Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

wildcat fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 03:42 AM
3-d expert
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wildcat fuel

You know alot also has to do with the age of the engine. Newer low time engine can tolerate the nitro changes better than a well broken in engine. The ring gets tempered to the heat range of the engine , so running a different fuel may require a lean run to acheive the right operating temp.
Old 05-13-2002, 03:51 AM
DavidH

Default wildcat fuel

Yeah what your saying may be true, but in my case these engines had probably 150+ gallons thru them. Curtis switches nitro content regularly going from 15 to 30 and 30 to 15. I know his engines are usually not low time engines, all I ever see him do is tweak the needles couple of clicks and the engine is running the same as it always does. Only difference is the power output is different according to what precentage nitro he is using.

David
Old 05-13-2002, 01:22 PM
Ergo60

Default wildcat fuel

I have done the same, switching from 15-30 and then from 30-15, and never needed more than a few click to adjust it back in where it should be. I run 30 most all the time, but if I run out and have some 15 laying around I use it. Or if I run out at the field and my buddy only has 15 then I will use it as well. Never had any bad luck with it, and ither than a little less power the 15 runs ok.
Old 05-13-2002, 01:28 PM
3-d expert

Default wildcat fuel

No one is saying that you can't go back and forth or that the engine won’t work with switching nitro but for the engine's life it's not a good practice. You should stick with one nitro as a practice.
Old 05-13-2002, 02:18 PM
Ergo60

Default wildcat fuel

Wouldnt that be the same as saying switching from 87 octane to 93 octane in your car is bad?

I really dont feel that switching does any harm. I have several years of running an engine with switching nitro level, and as long as you adjust the needls it shouldnt do any "Extra" harm. I do know that running higher nitro levels may shorten the life of the motor, but switching levels shouldnt.

In short:
The act of changing nitro levels is not what shortens the life of the motor, it is the "using of higher nitro" that shortens the life of the motor.
Old 05-13-2002, 02:30 PM
3-d expert

Default wildcat fuel

"Wouldnt that be the same as saying switching from 87 octane to 93 octane in your car is bad? "

No , car engine's are not 2-cycle engines that rely on oil cooling them.

"In short:
The act of changing nitro levels is not what shortens the life of the motor, it is the "using of higher nitro" that shortens the life of the motor."

No , running a high nitro burning engine lean will shorten the life.
Do to pre-detonation , exssive heat, lack of enough oil etc , not the nitro it's self.
Nice try.
Old 05-13-2002, 04:06 PM
flmgrip
My Feedback: (2)

Default wildcat fuel

kids, take this to a different thread (or outside); this got nothing to do with wildcat fuel...

thanks
Old 05-13-2002, 04:17 PM
3-d expert

Default wildcat fuel

oo I'm sorry I taught we were discussing fuel (wildcat fuel)and the running of engines using it. I guess this doesn’t pertain to the topic?? Let's not get carried away please. Were still on the the same page.
Old 05-13-2002, 05:09 PM
=XGC= OzZ

Default Change you plug

Change your plug, start from the beginning on your needle .
Start from scratch.

Please keep the post on track thanks guys.
thank you.
Old 05-13-2002, 05:25 PM
3-d expert

Default wildcat fuel

Who's bashing ???
Old 05-13-2002, 07:04 PM
Ergo60

Default wildcat fuel

Realy, I have not taken anything 3-d expert or I have posted as bashing. I am just discussing the ideas here. And it does have to do with fuel so why not talk about it.

Anyways, Ok, I get the point about the 4cycle engine, and maybe it was a bad analogy,

No , running a high nitro burning engine lean will shorten the life.
I remember in my post stating that you DO have to adjust the needle when you change the nitro content of the fuel that you are running, but I still stand that it is not the changing of fuel, but the fuel itself. The higher nitro content fuels do put more strain on the engine, and thus will shorten the life, how much I do not know, but I like the feel of 30%, but I will use 15% if that is the only other chioce besides not flying.

Back to you.....

PS...Lets not get to touchy here....
Old 05-13-2002, 07:39 PM
3-d expert

Default wildcat fuel

I'm with Ergo60 their is no bashing here , let's not be touchy were here to learn and exchange ideas. And that's what were are doing.
Old 05-13-2002, 07:42 PM
Kirk-RCU
My Feedback: (8)

Default wildcat fuel

I've noticed a trend on these RC Boards that Moderator's tend to JUMP in WAY, WAY too fast!!

MAN let the people have there say!!! Here's a WACKY Idea..... NO MODERATOR sections!! How many vote for that???

Just ONE man's opinion!!

NOW so that no one get's too up set, I did have to adjust the needle valve quite allot when I swithched to the wild cat. I have noticed that as I fly it more and more, that the power that was there is returning!!

Kirk
Old 05-13-2002, 08:10 PM
DavidH

Default wildcat fuel

Yeah I didn't seem to think anyone was bashing anyone. Just different opinions being exchanged about using different precentages of nitro in the same engine. But I cast one vote for the no moderation of the forum.

David
Old 05-13-2002, 08:43 PM
=XGC= OzZ

Default Sorry guys

I jumped the gun, read the post wrong .
I apology's again.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:46 PM
Kirk-RCU

Default wildcat fuel

HEY????

OSMax::::::

YOUR http://zg77_ozz.tripod.com link does not work???

Kirk
Old 05-13-2002, 08:47 PM
=XGC= OzZ

Default It works

I do not know why you cannot get in.
What browser are you using?
Old 05-13-2002, 08:49 PM
Kirk-RCU

Default wildcat fuel

I'm using Internet Explorer 5.5 here is the message I get:

ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved

Kirk
Old 05-14-2002, 03:32 AM
flmgrip

Default wildcat fuel

kirk, whenever you switch fuel, especially to a different brand, it is quite normal to have a adjustment time from 1 gallon or so...

to all those others: the reason why i did ask to take this somewhere else (in that matter: to a new thread) is simple. all of this is really interesting BUT it has nothing to do with the original topic of this thread, asking people about there experience with wildcat fuel, NOT the difference in needle settings and nitro.

so start a new thread with the right headline and people will read it and learn from it, but we are here on page four now and i bet a lot of people don't even read it (even though they might be interested in needle settings and all) because the topic is "wildcat"

as for the moderator: moderators are needed and there to keep the peace and cleanness of these forums. ZG77_OzZ made a mistake (he is only human as well) and apologized for it...
Old 05-14-2002, 08:38 PM
BPIII

Default wildcat fuel

I understand your point and can appreciate it but I have seen posts get off topic and this example pales in comparison. From what I have seen across the internet, you're lucky we are not trying to kill each other right now . So going from fuel to needle settings is tame by comparison. Besides, this thread probably attracted several wildcat users and asking them what their settings are is not totally out of line. If I see a post get to four pages without a flame then it is a good day on the net and I am content with that. IMHO.
Old 05-15-2002, 01:33 AM
flmgrip

Default wildcat fuel

whatever makes you happy...