you can use real / expensive replacement parts, you can use exi parts, tarot parts, copter x parts, hk parts, its funny how you go and try to find parts and align is always in stock and most of the others mentioned arent in stock. i have to think to myself are the trex followers actually buying the birds then putting the clone parts on? i bet they do but wont admit it. myself after 2 exi,s have decided what parts i would replace with clone parts and what align parts i would use on the clones.  this all makes it difficult to know what your actually getting from sellers on here, rcgroups, helifreaks, ebay. truth be told the 500 i bought is half cloned  but hey for 450 bucks with the good electronics on it it was worth the 450 i paid for it. i would like to think the seller was honest and it has align bearings, etc but how would you actually know unless you seen it come from a sealed align parts bag.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:52 AM
speedster00

I bought a Hausler 450V2 SE on ebay. not bad considering its RTF with a programable Rx. I wanted a 450 specifically for the coments above about replacemnet parts being everywhere for the 450 clones. Now I need to look at replacement blades knowing I'll break them, and extra batteries.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:15 AM
ATVAlliance

ORIGINAL: speedster00

I bought a Hausler 450V2 SE on ebay. not bad considering its RTF with a programable Rx. I wanted a 450 specifically for the coments above about replacemnet parts being everywhere for the 450 clones. Now I need to look at replacement blades knowing I'll break them, and extra batteries.
While you are looking at blades for your parts bin, you should consider grabbing the following to go in that bin as well...

1. main shafts(they come in 3 packs usually)
2. feathering shafts (also come in 2 or 3 packs usually)
3. tail rotor shaft
4. spare belt
5. flybar (if you didnt go the FBL route)
6. spare servos or rebuild kits for the servos you have
7. landing gear
8. misc bearings for the head and bearing blocks that hold the main shaft to the frame as well as the bearings inside the blade grips that the feathering shaft goes thru.
9. rubber bushings that go between the head and blade grips
10. tail boom

While you wont replaceALL of the above...you will at some point in time if you fly enough. What you WILL most likely need to replace in just about ANY crash will be...

1. main shaft
2. feathering shaft
3. tail rotor shaft
4. flybar
5. main rotor blades
6. tail boom

Ive only had 3 crashes with my 450 and I damaged the6 parts mentioned above every time! I stripped out all 3 cyclic servos on my first crash (couldnt hit TH quickly enough), but havent stripped any since upgrading to HS65MG's. Ive bent 1 aluminum boom and shattered 1 carbon fiber one. The tailboom survived my 3rd crash (carbon fiber). I actually bent a tailboom once on a hard landing...was the only thing damaged.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.