Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

How to apply corrections to transmitter stick fly ccpm helicopter

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

How to apply corrections to transmitter stick fly ccpm helicopter

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 09:25 PM
rcpilot1982

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to apply corrections to transmitter stick fly ccpm helicopter

One of the biggest problems i am facing trying to fly one of these. is not knowing how to handle the sticks,I read that you dont want to hold the stick in the direction in witch you want to make the correction because the heli will keep going that way.Therefore causing the helicopter to basically just keep rocking in each corrected direction.I try to fly my helicopter and what happens is i make a correction from witch ever way the heli is drifting,trying to bring it back to the center.Although all that seems to happen is that the heli goes into this dance in witch it will just keep swinging back and forth and left and right until the blades strike the wall.

Now am i supposed to just tap the stick in the corrected direction and then just let it bounce back to the center? because when i study flight videos,it seems that the pilot makes there correction like i do accept the machine stays in a stable hover.I understand about making very small stick movements but the helicopter just goes in to this never ending swing.

It seems absolutely unreal watching someone have one of these things in a stand still stable hover.When the heli happens to jump up to about eye level however at this point it seems to sit in one spot somewhat.But i let her down slowly because i dont want to mabo with it at this level.It seems to me that to put one of these in a stable hover i would have to basically quickly tap each correction into the stick and then let it go back to center??
Old 08-07-2012, 06:09 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: How to apply corrections to transmitter stick fly ccpm helicopter

Hovering a helicopter is like balancing a basketball on the tip of your finger. You're constantly flying it with small corrections much like you are with a steering wheel while driving down a road but anyone with a drivers license for a while does this without thinking.

That is what you're after when flying a heli, you're correcting for small movements over controlling and correcting that, thats the biggest obsticle for a beginner. Pretty soon you're taming down your corrections and "catching up" with the heli. When you really "get there" you're anticpating the corrections based on the wind and your feel or connection with the heli and it appears to be sitting in one spot without you doing anything.

In short, it's a lot of practice, and the most cost effective way to get that practice is with a decent simulator.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

am i supposed to just tap the stick in the corrected direction
If you're taping instead of holding the stick and smoothly moving it around, that might be your problem. Also maybe try putting in 25-30% expo in your controls so it will smooth it out.

Some people choose to use thumbs on their stick and others pinch their stick (that sounds dirty), personal choice. I pinch the sticks and find I fly smoother with greater control.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:25 PM
rcpilot1982

yeah using thumbs aint going to happen for me..lol...flying a ccpm heli to me seems like taking a top and spinning it and giving it continuous bumps to keep it from leaving the circle.That is my best comparison.My trouble with flight simulators is that the heli seems to raise up into a stable hover and i was able to fly around no problem.With a real ccpm heli...not a chance.The most i got with a real one is making it swing a little bit as i tried just tapping the controls.The simulator came with my hanger 9 p51 trainer plane.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcpilot1982

....am i supposed to just tap the stick in the corrected direction and then just let it bounce back to the center? ..........
........basically quickly tap each correction into the stick and then let it go back to center??.....
.....giving it continuous bumps to keep it from leaving the circle.....
.....i tried just tapping the controls......
You keep using these terms even after Goggles tried to give you some well placed advise. This is not a Nintendo Controller. There is no bumping, tapping, and letting it spring back to center. That is the fastest way to crash.

Smooth, precise, and controlled stick movements is what you want. NEVER let go the sticks.

If your helicopter is spinning wildly or tipping uncontrolably when you try to take off, then you need to have somebody look at your settings. With a heading hold gyro, proper headspeed, a balanced helicopter and a level surface, the helicopter should almost rise up vertically similar to the simulator. But we all know that there are slight deviations from a perfect world, so practice makes up the difference.

Rafael
Old 08-08-2012, 01:55 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'll second that. I've been flying a 450 and once I got the helicopter set up right it was actually pretty easy to keep it in a hover without losing control. If you feel like you are fighting the machine and seeing it do things you didn't tell it to do there is likely a problem in the machine itself.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:48 PM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

that is where  your mechanical setup really comes into play  remember when i was telling you how to setup your head, i fly with thumbs myself i tried to get the feel for the pinch with my mcpx and  the flight sims and it just isnt working for me. i dont care for neck strap much either which you pretty much need if pinching it.  also note that  where the sim helps you learn what the heli will do when you push the stick one way or another the fact remains and im sure everyone will agree on this one  that when your grttin r dun with the real thing theres something in the back of your brain saying man if you do something wrong your going to spend money !  its true but i found listening to headphones is relaxing me big time more than if i am just listening to the thwap of the blades and the motor singing its tune. stick with it you will get the hang of it  the more you do it the better you get.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:09 PM
rcpilot1982

so there is no letting it return to center.I read that if you hold the stick in the corrected position the heli will continue that way.It was nightflyer who recommended small taps in the corrected direction and return the sick to center
Old 08-09-2012, 12:26 PM
BarracudaHockey

You make small corrections, he's telling you not to let go of the stick and let it snap back.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:15 PM
rcpilot1982

ok well im going to take my cx 450 to the park.I just fit a Futaba 9257 on the tail and adjusted the travel.I hope the copter x gy240 is good enough because i heard its supposed to use a futaba 401
Old 08-09-2012, 08:22 PM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

yes the 401 and 9257 go hand in hand but that doesnt mean  you cant use a differant gyro with it  i have a quark pushing a 9257 on my 500 and it does fine
Old 08-10-2012, 07:02 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

.....I read that if ......
Forums and books are a good source for information. But until you actually see it, you are just INTERPRETING from the information provided, hence the situation where you are now. I STRONGLY suggest that you find a local flyer in your area to show you the ropes.

I suggest one of these websites to get you started.
[link]http://www.pilotlocator.net/[/link]
[link]http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx[/link]

Rafael
Old 08-10-2012, 07:05 AM
BarracudaHockey

ORIGINAL: Rafael23cc

.....I read that if ......
Forums and books are a good source for information. But until you actually see it, you are just INTERPRETING from the information provided, hence the situation where you are now. I STRONGLY suggest that you find a local flyer in your area to show you the ropes.

I suggest one of these websites to get you started.
[link]http://www.pilotlocator.net/[/link]
[link]http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx[/link]

Rafael
Definately!!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:08 PM
rcpilot1982

Hey guys i cant thank you enough.Today i had my first ever hover on a ccpm heli.I was stupid for going out today in the first place do to 20mph wind here in gloucester mass but i still accomplished 2 seprate hovers with 2 full batteries.As soon as i had my first lift off the wind grabbed the heli and pulled it about 40 feet away from me but i was still able to grab control and command it fighting the wind.You guys are correct in that it is hard learning ccpm setup on a forum but luckily i did because of your patience and instruction.I set this up perfectly on my own with no one to give me hands on security.The heli is setup perfect and lifted streight up only being manipulated by the wind.I assume having some expo would surely make it more docile but i still managed to control it and bring it down gently.I did take a few seconds to get used to the collective pitch system as it was a little snappy.