Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Recommend me a new heli

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 03:56 PM
j0e331

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend me a new heli

A little backround on me and flying helis. Id consider myself a beginner still. The only heli i have is a blade cx2. Im pretty good at flying it, which is why im here. Im looking for the next step in my helicopter flying but im not sure what to go with

I love the 3d helis, but im sure thats way above my skill level. I been looking at the Blade 450 3dRTFkit, but im afraid of getting it and it being far to hard for me to fly.i have flown 3d helis in the flight sim at my local hobby shop and i can do basic flying pretty well with that, but im not sue how close that is to a real 3d heli.....

Im looking for any recommendations on what some experienced people think my next step should be. I also want something that can fly outdoors, my cx2 cant handle the outdoors unless theres absolutely no wind, and thats something i dont like about it. Also, id like something thats RTF as i dont have a bindable reciever or anything on my own id need to use a BNF kit. Also looking to keep the price around $450 max

Thank you in advance

Hide Signatures
Old 08-28-2012, 10:04 PM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Recommend me a new heli

mcpx  and a dx6  or 7
Old 08-29-2012, 07:47 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I haven't been in the heli game very long, but what is said in planes applies to these spinny things too- bigger flies better. A quality 450 with the training gear attached will handle light winds just fine and will keep you interested for as long as you want to be. For close to your budget you could have a T-Rex 450 or Blade 450 ready to go from the links below, or if you shop around a bit and buy used you could have an all metal T-Rex with probably a DX6i radio for about the same price, hopefully with a couple of good batteries included. I'll suggest that if you buy one of the ones below, go ahead and plan for two extra batteries.

http://www.helipal.com/trex-450-plus-rtf.html

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...3d-rtf-BLH1600
Old 08-29-2012, 09:51 AM
madmorgan

bigger isnt always better  the mcpx can fly in some pretty strong winds!  its very resistant to crashes  the way i see it if i crash my mcpx i push the pinion back on  check to make sure the main blade grip links are still there and not broken  set back up and fly. you wreck that big ole 450 and your probably replacing the main shaft, feather shaft , blades ,torque tube, boom etc etc  do you see where im going with this? all of them repaires are money and down time  and after you see how the mcpx flies and repaires quickly and easily and how fast you learn flight  is unreal !  i wouldnt trade 2 trex's  of any size for my stock mcpx !  ask anyone who owns one they will tell you its probably the best training cp fbl bird out there !

but there again its your cash  do with it what you will  JUST MY .02
Old 08-29-2012, 12:41 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Good to hear they fly well, madmorgan. I've been thinking about one myself.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:44 AM
j0e331

I appreciate the suggestions. Honestly im not into the micro helis.

I went down to my local hobby store and talked to the guys in there. They were poiting me towards the blade SR. What do you guys think about that heli? 

Im open to all opinions, i am fairly new and im not sure the progression steps people take with helis
Old 09-01-2012, 11:41 AM
madmorgan

im tellin ya you wont regret getting a mcpx  but hey its your cash   stay away from cp pro ! personally why waste the  money on a mid range when you can jump right on into a full cp bird that is very forgiving ! the boys at your lhs will point you at a sr  why because they know the odds if you get into flying then you just spent x amount of money for something you will probably get bored with and master in a few weeks  . then you have to spend another 200 bucks or more for a cp bird. if you have bad eyesight then maybe a micro isnt for you but im serious and others will agree with me about the mcpx as far as learning faster and lower costs to keep it in the air. 
Old 09-01-2012, 11:42 AM
madmorgan

oh and you can fly that lil guy inside when the weather is crap too  and guess whats right around the corner !
Old 09-01-2012, 06:04 PM
j0e331

Im gonna go check out a mcpx tomorrow. After looking at the parts prices and stuff, i see why you would recommend this.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:13 PM
john josey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mcpx is a fantastic little helicopter or if you want something a bit bigger then the 130x would be my choice. The 130 is not quite as crash resistent as the mcpx, but still way, way better than any 450 on the market. I have an x-cell furion 450 and the 130x flies as good if not better than that.

If your wanting to learn to fly a 'proper' CP helicopter then you'll be hard pushed to beat the mcpx though !
Old 09-02-2012, 02:20 AM
madmorgan

if you do decide to get one there are a few mods that will benefit  nothing to time consuming. the best one is to make your own tail boom as the stocker will break. i cannot remember the diameter of the cf rod to get but make it a solid boom (which can be done when the stock breaks) and you will spend alot less time monkeying with it. and truthfully all that aluminum people are dressing theirs up with  doesnt really affect it . all it does is bling it out. the aluminum swash is probably the only thing that matters but isnt needed.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:13 AM
j0e331

Thanks a lot guys. Im actually about to go out and buy the mcpx v2 if i can find it i stock somewhere.
I watched a lot of videos on youtube about this heli and i see why people are saying to get it. Looks very stable and very resistant to breaking. Which is what im looking for
Old 09-02-2012, 04:05 PM
j0e331

Well i got my mcpx and all i can say is wow. Its a great heli to learn on. Im very very happy i didnt go with a bigger heli. Its already took its share of wrecks since i am learning on it and i only managed to lose one of those links that go from swash plate to rotor head....

Quick question, as im new to CP helis, what blades would you suggest i use to make learning easier
Old 09-02-2012, 05:01 PM
john josey

ORIGINAL: j0e331

Quick question, as im new to CP helis, what blades would you suggest i use to make learning easier
Do you mean between the two sets of blades that come with the helicopter, with or without leading edge weights ?

I personally didnt find any major advantage with either, i changed to the pure white blades from KBDD because they are so much better for orintation at a distance.

Every time you crash your mcpx put $100 in a tin....thats how much this little gem will have saved you !
Old 09-02-2012, 05:09 PM
madmorgan

congrats best thing to do is get some fishing line and tie them links make a knot on one and leave some play but not much and tie a knot to the other link  they will break once in a while but most of the time i lose em. i have tried painting em orange but that doesnt work well. google mcpx mods/ fixes theres lots of pics n reading.also the hardest thing ppl struggle with is lift off, i recommend after you plug in the batt is to set it down  and waggle the right stick then spool up. at a certian point you will know the more you fly it is to just punch it and get it in the air. have fun  oh and should you find yourself getting more batts  there are better options out there than the eflight  and they are dirt cheap.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:27 AM
j0e331

What batteries would you recommend?
Old 09-03-2012, 10:35 AM
j0e331

Well i had a little mishap with a wall today and i broke my swashplate.... Should i just get a stock replacement one, or should i upgrade to one of those auminum ones so it wont break again?
Old 09-03-2012, 01:39 PM
john josey

It was the rear ball that broke off ?

The rod that goes to that rear ball is the only rod that does not have a bend in it, there for no 'give' and the ball breaks off. I never broke the stock swashplate but i replaced it with the ali one as i new it was only a matter of time.

As for batteries, i found the e-flight to be the best overall. There still going when all the cheaper ones have long since been thrown away.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:31 PM
j0e331

Yes it was the rear one that broke off.

With the aluminum swashplate, is it hard to get set back up correctly? On my blade cx2, i switched to a aluminum swashplate and had a very hard time getting it to hover good again. Took lots of adjutment, not sure why. I dont want the same headache with my mcpx
Old 09-03-2012, 07:28 PM
madmorgan

no just make sure you check them balls on the swash  i checked mine (microheli) and it had no loctite and it was assembled new in the package. i have thunderpower packs they do well  i know hobbyking sells  packs for dirt cheap too
Old 09-04-2012, 01:50 PM
j0e331

Thanks for all the help guys. I just ordered a microheli alum. Swashplate so hopefully i get that in a few days and im back up and flying.

I also ordered the training gear, so hopefully that will help me learn a bit quicker and have less stuff breaking or lost
Old 09-04-2012, 02:23 PM
john josey

ORIGINAL: madmorgan

no just make sure you check them balls on the swash i checked mine (microheli) and it had no loctite and it was assembled new in the package.
Yeah, mine was the same.

Dont worry about set=up, there is simple checks to make sure all is well........we'll get you sorted in no time if it becomes an issue.

I alone have 26 or so years experience building, setting-up and flying model helicopters and even competed in FAI F3C at national level with these two back in the mid 1990's.

And you can multiply that experience on here by probably hundreds. You seem keen tolearn and are taking onboard what has been advised so far and asking all the right questions. So please dont worry about too much about any issues you come up against as we almost certinaly have already been through those issues and found a solution.

You'll soon be giving the best a run for their money.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:59 PM
j0e331

Thanks for the encouragement. I am determined to learn to fly this heli good. The one thing i really want to do is be able to fly inverted, i know my skills are nowhere near there at this point, but that is my goal

I only questioned the set up diffulculty because my cx2, i could never get it to fly in a solid hover. I tried messing with it a lot, got it close, then it got the "toilet bowl effect". It was so frustrating that i stopped flying it for the longest time.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:47 AM
john josey

ORIGINAL: j0e331

Thanks for the encouragement. I am determined to learn to fly this heli good. The one thing i really want to do is be able to fly inverted, i know my skills are nowhere near there at this point, but that is my goal

I only questioned the set up diffulculty because my cx2, i could never get it to fly in a solid hover. I tried messing with it a lot, got it close, then it got the "toilet bowl effect". It was so frustrating that i stopped flying it for the longest time.

Your mcpx will be great for teaching you to fly inverted when the time comes. If you can fly over long'ish' grass, you probably wont break it at all.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:06 AM
madmorgan

heads up theres 6 batts and full metal head and swash on sale for 40 bucks plus 4 sets of blades  that is a great deal!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.