Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Airwolf helicopter purchase (Be careful)

Hi everyone. New to the site and this is my first post. I'm over here in Newfoundland, Canada.I've been dabbling in RC stuff for a year or more and enjoying it. Ran into a snag purchasing a heli from Australia though and figured I'd post here just to warn anyone who might be considering buying a RTF built helicopter from RC Helicopters and hobbies in Australia. IT arrived DOA and not great folks to deal with.

This Helicopter that was purchased from RC Helicopters and Hobbies in Australia. The Helicopter was DOA out of the box. I personally found the company terrible to deal with and we had to file a claim with PayPal which we won and sent the helicopter back. When it arrived in Australia they still refused to accept it because of a $50. import fee on their end but PayPal issued a full refund anyway. THANK YOU PayPal! Also when buying an item such as this Heli the shipping cost to me from australia was $200 BUT to return it cost me $850. Why? Who knows. Maybe Australia's postal system is subsidised? Why did I send it back? Becuase although the cost to return it was through the roof it was the principal of the thing. I think these sellers know IF there's an issue they'll never have to deal with it becuase you'll never want to send it back to them. In my case they were very wrong!
    Buyer beware dealing with this company.
    For anyone that's interested here is my story and their site link.

http://rchelicoptersandhobbies.com.au/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6jfR...1&feature=plcp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Airwolf helicopter purchase (Be careful)

My question is why would you order from Australia?
    Trex 450 Pro / Trex 500 / Trex 600E
    microbeast Ikon Ikon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Solman

My question is why would you order from Australia?
    Where else can you purchase a heli like that in North America?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

From looking at your video, it looks like a Trex 600 with a airwolf body. I don't know about RTF, but the Trex 600 and airwolf bodies are dime a dozen. You could've easily built it yourself for about the same money or even cheaper. If you do a build like that, make sure you have it flying good before you put it in a scale body. BTW, just out of curiosity what is your heli flying experience?
    microbeast Ikon Ikon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was just pricing the stuff and I estimate that a trex 600 with the airwolf body would be around $1100 U.S. That is not including a radio. Or for about $300 more, you could go flybarless on it. That is depending on what unit you would want to use.
    microbeast Ikon Ikon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just watched your video again and noticed a few interesting things.

1. You said that you were flipping switches and it fired up. Sounds like what happened is that you disengaged the throttle hold.

2. You said that you had to give it full throttle to stop. In the radio, most likely the throttle is reversed.

If I didn't hear correctly, feel free to correct me.
    microbeast Ikon Ikon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Solman. Your right. It do look like a trex 600 but it was a clone. The heli was built by Helicopters & Hobbies in Australia and they talk about the quality they put into each and every build. When the heli arrived the windshield wouldn't fit. There was windows missing, the retracks wouldn't function properly and there was no throttle response at all. All switches were in their forward position as stated in the start up instructions. When I started moving these switches I did get the throttle working but it was in reverse. Not good for a quality, tested heli.
    I later found out that Australia works on a different frequency and that the heli shouldn't have been shipped to Canada to begin with.

This heli was a gift from my two military sons and I have to admit it left a bitter taste in my mouth. I've been into the RC hobby for a few years but my main passion is in restoring, machining and fabricating. If you look at the background of the video you'll see my work. I appreciate the info and questions. I think I'll be building my own heli next after I get this bad experience out of my mind lol

Paypal looked after me here. They reimbursed my orginal cost and shipping. I'm working on getting back my return shipping. I only posted this thread to give other folks in the RC hobby a heads up. These sellers were very rude to deal with after the sale and although they told us to ship it back, when we did they went crazy. When the heli arrived back at Astralian customs they refused to pay the $50. Customs charge to release it which they could get back anyway. They tried every angle to get out of this. They even complained to YouTube about my video and again like PayPal, YouTube ruled in my favor.

Here is some info I received from a Canadian RC site.

Just a reminder to you and anyone else.
    Australia works on a different frequency in the Mhz world
    which is illegal to use here as it interferes with Emergency bands.
    As well there radios are setup completely different, no one would ever
    dare to try it unless it was a purposeful crash. I don't think we would
    be able to support any tech questions as well. Just in the mech side

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

On the restoration projects, I figured that when I watched the video. I figured it was a clone, it would be cheaper for them to build. It is also the ESP version as well. If you are wanting one built, let me know and I can help you with that.
    microbeast Ikon Ikon

You really are lucky that you did not get hurt, and or killed! However, I feel that even though you most likely did get a sub par helicopter...it would not have made a difference even if you did not. I only say this because after watching your video it is quite obvious that you know very little about RC helicopters...and at least all you suffered was a loss of some money and a "bruise" to your arm. IF you had not had the issues you had, you may have been hurt a lot worse or even killed...or even worse...hurt or killed a bystander!

Anything of the 450 size and larger has the ability to kill. Even a 250 size heli could do considerable damage and even maim or kill given it hits you just right. But enough of that already!

From watching the video it is quite clear that the heli throttle channel was reversed. This is the only way it could have WOT at low stick and no throttle at full stick. Also, you said you started flipping switches and then it reacted. This tells me that you hit throttle hold, turning it off. This is a safety feature so you can prepare the heli for flight by plugging in batteries, etc. Also, TH allows you to cut power to the motor if you see a crash is inevitable...thus breaking far less parts during the contact with the ground.

You base your opinion that the heli wasnt test flown by circumstantial evidence. Maybe they have a set of "test blades" at the factory. That way they can include a brand new set of blades when shipping out. This would explain why there are no marks on the blades when you recieved theheli. Also, maybe they use a different radio to test fly the heli at the factory...thus the reason the throttle channel was reversed. Im just guessing here...you could also be correct...but, you could just as easily be wrong about that based on the circumstantial evidence you saw.

Im not advocating for the company. Until this thread, I had never even heard of the company. And I dont want to come off as "bashing you" by any means. I really do feel sorry for your loss of money and frustration of the whole ordeal. Its just you really cant jump into this hobby with a 600 size heli, and its even worse if you figure you can start out with a scale fuse on ANY heli being a beginner. There is more to it than just slapping a scale fuse on and flying it. Ive been into helis now for 3 years and am just now feeling like Im becoming a competent pilot. Ive not even begun to start into scale fuses as I know they require a bit more attention to get right.

Outside of micro planes...and a few other smaller planes, Ive never had ANY model fly right out of the box. They ALL require some experience in the hobby and be gone over 100% before even attempting to power them up. I wont put my life or any bystanders in jeapordy to a company down the street, let alone half way across the world. And if I dont have the skill to give it a once, no twice-over...I get someone with more experience to do so. Its just not worth the risk, IMO. I would do this even with a brand name heli such as Align. They are mass produced things and quality control can be lacking at times, even with the best companies.

I hope this doesnt put a bad taste in your mouth for the hobby. Like I said...you were lucky that you were out some money and only suffered a bruise to your arm. It definitely could have been a lot worse! If RChelicopters is still something you are interested in...get yourself a good SIM and practice lots. Then go out and buy a Blade mCPX to see if you can actually translate what you learned on the SIM to the real thing. If so...go and get you a 500 clone and build it up. Building your own heli makes you learn every aspect of how they work. Without the theory of setup being fully understood...you wont stick with the hobby long as you will be working on it a lot when new....and still work on it a good deal making sure everything is working properly, replacing broken/worn parts, etc...

I normally wouldnt even comment on a thread like this. But after watching your video and especially the part about you taking the heli to your local authorities to try and get it banned...was a little bit of over reaction, IMO. If you were more experienced, you could have fixed all of these issues within a few minutes/hours and had the heli flying properly and enjoying it. Rather, your inexperience caused you much grief and some personal injury and loss of money. Id just hate to see a lot of folks up there in the great North...get deprived of buying what they want just because one person went on a crusade for safety...when the reality they were in over their head with the heli from the start.

Again, please dont take this as a bash...just hopefully you will see I am trying to point out what isnt so obvisous to you right now. I do hope you stick with the hobby and get flying.It is a great, fun hobby!

Goodluck!

SpeedDemon
    ATVAlliance.Com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ATVAlliance

Again, please dont take this as a bash...just hopefully you will see I am trying to point out what isnt so obvisous to you right now. I do hope you stick with the hobby and get flying.It is a great, fun hobby!

Goodluck!

Well one thing I've learned about life is everyone's got an opinion and I appreciate reading yours. I never posted this to have a debate and if it's taken as a thread in poor taste the moderators can go ahead and delete it. No matter what this heli was the company could have handled the issue more professionally and everyone including PayPal agreed with me on that issue. For hem to tell me the heli lost its programming in transit was a bit much for me to take in. Remember. I didn't buy this, my sons did so I got caught in the middle. It was a nice gesture that went wrong. No matter what you say about me or my qualifications this company didn't provide me with a working RC unit like they promised. I've had RTF units work right out of the box and there's been three of them. You are entitled to your opinion.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Solman

On the restoration projects, I figured that when I watched the video. I figured it was a clone, it would be cheaper for them to build. It is also the ESP version as well. If you are wanting one built, let me know and I can help you with that.
    Thank you very much. I'll give that some thought

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No prob, I have a soft spot for Canucks. My folks are from Winnipeg.
    microbeast Ikon Ikon

ORIGINAL: Wildfire2

ORIGINAL: ATVAlliance

Goodluck!

Well one thing I've learned about life is everyone's got an opinion and I appreciate reading yours. I never posted this to have a debate and if it's taken as a thread in poor taste the moderators can go ahead and delete it. No matter what this heli was the company could have handled the issue more professionally and everyone including PayPal agreed with me on that issue. For hem to tell me the heli lost its programming in transit was a bit much for me to take in. Remember. I didn't buy this, my sons did so I got caught in the middle. It was a nice gesture that went wrong. No matter what you say about me or my qualifications this company didn't provide me with a working RC unit like they promised. I've had RTF units work right out of the box and there's been three of them. You are entitled to your opinion.

I didnt give my comments to be argumentative either. I just wanted to try and point out the fact to you that you were in over your head from the start and that you were very lucky to only suffer the loss that you did.

These machines areindeed, as you stated in your video "not toys". Also they are not an RC model that you can take up and fly around the sky without some practice and at least a minimum set of skills. And one as large as a 600...things can go wrong in a hurry.

Again, I wasnt trying to attack or flame you here in any way. And just because my words are of my own opinion doesnt make me wrong in what I said. If I look at the sky and say its blue, thats my opinion too but its still blue.

I do hope you get the rest of your money reimbursed for the shipping because I do agree that the company you dealt with probably could have handled their business much better than they did. But, I can also see where they probably seen your inexperience with electric RC models in general and automatically assumed that you had caused these issues(minus windshield which is clearly too small).

If you had been into the hobby a few years and had already learned a lot of what you needed to know about flying/maintaining an RC heli...you could have fixed all of those issues you had and only had to contact them about the poorly fitted cockpit windshield with a stern letter about how dissapointed in the quality of theirso called "full test flown" heli you purchased. They probably would have just shipped you another windshield and you would have learned about a company to never do business with again. And yes I do realize that this was a gift from your sons...but anyway.

I do wish you luck in the hobby and hope you do learn to fly helis. They are very challenging and as much of an adrenaline rush as anything Ive ever done...thats including fast motorcycles, rapelling, etc...

Ihope my words havent offended you, because I really do like to help out here on this site when I can. And if you ever need any help, I'll probably be one of the first responders to your post. No hard feelings okay?

SpeedDemon
    ATVAlliance.Com