Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Battery help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 06:51 PM
SCOTT42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery help please

Hello all, so I just purchased a century predator carbon 90 nitro, it is set up with a double 7.4 Li-ion battery pack so makeing it 14.8 V. My question is? Is that normal? I was told the digital servos use a ton of juice and that was the best pack at the time it was flying wich was a few years ago. Could I or should I switch over to a 14.8 lipo now? How can I charge the Li-ion battery? and test it? I dont currently have a pic of the battery but I do have a pic of the heat disapator, or heat sink i guess its called? That it plugs into. Im looking to hopely set this up so one day I can fly it with the right teachings.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35598.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1788016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98246.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1788017  
Old 08-01-2012, 04:16 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts
Default RE: Battery help please

Thats not a 14v system, its a parallel 7.4 volt system with double the capacity (flight time) and redundancy. Plug up a 4 cell Lipo and you'll let the smoke out.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:31 AM
SCOTT42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, thats why I ask. Now is that battery what everyone else is useing now, or is there something better?
Old 08-01-2012, 04:56 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

There's lots of choices. If the batteries are good, go ahead and use them, there's guys using them and they work just fine.

Lots of folks are using Lipo's and a voltage regulator, some use A123.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:20 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a Fromeco Regulator. I have several Arizona Regulators made by Fromeco in my helicopters. Since I have a little older equipment, I prefer not to use LiFe yet as I slowly upgrade my equipment (by attrition) then I might look into LiFe in the future and do away with regulators altogether.

To charge a LiIon you can use the same settings as to charge a LiPo. Set the voltage (7.4v) then the capacity, and watch it go. Best is that they are not as volitile as the LiPos.

Rafael
Old 08-17-2012, 07:36 AM
chris6414
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use those same regulators. The connector on the side is for adjusting the voltage. I run mine at 5.1 but I believe they will adjust up to 6V. You just short the pins and have a meter hooked up. Each tap of the pins brings the voltage up and down.