Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

fact or fiction

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 10:14 AM
shocker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fact or fiction

is there any issues of using hydrimax [nimh] batteries in helis? vibration, loads, power consumption? ive seen so many do's and dont's i figured id just let you guys hammer it out and see what comes out about it. so lets get this party started !!!!!
Old 09-09-2003, 10:30 AM
Steve Campbell2

Default RE: fact or fiction

There were several issues at one time. NiMH batteries were developed for lap-tops and other high-energy electronics. They did NOT like temperature extremes or vibration; and if the cells weren't evenly matched at the time the pack was put together, they would suffer early venting. Thus, many failed at inopportune times, and the lore that they "had problems" began.

All that is history. NiMHs are in common, and satisfactory, use now in r/c models. Their chief advantages are lighter size and weigh for equivalent NiCD capacity/run time; or, looked at another way, an equivalent size NiMH will have a good deal more capacity and run time. I have a 1650 NiMH pack that is the same size and weight as "standard" 600 mAh receiver packs found in radio sets.

Of course, lithium poly is the thing now; if you care to mortgage your first-born...

Steve
Old 09-09-2003, 02:09 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

The cost difference to get NiMh is very slight. I don't know why anyone would buy NiCads for all the reasons Steve mentioned. They say the NiMh is more environmentally friendly as well.

Tom
Old 09-16-2003, 07:42 AM
Lift
My Feedback: (1)

I run 2700 NIMH packs in my helis because they are CCPM and suck a little more juice. Matter of fact I burn ~350mah per flight in the summer. So, I can get alot of flights but they tend to really dump the voltage after awhile in the air. From what I can tell NIMH doesn't seem to retain the voltage as well as NICD.

The only downside that I see to this chemistry is that down here in Houston when it actually gets cold the cells seem to have maybe 75% of their rated capacity. What I mean is that in cold whether they packs seem to loose voltage alot quicker. I only fly these packs about 4 tanks in the winter before recharge. But, in the summer I could easily get 6-8 depending on flying(ie 3D, autos, or hovering).

So, if you live in a cold weather climate you might want to consider this aspect.