Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Newbe with 450

Hey guys, I just registered here, and I'm looking for a few pointers. I don't have a local hobby shop, and no local flying clubs, so I'v been going on my own for awhile.

I started with a solo pro 180, and quickly found out that having to buy parts from china just doesn't cut it. About a month ago on one of my rare trips to the big city of nashville I stopped at Daniells Hobbies (great people!) and bought a used Blade 450 3d. I love it for the most part except I miss the instant action of the fbl from the solo pro. I have a good charger, 3 batts, a DX8, and a whole boatload of parts!

So I've been flying about 6 batts a day for at least 3 weeks now, and would like a "learning evaluation".
    So far, I can, and in the order I have learned-
    Hover perfectly
    Fly forwards and back nicely
    Feel fairly comfortable with either side in orientation and anything back to tail in. beyond 90 deg I start loosing it.
    Fly left and right circles around me both tail in and nose forward flight.

Now here's what I have trouble with.
    Flying too far out and getting dissoriented, turning flips, and sometimes saving it.. I'm thinking about mounting a carbon fiber rod with an orange ball out from the nose, what do you think? I never crash when flying in a confined area...
    Nose in, I can't even do it. I've practiced through several batteries and all I do is slide around on the floor. My current thinking is keep on with figure 8s and just get more and more nose in time with them.

So am I on the right track?

How long does it normally take to learn nose in?

Thanks for any help or tips!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Newbe with 450

nose in is tough use the solo for that  to bad you didnt read the forums as you probably woulda went with the mcpx instead of that 450.  if your doing flips and stuff then your doing good or your very lucky, then again some learn quicker than others i  still havent tried inverted with any of my 450 and up helis  only my mcpx. i know finless bob on heli freaks has a video on how to take bright orange arm floats and cuts em down and rubber bands em to the skids so he can tell top and bottom theres a video on how to make em all you need is a vacuum bagger and the floaties.  kds sells bright tail blades in which you could put like neon green or orange on tails and even flybar paddles which help. other than that i would say learn nose in its always the hardest.
    if you dont know you better ask somebody ! usarmy active 1989-1997, 1990 desert sheild /desert storm, 1993 somolia .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You should be learning your hovering orientations first. The 450 is small and having issues with seeing it far away isn't uncommon. One of the things you can do is get some bright orange cover tape from the LHS. Cut some pieces off and put in spots that you think it could help. I sometimes stick something on the tail to help. Finding a good canopy with colors that work also helps as well.

Trex 450 Pro / Trex 500 / Trex 600E
    microbeast Ikon Ikon

Exactly as others above have already said...

I like bright colors on my canopy. I also prefer white blades over dark. And I usually put some bright tape on the end of my boom as well as on my tail blades.

Here is a pic of my 500 with tape on the tail blades(I havent put any on the boom as I had a crash and didnt want to go with orange and havent found any lime yellow at the LHS since the crash)

I also put on some lime yellow skids...this really helps orientation, but it is a 500 and orientation isnt that bad to begin with.

I find that it is easier for me to maintain the orientation of the heli by watching the main rotor disc as well as the main shaft angle. Thats just me, Ive heard other people talk about different things that make it easier for them to maintain where the heli is positioned in the sky.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu59591.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	1798673  
    SpeedDemon
    ATVAlliance.Com