RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Newbe with 450

Old 09-01-2012, 10:02 PM
auto-rotate

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Newbe with 450

Hey guys, I just registered here, and I'm looking for a few pointers. I don't have a local hobby shop, and no local flying clubs, so I'v been going on my own for awhile.

I started with a solo pro 180, and quickly found out that having to buy parts from china just doesn't cut it. About a month ago on one of my rare trips to the big city of nashville I stopped at Daniells Hobbies (great people!) and bought a used Blade 450 3d. I love it for the most part except I miss the instant action of the fbl from the solo pro. I have a good charger, 3 batts, a DX8, and a whole boatload of parts!

So I've been flying about 6 batts a day for at least 3 weeks now, and would like a "learning evaluation".
So far, I can, and in the order I have learned-
Hover perfectly
Fly forwards and back nicely
Feel fairly comfortable with either side in orientation and anything back to tail in. beyond 90 deg I start loosing it.
Fly left and right circles around me both tail in and nose forward flight.

Now here's what I have trouble with.
Flying too far out and getting dissoriented, turning flips, and sometimes saving it.. I'm thinking about mounting a carbon fiber rod with an orange ball out from the nose, what do you think? I never crash when flying in a confined area...
Nose in, I can't even do it. I've practiced through several batteries and all I do is slide around on the floor. My current thinking is keep on with figure 8s and just get more and more nose in time with them.

So am I on the right track?

How long does it normally take to learn nose in?

Thanks for any help or tips!
Old 09-02-2012, 02:30 AM
madmorgan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Newbe with 450

nose in is tough use the solo for that  to bad you didnt read the forums as you probably woulda went with the mcpx instead of that 450.  if your doing flips and stuff then your doing good or your very lucky, then again some learn quicker than others i  still havent tried inverted with any of my 450 and up helis  only my mcpx. i know finless bob on heli freaks has a video on how to take bright orange arm floats and cuts em down and rubber bands em to the skids so he can tell top and bottom theres a video on how to make em all you need is a vacuum bagger and the floaties.  kds sells bright tail blades in which you could put like neon green or orange on tails and even flybar paddles which help. other than that i would say learn nose in its always the hardest.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Solman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You should be learning your hovering orientations first. The 450 is small and having issues with seeing it far away isn't uncommon. One of the things you can do is get some bright orange cover tape from the LHS. Cut some pieces off and put in spots that you think it could help. I sometimes stick something on the tail to help. Finding a good canopy with colors that work also helps as well.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:43 AM
ATVAlliance

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Exactly as others above have already said...

I like bright colors on my canopy. I also prefer white blades over dark. And I usually put some bright tape on the end of my boom as well as on my tail blades.

Here is a pic of my 500 with tape on the tail blades(I havent put any on the boom as I had a crash and didnt want to go with orange and havent found any lime yellow at the LHS since the crash)

I also put on some lime yellow skids...this really helps orientation, but it is a 500 and orientation isnt that bad to begin with.

I find that it is easier for me to maintain the orientation of the heli by watching the main rotor disc as well as the main shaft angle. Thats just me, Ive heard other people talk about different things that make it easier for them to maintain where the heli is positioned in the sky.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59591.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1798673  

Search this Thread